Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

ticket issues with Delta/WestJet flights on same itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K

I am flying from Lewiston, ID to Halifax, NS and back in June. I am ticketed through Delta. First two flights on Delta LWS:SLC and SLC:YYZ and then final leg on Westjet YYZ:YHZ. I had a question about my seat assignment on Westjet and spoke to a customer service rep and she told me that my ticket wasn't ticketed properly and that I won't be able to check in to final destination on my return flight. I asked her to clarify and she said that it only shows me going from YHZ to SLC and not the final leg. She says it's missing a segment. I called Delta back and they reviewed the ticket and said was fine and there are no issues on their end. I am a Platinum Medallion on Delta and fly regularly and have never experienced this before. I booked the ticket on delta.com

The SLC to LWS legs are operated by SkyWest, I wonder if that is the issue, perhaps Westjet can't see Delta's partner airline? I will be checking a bag, otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned. As much as I love Canada, I don't want to have a ticket issue and not be able to check in and check my bag when I am departing Halifax.

Has anyone experienced this? Suggestions?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:26 am

WestJet can most certainly see bookings with SkyWest. They offer their flights regularly on codeshare.

Are you able to see the itinerary on WestJet's website, and does it actually show the final leg as to SLC?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I've had this a few times before, too. Since it's a Delta ticket on WestJet, it seems that sometimes WS doesn't have full visibility past their final segment.

As long as WestJet can see your WestJet segments, and Delta can see all your segments (since it's a Delta 006 ticket) ... you'll be fine. (It's not an ideal situation as the passenger, but it'll all work out!)

I can't recall how I handled it before (this was all pre-pandemic for me, so an eternity ago!) ... but I do recall having to check-in separately for the DL and WS segments, even though I had one, single, connecting ticket. Everything worked fine, I had all of my chosen seats, etc. It was just -- clunky. On another occasion I was checking a bag -- which caused some confusion at the check-in counter -- but they figured it out and managed to get my bag through to my final destination.

In another case, flying DL as my first segment and WS as my second segment, Delta issued me boarding passes for both of my flights at check-in. When I arrived in ATL - my connecting airport - WestJet there told me I needed a new boarding pass anyway (and that the DL-issued one wouldn't work).

Your flights should work fine. I think it's still just an IT issue on the part of both airlines ... which I'd hoped they might have resolved by now.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
what’s weird is west jet tells me they can’t see the 1st leg LWS to SLC nor the 6th leg SLC to LWS. The 1st leg is not a concern because I will be checking in on delta and it’s my local airport. It’s the final leg that concerns me because I have to check in for the return to US on 6/5 - 4th leg Halifax to Toronto on westjet. Westjet says they can only see through to SLC. (Toronto to SLC). But delta assured me it’s all ok.

I am afraid I’ll get to SLC and my bags will only be tagged to SLC and not all the way to LWS.

rather perplexing.
Originally Posted by Denguin
WestJet can most certainly see bookings with SkyWest. They offer their flights regularly on codeshare.

Are you able to see the itinerary on WestJet's website, and does it actually show the final leg as to SLC?
Old May 12, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by smiem
I am afraid I’ll get to SLC and my bags will only be tagged to SLC and not all the way to LWS.
What I have done in this kind of cases is bring a printout of the itinerary. They can manually add a final destination even if it is not visible in their system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.