Westjet meltdown ?

Old Jan 5, 22, 9:12 am

Programs: AC 75k, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
We? Speak for yourself as while WS is going through some serious turbulence to suggest a.) they're stealing passenger's money and b.) should cease advertising until they fix their shortcomings is hopefully only hyperbole as it's really reaching.

While I can't speak for others, I know I receive emails I find ill timed but in reading them just chuckle and chalk it up to the marketing department doing their job as they're paid to do and hit delete and would suggest you give it a try.
Fair enough. Post edited.

Not to be outdone.. Swoop is now advertising a huge 25% off sale.

Ron.
Old Jan 5, 22, 10:48 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
WestJet just plain sucks at the moment. My fight started in Jul 2021.

Booked a one way flight to Paris, for a specific day in October. They moved it 24 hours later (didn't work for me). Invoked their own tariff rule requesting a refund to original form of payment. Asked travel agent to submit the refund request. Asked again in September, and again in October. No response.

Finally a response from WestJet in December, saying that I "no-showed" for a flight and not eligible for a refund. Apparently no request for a refund was recorded in their "database". I have correspondence from Twitter/Whatapp, Travel Agents, etc., all requesting WestJet for a refund prior to departure.

CTA has been utterly useless at this point, with even they themselves not getting a response from WestJet.

Next step in the process is a statutory charge-back since no action by any party has happened.
Old Jan 6, 22, 7:44 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
The competition isn't having these issues... yet. Only the little airline that could from Cowtown.

Westjet who kept blasting the government when there were flying restrictions saying they were well prepared to transport people across Canada and around the world.. well [mod edit] ..they're now in a total 'meltdown' with not a clue how to fix it.

Ron.
And just like that

In light of the current pandemic context, Air Canada will be suspending some flights to Sun destinations from January 24 until April 30, 2022.Suspended destinations include Antigua, Aruba, Saman, Curaao, Exuma, Grenada, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Havana, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/tour...tinations.html
aerobod likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 6, 22 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 6, 22, 8:22 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
This is shaping up to be another rough winter.
Old Jan 6, 22, 8:53 am

Programs: AC 75k, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
Yes.. AC is cancelling flights to an area and giving refunds. Being proactive. Where Westjet is selling 10 million seats with a massive seat sale.

Ron.
Old Jan 6, 22, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
Yes.. AC is cancelling flights to an area and giving refunds. Being proactive. Where Westjet is selling 10 million seats with a massive seat sale.
Yeah, good thing AC's marketing department isn't following WS lead. Oh, wait...

https://www.aircanada.com/en-us/seat...OTakeover|usen
aerobod and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by keithguy View Post
WS has been cancelling more than AC, both looking at the # of cancellations (despite a much smaller # of total flights), and by %
An interesting update posted by travel writer Jim Byers yesterday (Wed Jan 5):

A little better day today for Canadian airlines.

253 flights cancelled yesterday. So far today it's 197, says flight aware dot com.

Air Canada Jazz, 75.
Air Canada 39.
WestJet 37.
WestJet Encore 34.
Air Canada Rouge 8.
Porter 4

Not that the 'score' means much, but that's AC 122 vs WS 71.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
An interesting update posted by travel writer Jim Byers yesterday (Wed Jan 5):

https://twitter.com/JimByersTravel/s...529985538?s=20

Not that the 'score' means much, but that's AC 122 vs WS 71.
The score would mean more if it was scaled by number of scheduled flights. Sorry, I don't have that information to hand.
Old Jan 6, 22, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Ivory Actuary View Post
The score would mean more if it was scaled by number of scheduled flights. Sorry, I don't have that information to hand.
Air Canada averaged 843 flights per day in Dec, WestJet averaged 425 flights per day, so assuming a similar daily volume for the first few days of Jan, that would correlate with 15% of AC and 17% of WS flights cancelled, so pretty close to each other.
FlyerJ and The Ivory Actuary like this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Air Canada averaged 843 flights per day in Dec, WestJet averaged 425 flights per day, so assuming a similar daily volume for the first few days of Jan, that would correlate with 15% of AC and 17% of WS flights cancelled, so pretty close to each other.
Not anymore. More accurate to look at real time reporting rather than a stale tweet.

WS mainline now at 17% cancelled with Encore now at 30% cancelled.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 3:34 pm

Not anymore. More accurate to look at real time reporting rather than a stale tweet.

WS mainline now at 17% cancelled with Encore now at 30% cancelled.
Well it would be more (due to lack of un-cancellations) when you are 3 and a half hours late replying, wouldn't it!
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 3:35 pm

Today's numbers are worse for both carriers, but still consistent with the "stale" tweet (from yesterday):

AC: 147 flights cancelled
WS: 96 flights cancelled

(I hadn't seen that FlightAware page before. Super interesting.)
aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Well it would be more (due to lack of un-cancellations) when you are 3 and a half hours late replying, wouldn't it!
LOL!!
aerobod likes this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
Today's numbers are worse for both carriers, but still consistent with the "stale" tweet (from yesterday):

AC: 147 flights cancelled
WS: 96 flights cancelled

(I hadn't seen that FlightAware page before. Super interesting.)
The tweet is quoting FlightAware.

Using pure numbers is misleading since AC schedules far more flights than WS.

Yesterday, AC mainline cancelled 10%. WS mainline cancelled 19%.

Originally Posted by aerobod
Of course. So let's not try to twist the numbers by using an outdated snapshot. Either look at today at the end of day or look at the previous day's numbers.
Old Jan 6, 22, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The tweet is quoting FlightAware.

Using pure numbers is misleading since AC schedules far more flights than WS.

Yesterday, AC mainline cancelled 10%. WS mainline cancelled 19%.

Of course. So let's not try to twist the numbers by using an outdated snapshot. Either look at today at the end of day or look at the previous day's numbers.
Why the hair splitting about flight cancellations? As was pointed out in post #54, the contention was that only WS was having issues and not its competitors which is patently false.
FlyerJ, aerobod and cirrusdragoon like this.

Search this Thread