Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet cancels all flights out of B.C., Ontario due to winter storms Dec 22-23

Old Dec 22, 2022, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K

In B.C, WestJet said it has cancelled all flights arriving and departing from Vancouver International Airport starting at 11:50 p.m. PST on Thursday until Friday late afternoon, depending on weather conditions. Flights have also also been cancelled at at Abbotsford International Airport, Victoria International Airport, Nanaimo Airport and Comox Airport.

A second significant winter storm system is forecast to sweep Vancouver and the Southern B.C. region on Thursday evening.
In Ontario, WestJet said it has cancelled all flights arriving and departing from Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Friday, starting at 9 a.m. ET on Friday until the end of the day. The airline said a "restart" depends on weather conditions by Saturday.
​​​​​​​https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...orms-1.6696238
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:00 am

From an internal memo I read...........

We have stopped selling tickets on our website up to December 26 and have paused all advertising.

Poor wording by WS employee
https://www.grandforksgazette.ca/new...d-in-victoria/

“they don’t have enough qualified pilots that can fly in this weather,”

For the record, all WS pilots can fly in this weather.

Last edited by tracon; Dec 23, 2022 at 12:24 am
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:59 am

Westjet being over cautious because it wants to be able to restart ASAP after the storm passes, or they are just bad with crew and staff management compared to Air Canada ?
Old Dec 23, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Westjet being over cautious because it wants to be able to restart ASAP after the storm passes, or they are just bad with crew and staff management compared to Air Canada ?
Good question as to why Westjet is cancelling far more routes than AC? Almost everything cancelled into YVR by Westjet today. AC has plenty of cancellations too but are flying many of the same routes that WestJet has cancelled.

Lots of people either going to be stranded or miss their over-Christmas plans not only domestically but popular YVR destinations like Hawaii and Mexico.

I can only attribute it to over-caution.

Current precipitation for me (in Delta, south of YVR) is ice-pellets likely turning to freezing rain in a couple of hours until it gets above 0 mid-afternoon.
LogicalPsycho likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Preemptive cancellations seem to be the norm for WestJet when the weather is forecast to be terrible. We saw it during the last YVR storm in November, and I'm surprised that they didn't do it for the first round of storms at YVR earlier this week.

While it's too early to tell, theoretically, this preemptive action should mean a better experience and more flights once the weather passes compared to if they'd struggled through it.
aerobod likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 9:01 am

From what I understand, the last snowstorm in YVR packed more of a punch than initially forecast, so perhaps WS felt it could still operate into/out of YVR based on the initial forecast.
aerobod likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy
From what I understand, the last snowstorm in YVR packed more of a punch than initially forecast, so perhaps WS felt it could still operate into/out of YVR based on the initial forecast.
Pre-emptive cancellation is very dependent on accurate weather forecasting and for best effect needs to be planned 72 hours in advance but at minimum 24 hours, to ensure the whole fleet and crew are in the optimum location on re-start. A very significant decision, but will help them and the majority of passengers a lot through Christmas I think, compared with muddling through the weather event.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:24 am
Original Poster

YVR-OGG has ben canceled two days in a row. I'm wondering what happens to those who are there, when subsequent flights are pretty much full these days.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
Pre-emptive cancellation is very dependent on accurate weather forecasting and for best effect needs to be planned 72 hours in advance but at minimum 24 hours, to ensure the whole fleet and crew are in the optimum location on re-start. A very significant decision, but will help them and the majority of passengers a lot through Christmas I think, compared with muddling through the weather event.
In the couple of days leading up to Tuesday's dump the forecast was varying from 2-4 cm to 5-10 cm. What actually happened was over 30 cm where I am close to YVR.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:37 am

Air Transat hardly cancelled any flight to South
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:52 pm

This approach is more efficient than cancelling them one at a time; their management of the events at YVR this week would embarrass a third world bus company.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Perhaps too WestJet simply looked at their load factors and realized if those flights cancelled, they couldn't accommodate anyone on future flights. Better they do it now and give people notice to try to make alternative plans then keep them stuck at airports. It sucks, but better than what they've done in the past which is zero communication.
unclepants and LogicalPsycho like this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:13 pm

Probably for the best. At least it gives the passengers extra time to find alternative arrangements rather than showing up at the airport only to find out your flight has been cancelled.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Westjet cancels Christmas

It is NOT better for passengers needing to be somewhere.not at all. AC got me to YYZ and I am very grateful. A Jazz FA told me that the main reason for Westjets recent cancellations was that a good number of the lot outsourced ground crews had quit and were hired by AC for more $$. Not sure how much there is to that but not all their cancellations are due to weather. Arguably they owe compensation as theyve made a business decision with others still flying.
Antonio8069 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Arguably they owe compensation as theyve made a business decision with others still flying.
It's not much - if they can't get you where you need to go in 48 hours they have to offer a refund and I think they've done that already for everyone between now and the 26th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.