Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Westjet give compensation for downgrades from premium to economy

Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:07 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Purchased a business fare from Dublin to Victoria. The Dublin flight was almost 3 hours late (no compensation given) and of course I missed my connection in Calgary. When I arrived in Calgary there was a stand with boarding passes for all of the passengers who missed there connections and they handed me a new one. This boarding pass from Calgary to Victoria had changed my seat from a premium seat to an economy seat as there were no premium seats left.

Not sure on the reason for the delay from Dublin. The flight was just over an hour late arriving into Dublin, but had presumably ground handling issues in Dublin that delayed it another 2 hours. The captain said we were waiting for refueling??

Feeling a little miffed at Westjet, especially for no apology email and was thinking about complaining. I flew most of the journey in business class Dublin to Calgary and realize there is no business class on non 787 flights,, but the short hop I was downgraded from Premium to Economy.

Does Westjet give out compensation for downgrades? If I write a letter to them what amount of compensation should I request?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: AC 35k
You are likely entitled to compensation under EU passenger protections, as the flight originated in Dublin.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:04 am

I cannot answer from experience about downgrade compensation but you should definitely make a claim under EC261/2004 for the delay in arrival at your final destination if you arrived more than 3 hours late in Victoria.
Air passenger rights - Your Europe (europa.eu)
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: WJ Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
Just a quick comment - no insight to the European passenger protections referenced, but definitely there is an option with WJ to seek out a refund for the downgrade: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/interr...refund-request - they will come back with a figure for you on the refund.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The WestJet international tariff does obligate WS to compensate for a downgrade, per rule 75(C)(5). Unfortunately, the compensation is limited to the fare difference on the applicable segment(s). You will likely find the amount laughable, insulting, or ridiculous, given that they tend to pro-rate based on distance and seem to always use expensive economy fares in determining the fare difference - this is not at all unique to WestJet, it's how many airlines handle these things.

In addition to the EU261 delay compensation mentioned by [MENTION=739020]YYCCL3[/MENTION], you might be owed EU261 downgrade compensation over and above the delay compensation (which may be more than what WS would calculate as fare difference, although it still probably won't be much), but I'm not an EU261 expert. Even though YYC-YYJ is a domestic Canadian flight, the delay compensation applies since you came in from DUB, but I don't know for sure whether the downgrade portion can also apply to a domestic onward connection.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 6, 2022 at 2:45 pm Reason: Corrected typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.