Frustration with Boingo on flights

Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Question Frustration with Boingo on flights

I have a WestJet Mastercard and with it, a free Boingo WiFi subscription for inflight usage. When I log into my Boingo account on the ground, I can see the various MAC addresses I've authorized on my account, etc. I have no issues accessing my account and have even reset my password to ensure I'm using the right one in-flight. I've had a few flights over the last several months and every damned time I try to log into Boingo via WestJet Connect, it's the same, frustratingly vague error: "Oops! Looks like something went wrong".

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to resolve it? I thought I'd check here first before contacting Boingo as I'm thinking they'll say, "call WestJet" which will be pointless.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:08 pm

Do you launch the WestJet app, connect to the aircraft wifi and select Internet usage, before using the Boingo login? Looking at your screenshot, it seems that is the case. I had excellent free Boingo service to and from LGW from YYC late last year.

I’m assuming you have also gone through the MC Elite Boingo registration process specifically for the WestJet card?: https://redeem.boingo.com/mccan/
FlyerJ and Da_Master like this.

Last edited by aerobod; Feb 20, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
every damned time I try to log into Boingo via WestJet Connect, it's the same, frustratingly vague error: "Oops! Looks like something went wrong".
The only time I've encountered that error is when attempting to log in on more than one device.
Even if the other device is no longer connected to the wifi, you need to specifically log out of the device that was connected before you can connect with another one on the same account.
Vegabird likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I've never been able to log in, so being logged into multiple devices was never an issue.

Some more digging seems to reveal a possible solution; dynamic MAC addresses.

Apparently, both Android and Windows 10 (which I have on my phone and Surface) employ the use of a dynamic MAC address. By turning this off, each device should use its static MAC address. Assuming I've entered the correct MAC addresses for these devices into my Boingo account, I should be able to log in.

I'll try in late March on my next WS flight.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:48 pm

No issues logging into Boingo on my account, but my wife intermittently gets the same "Oops!" error when she logs in (different account). No idea why it happens, as it also happened when I logged out on my phone and tried to log her in on my phone.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Success.

I turned off dynamic MAC addresses and it worked great.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:00 am

Now that you're in, how's the service? Email and messaging only? Is browsing doable? I presume streaming on YouTube is probably out.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

It seemed pretty decent but dropped from time to time. I don't think it was anything I did, but I had to reconnect multiple times.

I didn't tax it; just email and some WhatsApp messages. I was going to run a speed test but must have been so giddy with excitement about just being connected that I forgot. lol
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:40 am

We've used it a few times for some light social media and such. Not streaming worthy of course, but most everything else worked great.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:00 am

Posting to social media works wonderfully (even halfway between Hawaii and the Mainland). It does work with low bandwidth video as well. Getting into Boingo must be done through the Westjet app.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by cgyroof
Posting to social media works wonderfully (even halfway between Hawaii and the Mainland). It does work with low bandwidth video as well. Getting into Boingo must be done through the Westjet app.
One simply has to surf to www.westjetconnect.com whilst connected to the onboard wifi server to access the inflight entertainment and internet. You do not need the the app anymore.

The bandwidth does not support video streaming services. One is able to send and receive imessages with apple devices.

YYCguy likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
Success.

I turned off dynamic MAC addresses and it worked great.
Can you let me know what you did exactly please to get it to work..I fly monthly on WestJet, have their elite card and Boingo, have not been ABLE once to connect via Boingo, spoke to them spoke to WestJet, Absolutely frustrated, please help
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:23 pm
TCJ

When using the RBC Mastercard passes I can always get it working on my phone but somehow never can get it to work on laptop (I always try to get it working on laptop first).
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:06 pm

Boingo connect frustration continues

Originally Posted by TCJ
When using the RBC Mastercard passes I can always get it working on my phone but somehow never can get it to work on laptop (I always try to get it working on laptop first).
So I have RBC elite MasterCard with WestJet, how exactly are you getting it to connect, can you share please, I have a Boingo account and everything, just when I go to log in, same issue happens, unexpected error or some nonsense at the first thread in this convo snapshotted. Can you let me know what you are doing to get it to work cause I am tired of having to pay $23 each way every bi weekly to monthly when I am entirely entitled to free usage but no one wants to help past oh we don't understand and we are sorry to hear that nonsense...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.