Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet pilots' union says federal arbitration may be needed to avert a strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet pilots' union says federal arbitration may be needed to avert a strike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:18 am

Thank you so much!!!
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Originally Posted by Brendacruise
WestJet is saying on Twitter full refunds will be offered if strike happens. I’m thinking they won’t be arranging different airlines for us
From my reading of the APPR a strike is listed as a delay outside of the airlines control
Situations outside airline control include: war or political instability; illegal acts or sabotage; meteorological conditions or natural disasters that make the safe operation of the aircraft impossible; instructions from air traffic control; a Notice to Airmen (as defined in the Canadian Aviation Regulations); a security threat; airport operation issues; a medical emergency; a collision with wildlife; a labour disruption within the carrier or within an essential service provider such as an airport or an air navigation service provider; a manufacturing defect in an aircraft that reduces the safety of passengers and that was identified by the manufacturer of the aircraft concerned, or by a competent authority; and an order or instruction from an official of a state or a law enforcement agency or from a person responsible for airport security
So no compensation for the delay or food / hotel provided.
However the airline is still required to provide a refund or alternate travel arrangements
The airline (large or small) must rebook you on its next available flight or on the flight of an airline with which it has a commercial agreement. The flight must depart within 48 hours after your original departure time. If the airline cannot rebook you within 48 hours, the airline must, at your choice:
  • Provide a refund; or
  • Make alternate travel arrangements, free of charge. The details of the new flight depend on the size of the airline, as follows.

If you chose alternate travel arrangements

Large airlines
Large airlines* must rebook you on a flight operated by any airline. The new flight must take any reasonable route out of the same airport or from a nearby airport to your destination. In that case, they will also have to transport you to that airport.

*The size of the airline is listed in the terms and conditions of your ticket (the airline's tariff). Air Canada (including Jazz) and WestJet are currently large airlines.
Small airlines(omitted for this post)

If you chose a refund and you're no longer at your point of origin

If your trip no longer serves its purpose because of the delay or cancellation, and you're no longer at your point of origin (for example, if you are at a connecting point), then the airline (large or small) must rebook you on a flight back to your point of origin that accommodates your travel needs, free of charge, and refund the entire ticket (as if no part of the trip had been made).
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:03 pm

So if you are booked in business would they have to provide business class through a different airline?
I looked at my travel insurance and it only covers economy which is fine but disappointing lol 🤷‍♀️ my return is May 28 WestJet which may be affected
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Polar Man
From my reading of the APPR a strike is listed as a delay outside of the airlines control

So no compensation for the delay or food / hotel provided.
However the airline is still required to provide a refund or alternate travel arrangements
Hmm so from that is WestJet essentially required to book us on a flight with another airline to our destination even though the delay is outside of their control?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Polar Man
For the European flights though, strikes by an airlines employees has been ruled within the airlines control, thus subject to compensation under EC261. How is WS for living up to their EC261 obligations? I have a BCN-YYC on May 31.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: AC 35k
There's no way WestJet is going to rebook anyone, they will just cancel and refund because it will be cheaper - Air Canada cannot absorb all of WestJet's North American network. They may "rebook you" if you call in and wait 48 hours for someone to pick up.

And in what universe is a labour disruption "outside the carrier's control?"
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
There's no way WestJet is going to rebook anyone, they will just cancel and refund because it will be cheaper - Air Canada cannot absorb all of WestJet's North American network. They may "rebook you" if you call in and wait 48 hours for someone to pick up.

I agree. And they even said refund. Not a mention of rebooking. Get insurance!!
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:20 pm

From the British Airways forum on EC261: "The big development this year was the ruling from the CEDR that strikes that take place within a particular airline are not extraordinary circumstances. The case being Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH, case C-195/17 and others."

It's in post #1: The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261
cirrusdragoon likes this.

Last edited by Jagboi; Apr 24, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:24 pm

There's no way WestJet is going to rebook anyone, they will just cancel and refund because it will be cheaper
From the EC261 regulations that is not the airlines decision - it is the passengers if they want to be rebooked or accept a refund. The airline can't unilaterally foist a refund on the passenger and wash their hands of the passenger. The regulations state that the passenger can accept a refund, or must be offered re-routing ‘under comparable transport conditions’ and ‘at the earliest opportunity’.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Originally Posted by aerobod
May 16th is the earliest day they can be legally in a strike position (they are currently coming to the end of the 60 days of arbitration, before the 21 day cooling-off period), then they will need to give 72 hours strike notice. It is unlikely they won't comply with legal requirements, so 19th May would be the first day a strike or lock-out could actually take place.
Does the 72 hour clock start May 13th or the 16th?

Per ALPA: "The pilots will be in a legal position to commence job action May 16; however, ALPA remains committed to the bargaining process and will make their negotiators available during the 21-day cooling-off period, which is set to expire May 13. If no agreement has been reached at that time, ALPA will be able to file a 72-hour strike notice."

I have travel on WJ booked May 17th so I'm hoping you are correct, but the wording makes me think they can give strike notice on the 13th to begin 72h later on the 16th.

Regardless - my return is booked for the following week so I will be affected regardless. Given my travel was a Delta SkyMiles redemption, in the event my flight gets canceled DL would be the one responsible for rebooking me and not WJ right?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms

I agree.
The wording is ambiguous (to me anyway) and I think it means 16th could be the first day of actual industrial action. I have a return booked on WS for May 16 so I took the precaution of booking a fully refundable one way YHZ-YYZ-YVR on Porter - which is admittedly a roll of the dice in itself, but significantly cheaper than AC. I am working on the assumption that if WS strikes on May 16 they will just shut down and refund. They will probably rebook passengers who are outside Canada but I think domestic passengers will be left on their own - holding refunds but no booking.
In my case, if the strike either does not occur or occurs after May 16 I can get home on WS and refund my Porter ticket.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Brendacruise
I agree. And they even said refund. Not a mention of rebooking. Get insurance!!
Although under the APPR its the customer's choice whether they get a refund or a rebooking so I guess it will be up to WestJet to decide if they want to follow that.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by yamanote8
Does the 72 hour clock start May 13th or the 16th?

Per ALPA: "The pilots will be in a legal position to commence job action May 16; however, ALPA remains committed to the bargaining process and will make their negotiators available during the 21-day cooling-off period, which is set to expire May 13. If no agreement has been reached at that time, ALPA will be able to file a 72-hour strike notice."

I have travel on WJ booked May 17th so I'm hoping you are correct, but the wording makes me think they can give strike notice on the 13th to begin 72h later on the 16th.

Regardless - my return is booked for the following week so I will be affected regardless. Given my travel was a Delta SkyMiles redemption, in the event my flight gets canceled DL would be the one responsible for rebooking me and not WJ right?
I may have miscounted based on the filing date, I thought it was 13 Feb, but it looks like it was actually 10 Feb. The strike position is 15+60+21+3 days (98 days total for mediator appointment + mediation + cooling off + strike notice). Although the mediator has to be appointed within 15 days from the filing, that may have been fulfilled sooner and started the clock on mediation sooner, too.

They may decide for maximum effect to call a strike assuming it happens, to start at the beginning of the long weekend, as opposed to the earliest date.

Last edited by aerobod; Apr 24, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by yamanote8
Given my travel was a Delta SkyMiles redemption, in the event my flight gets canceled DL would be the one responsible for rebooking me and not WJ right?
Of course a strike is different, but after Westjet schedule changes that made an itinerary require overnighting, Delta rebooked me on Delta metal without asking for more miles (the itinerary on DL was a lot more expensive). On the flip side, when Westjet pulled out of some Maritime destinations that Delta did not serve, then Delta said that the Delta award tickets on Westjet that I had to one of those destinations could not be honored and had to be cancelled; they could not transfer award tickets to non-Westjet/non-ST flights. So, it will be interesting to see what transpires with Delta award tickets on Westjet if there is a Westjet strike and Delta does not fly to where you need to go...
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Originally Posted by aerobod
They may decide for maximum effect to call a strike assuming it happens, to start at the beginning of the long weekend, as opposed to the earliest date.
Yeah, sounds like it would be the 16th when they can actually take action which doesn't bode well for me, but I was thinking the same (that they'd finish off the week and walk off Fri/Sat).

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Of course a strike is different, but after Westjet schedule changes that made an itinerary require overnighting, Delta rebooked me on Delta metal without asking for more miles (the itinerary on DL was a lot more expensive). On the flip side, when Westjet pulled out of some Maritime destinations that Delta did not serve, then Delta said that the Delta award tickets on Westjet that I had to one of those destinations could not be honored and had to be cancelled; they could not transfer award tickets to non-Westjet/non-ST flights. So, it will be interesting to see what transpires with Delta award tickets on Westjet if there is a Westjet strike and Delta does not fly to where you need to go...
Thanks for the insight. Thankfully I'm flying to a US destination so there are a myriad of Delta metal flights (albeit with a connect rather than the WS direct) that would be a rebooking possibility. I'll keep an eye on this and hope it doesn't progress to that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.