Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet and nexus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

WestJet and nexus

Is there any reason that WestJet seems to be the only airline incapable of including TSA Precheck stamp on an electronic boarding pass? Flying PHX to YYC I was told I’d have to stand in line at ticket counter to get a new boarding pass issued with the TSA check mark. No other airline seems to have this issue.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:41 am

YYMV - but I just checked in YYZ to LGA and entered nexus in Known Traveller ID field during online check in, and precheck showed up on my boarding pass. I entered my passport # for documentation, and nexus # separately for known traveller.
cirrusdragoon and aerobod like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:32 am

Also works for me with the Nexus info entered into my WS Rewards account.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
NEXUS works perfectly for me with WestJet ... 100% success rate.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Can't say I've ever had a problem either.
aerobod likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I haven’t had a problem with this, and I normally just enter my passport info. Maybe I entered my Nexus number at some time in the past and the system remembers it?

I never figured out why I started getting PreCheck with WS unless it’s somehow connected to Nexus status. It just happened without me doing anything special.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
I haven’t had a problem with this, and I normally just enter my passport info. Maybe I entered my Nexus number at some time in the past and the system remembers it?

I never figured out why I started getting PreCheck with WS unless it’s somehow connected to Nexus status. It just happened without me doing anything special.
PreCheck is tied to your KTN, aka Known Traveller Number, aka your NEXUS number.

I don't know if it's stored anywhere in their system, as it seems I always need to enter it when checking in (if I booked the flight myself). When flights are booked through my corporate travel agent, my profile with the TA seems to update WestJet's system automatically. I frankly can never figure out what WestJet's system remembers versus what it doesn't. My profile with WS is 100% complete, but I seem to have to re-enter much of the info over and over again when checking in.

But ... zero problem ever with getting PreCheck on my boarding pass.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Used to be AA Platinum during/after DONE5 in '05/'06, now, just longing for the good ol' days!
I just returned SFO to YYC yesterday, and while my KTN & Nexus information is in my profile, I am now zero for five coming home to Canada and having the KTN &/or Nexus number on my electronic boarding pass. I guess I will be on the lookout for inputting it during my next check-in, even though it is in my profile. Frustrating that in Canada, they accept the card as entry into the Nexus line, but coming out of the US, it must be on the boarding pass....
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:33 pm

What is a KTN?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YYCguy
What is a KTN?
Known Traveler Number (KTN)
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Known Traveler Number (KTN)
Is it like a Nexus card? What is its purpose?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Is it like a Nexus card? What is its purpose?
It’s the number on your NEXUS card.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by BdaDiver
I just returned SFO to YYC yesterday, and while my KTN & Nexus information is in my profile, I am now zero for five coming home to Canada and having the KTN &/or Nexus number on my electronic boarding pass. I guess I will be on the lookout for inputting it during my next check-in, even though it is in my profile. Frustrating that in Canada, they accept the card as entry into the Nexus line, but coming out of the US, it must be on the boarding pass....
If it was booked through any kind of third party, the info from them in the booking (ie from the travel agent or website) often seems to negate what’s in your profile. When I book through my corporate TA (who has my KTN on file) it always appears. When I booked a WS leg through AeroMexico, it didn’t … and I had to enter it at check-in.

And I’ve noticed that frequently - even when I’ve booked directly with WS - my KTN is blank when I go to check in for the first segment … even though it’s in my online profile.

Be sure to check that your KTN field is correctly populated anytime you check in, and always have your number ready to enter.

(For your return segment on the same itinerary, I’ve found that my KTN will “stick”)

Just one of those regular WestJet IT glitches…
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I've flown with WJ more than 100 times from the US to Canada. I always get TSA Pre on my boarding passes (electronic & paper). I have my Nexus ID (Known Traveler Number) on my profile under Travel Documents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.