Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet pilots' union says federal arbitration may be needed to avert a strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet pilots' union says federal arbitration may be needed to avert a strike

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by aerobod
I think 3 months of strike would probably put the company into an unrecoverable position due to having to shut down the operations completely again.

I wouldn’t rule out either a structured wind-up of the operation or potential bankruptcy of WS if they can’t see a way to profitability in the medium and long term.'
3-month strike? Bankruptcy? Care to make any Super Bowl predictions while you're at it?

Heavens forbid either eventuality however remote a possibility they may be.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052

3-month strike? Bankruptcy? Care to make any Super Bowl predictions while you're at it?

Heavens forbid either eventuality however remote a possibility they may be.
Difficult to tell if they are remote possibilities as there is a lot of anger in the pilot group leading to entrenchment and it seems just as much entrenchment on the WS/Onex side, but I think a strike of any length would finish the company from the point of view of continued Onex financial support - they have put a couple of their larger investments into receivership in the past (Hawker/Beechcraft and Magnatrax). It depends on what the Government mediation does to try and find a middle ground, but if either side doesn't abide by the mediation recommendations (ALPA is already saying it wouldn't go to binding arbitration), then we could be in for a long strike. The current ALPA posture seems to be to try and gain as much sympathy to their cause as possible, but ignoring the Government recommendations would be problematic to that posture. As I previously mentioned, WS won't be able to say much, other than agreeing to the mediation, due to the nature of legal implications of coming over as anti-union.

Also difficult to know if the Government would agree to back-to-work legislation forced on the pilots if there was a strike, as the alternative is significant travel paralysis in Western Canada, likely during peak summer travel. Some of the vacuum would be filled by the ULCCs and possibly Porter, but their aircraft orders are only early in the delivery cycle, Air Canada would likely not provide a lot of additional capacity if it affects what already could be a fully utilized fleet.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:52 pm

Work to rule can be an expensive proposition too.
I was on a UA flight years ago during one of it's labour difficulties.
The pilots managed to find a "dent" after passenger boarding.
It took engineering two hours to determine it was of an acceptable size.

Pilots can taxi slower. That increase fuel burn and employee compensation.
Other tricks in the book too.
aerobod likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Does anyone have a best guess as to when (what dates) strike action is likely to occur?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Does anyone have a best guess as to when (what dates) strike action is likely to occur?
Earliest for a legal strike is mid-May, based on the ALPA mediation request and the mandated negotiation and cooling off periods.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by aerobod
Earliest for a legal strike is mid-May, based on the ALPA mediation request and the mandated negotiation and cooling off periods.
So hypothetically, if I was in possession of a hypothetical booking YVR-YYC-YHZ with a return a couple of weeks later in in "mid May" I should look at booking a fully refundable YHZ-YVR on AC....just in case..hypothetically.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 8:29 pm

You may want to read through some of the other forum Aerobod has been posting in.
May long weekend would have more of an impact than mid May.
Mid May is the earliest a strike can happen.
Reality, strike date could be pushed back, if there's some positive direction to negotiations and/or legal challenges that delay work stoppage.
If there is a strike, there is still an obligation of WS to get ticketed passengers to their destination.
There are still management pilots that can do a bit of flying. Third tier airlines can be brought in.

Don't panic. Make sure you have good credit card travel insurance.
aerobod likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by tracon
You may want to read through some of the other forum Aerobod has been posting in.
May long weekend would have more of an impact than mid May.
Mid May is the earliest a strike can happen.
Reality, strike date could be pushed back, if there's some positive direction to negotiations and/or legal challenges that delay work stoppage.
If there is a strike, there is still an obligation of WS to get ticketed passengers to their destination.
There are still management pilots that can do a bit of flying. Third tier airlines can be brought in.

Don't panic. Make sure you have good credit card travel insurance.
Wow , good analysis Aerobod. It is a scary 50/50 probability Onex could file WS for insolvency. I mean Virgin Australia did it voluntarily.
aerobod likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Feb 13, 2023 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Wow , good analysis Aerobod. It is a scary 50/50 probability Onex could file WS for insolvency. I mean Virgin Australia did it voluntarily.
Thanks for that Cirrusdragoon. To be clear, my opinion is a 50/50 probability of the company being put into bankruptcy IF there is a lengthy strike (such as 3 months), not 50/50 in other circumstances where there is limited disruption, I think the overall probability is a lot less. The 50/50 is based on the asset value of the company being degraded to essentially zero due to the lengthy disruption and the loss of other key staff, especially if there are layoffs across all employees.

Virgin Australia / Virgin Blue has been on a parallel path to WS in many respects and has had very similar wins and challenges over the years with Qantas being their Air Canada, together with their CASM/RASM, aging workforce and Covid loses being very similar to WS.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:55 pm

Strike vote authorized by the union is what I'm hearing.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
The inside rumour mill puts the target directly on the May long weekend. I changed a planned trip to stay out of the back half of May entirely on WS.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:11 pm

Thank goodness AC still allows cancel for credit. Time to make some back-up bookings for my upcoming travels this spring.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
The inside rumour mill puts the target directly on the May long weekend. I changed a planned trip to stay out of the back half of May entirely on WS.
Hopefully the rumored timeline leaves my 09 - 13 May WS trip unscathed.

Shame if a strike does happen as it only shows the inability of both sides to find common ground and may further damage the airline's brand.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
So I have a trip on WS to CDG planned at the end of May. I guess it's time to start researching some alternatives while hoping its resolved by then.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by czmuac
So I have a trip on WS to CDG planned at the end of May. I guess it's time to start researching some alternatives while hoping its resolved by then.
I would think that the overseas routes will be WJ's #1 priority to keep running in the event of a strike. You can't show weakness in those developing overseas markets. I would assume those flights would be most likely to run with management pilots, but like yourself, I would also have a backup plan in my pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.