Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

No premium seats available, so no seat selection

Old Sep 20, 21, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Booked a premium fare for two of us and one leg is on a Q400. There was only one of the premium row seats left, so selected that for one passenger, but could not select any seat for the other. Itís a relatively short flight, so not being in the first three rows is not going to matter, but I am puzzled as to why I could not select an available seat from somewhere else on the aircraft. I was just going to put the two of us together wherever there were two seats, but it is simply not possible to access rows 4 and back. Has anyone encountered this? Iíll have to call, I guess, but it does seem rather puzzling. Itís not like rows 1-3 are much different from the rest of the plane anyhow.
Old Sep 20, 21, 9:27 pm

If you booked a premium fare you're only able to select premium seats, you would need an agent to downgrade you to a Y fare.

As for why there was only 1 premium seat left ,1AB/2AB are locked for a timeframe as they are technically emergency exit.
arf04 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 8:19 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, WestJet Gold
There is a difference between the number of Premium fares available and the number of Premium seats available for selection.

There are 10 "Premium" seats on the DH4, so WestJet sells 10 Premium fares on those flights. However, 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B are automatically blocked by the system, so there are only 6 available for selection in advance. These usually open by check-in, so I'll often plan to move up to Row 1 at that time. I'm surprised that the system doesn't free any of them up when it has more than 6 people booked in Premium to avoid the situation you now find yourself in.
arf04 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by V1213 View Post
There is a difference between the number of Premium fares available and the number of Premium seats available for selection.

There are 10 "Premium" seats on the DH4, so WestJet sells 10 Premium fares on those flights. However, 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B are automatically blocked by the system, so there are only 6 available for selection in advance. These usually open by check-in, so I'll often plan to move up to Row 1 at that time. I'm surprised that the system doesn't free any of them up when it has more than 6 people booked in Premium to avoid the situation you now find yourself in.
It is an odd situation for sure, especially given that it is a DH4 where there is not much difference between the two sections of the aircraft.

I suppose, then, when Iíve looked at flights and could not find a premium fare out of YQR (PE or business class to LGW via YYC), but did see availability on the TATL leg from YYC it was because all the premium fares were sold out on the YQR leg. That is probably something they should sort out as I ended up booking AC in business for my London flights even though Westjetís schedule was preferable. Iím sure Iím not the only one who runs into this issue. I believe AC will book the segment into Y in such circumstances.

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification. I shall keep an eye out for the front rows opening up closer to flight time.
Old Jun 9, 22, 9:01 pm
CSW

Programs: AC*S QRPC Gold
Booked Premium - no seats at seat selection

Booked two tickets in Premium fare for November - on seat selection only one seat showing as available.

Guess I will wait to closer to departure before getting too concerned, but seriously what would cause that?

Revenue tickets.
Old Jun 9, 22, 9:19 pm

Yikes. Iíve never seen that before. Please share the flight # and date.
Old Jun 10, 22, 8:08 am

This has been discussed before, at least in the context of Encore Dash 8s.
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:47 pm
CSW

Programs: AC*S QRPC Gold
Thanks - that makes sense. The segment that is the problem is on a Westjet Link Saab 340, just never seen this before.
Old Jun 10, 22, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CSW View Post
The segment that is the problem is on a Westjet Link Saab 340, just never seen this before.
It looks like WestJet proactively block all of Row 2 (the first row) on the Saabs, leaving only Row 3 available for Premium advance seat selection.

I have no idea how full the Premium seats usually are on the Saabs, but blocking half of them could mean that this is a regular issue for Saab Premium passengers.
Old Jun 10, 22, 9:14 pm

Programs: Several
It happens on Dash 8s too. I have experienced it a few times and call in and they say they leave them blocked until check in. So I say I paid for seat selection in the premium fare and they assign my seat maybe 75% of time. The est they say only assigned at check in. Itís odd.
Old Jul 12, 22, 8:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Anyone seen this type of nonsense in the Business cabin on the 787s?

I'm puzzled as I'm trying to buy a flight for next week. There are decently priced fares available, and ExpertFlyer shows availability as J4 C2 D0. Yet every seat in the J cabin shows as occupied when I go to select a seat. Checking out the seat map on EF, it shows all 16 seats as occupied, none as blocked (unlike on the Saab and DH4, when the blocked seats will show up as blocked).

Anyone know what's going on here?
Old Jul 13, 22, 8:53 am

This is new to me. What is the route - are there any codeshare partners that may have seats "occupied" or something?
Old Jul 13, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
This is new to me. What is the route - are there any codeshare partners that may have seats "occupied" or something?
FCO-YYC

Edit to add availability was up to J7 C5 today, and still every single seat marked as occupied.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 13, 22 at 6:05 pm
Old Jul 14, 22, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
FCO-YYC

Edit to add availability was up to J7 C5 today, and still every single seat marked as occupied.
I assume you're referring to the flight on the 22nd?
If so, it's not just Business - it's all three cabins. Something strange is happening/being done to that particular flight, so all seats are "occupied", despite there being availability in all classes.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 14, 22, 8:57 am

I assume you're referring to the flight on the 22nd?
Correct. Sorry, thought I had mentioned that.

If so, it's not just Business - it's all three cabins. Something strange is happening/being done to that particular flight, so all seats are "occupied", despite there being availability in all classes.
Strange. Guess I'll call in then. I was originally booked on that same flight for tomorrow, had no issues selecting a seat for that one.

Edit to add: phone agent couldn't select a seat - same issue was we're seeing online, everything occupied. He got on with his support desk, and they couldn't do it either. When he came back, he said there was "an issue with this flight in the system", so they submitted a request to get it fixed, and it will likely be done by end of day tomorrow. Supposedly they've also submitted a request to assign me one of the seats I'd asked for, but we'll see whether or not that actually gets done or whether I have to select it myself.
V1213 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 14, 22 at 10:28 am

Search this Thread