Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a common WestJet strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Is this a common WestJet strategy?

I booked a RT DEN-YYC back when the fares were ridiculously low because no one was sure what the Covid situation would be in summer, I believe it was in January. I think I paid $128 for it taxes included.

Since then they "canceled" my original return flight and moved it forward a day. I called them up to see if they would give me an option to keep my dates and just use a connecting flight. They said no unless I want to pay $428. So I kept it. Now they did the same exact thing yet again! My trip which was supposed to be 5 days is down to less than 72 hours. And same annoying response from them, either you cancel it or you accept the flight we make you take.

Is this a common strategy for them? Basically get people to cancel out of cheap tickets by making their schedules unreasonably bad? I know a few ULCC's have done this on occasion, is this a WestJet strategy as well?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: ba silver
Was it a code share? Under Canadian law you are legally entitled to rebooking on their next available flight, or if the delay is more than nine hours, on any other airline. There are surely options with DL. The airline is breaking the law if they try and charge you more.

WJ is also on the hook for any hotel accommodations if they delay yDelahunt look up the rules.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Was it a code share? Under Canadian law you are legally entitled to rebooking on their next available flight, or if the delay is more than nine hours, on any other airline. There are surely options with DL. The airline is breaking the law if they try and charge you more.

WJ is also on the hook for any hotel accommodations if they delay yDelahunt look up the rules.
They claimed the other flight was a Delta flight and I would have to pay the difference. I didn't book a non refundable hotel so wasn't out anything, actually spent less because the stay was shorter.

Just I have seen Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit pull these tricks, was wondering if it was a WestJet strategy. Only works for airlines with minimal service like this route. Frontier does do this nonsense at times and will rebook you on some awful flight, like I recently had an 8pm flight and they canceled and rebook me on a 6am flight. Why when there is still a 6:58pm flight? Total nonsense, but US laws let them get away with it. Didnt know Canadian airlines are held responsible.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:57 am

HUCA, state that the rebooked option arriving more than a day later is not acceptable, ask for a supervisor and tell them you want to be put on the following DL flights. Have the DL flight numbers you want ready and feed it to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.