Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I recently flew YYC-LHR on the 787 in business class. The menu is posted below. Prior to boarding we had visited the new lounge and I had the Atlantic Perch with potatoes and mushrooms in a cream sauce. The food in the lounge was delicious, and I liked the small portions, so I could try more than one thing.

The menus were distributed once I was seated after boarding along with a pre-departure beverage, and then the orders were taken prior to pushback. The orders seemed to be taken in seat order, with 4D being the last, so avoid the rear centre seats if you want to be assured of your first choice. I was in 4A and received my first choice

I had the cold chicken starter and the beef short rib for the main. It was really more like small pieces of boneless prime rib, very tasty and tender. I decided to skip dessert and went to sleep, so I don't know what they were like, as I didn't see any. My partner though it odd that there were not any BC wines on the menu. I can see them wanting to feature Canadian wine, but there are plenty of good BC wines to choose from. Given WS is a Calgary based company, choosing Ontario and Oregon wines seemed odd. WS is trying really had to make their international J a excellent product, so I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a true champagne on offer. I could see the Canadian sparkler as the PDB on the ground, but real champagne in the air.
Interesting to see that they use the same style of plates and cutlery in the lounge and on the plane.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
I flew Premium on Encore yesterday and noted that it was my first flight with physical buy onboard menus since COVID.

The crew pointed the menus out in their spiel at the start of the flight, and the Premium service included both the snack box and whatever one wanted from the menu. I assume the snack box will be phased out over time, bringing the Encore service back to pre-pandemic levels?

FWIW, the Encore buy onboard menu is the same as the Economy menu on WestJet's website, minus the entree selections and some of the drink options.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:47 pm

Alcohol Service Westjet Premium

I flew WS premium this spring and summer and both times when I ordered a gin and tonic the drinks tasted really watered down. They brought the drinks out already mixed without a mini bottle. On the overseas flight I asked a FA why they didn't bring out the mini bottle and he said they don't serve doubles anymore. I explained that a mini bottle has a standard single serving he seemed baffled. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Just flew YVR-LAS-YVR in Premium. Was provided with hot meals both ways, breakfast menu on the way out(Scrambled eggs or Breakfast Burrito) and lunch menu on the way back(Beef Stew or Cheese Ravioli).
Noted that the menu seemed to be identical to when I flew to CUN in July. I'll toss some pics up later, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the menu cards.
V1213 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:25 am

A minor update, but I see that the WestJet Inflight Food and Beverages page has been updated to clearly spell out what is available on flights of different lengths.

The only notable change I can see is in Premium, where snack boxes are supposedly only provided on flights 1.5-2.5 hours long. Previously, I've received a snack box on every single Premium flight I've flown since COVID, regardless of length.
That said, I note that the full service on 2.5+ hour flights is:
A variety of light snacks along with contemporary, Canadian and globally inspired hot meals.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Can confirm. I just flew YYC-PHX in Premium, where full meals have always been served.

No longer. Its now only the cheap little snack box. Premium on this 3+ hour flight is now reduced to just a bigger seat with a couple bucks worth of convenience store snacks.

Its a significant devaluation to Premium. There are a lot of mid-length flights where food service has been pulled.

Super frustrating - especially since I bought my Premium ticket before this cut was enacted.

Edited to add: this was apparently not due to flight duration, as YYC-PHX qualifies for a Premium meal at over 3 hours long. Instead, Premium service is being pulled from some departures, even if the flight qualifies for meal service.
orchidaloha likes this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Oct 11, 2022 at 5:55 pm
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

The service standards are downright embarrassing! I hope you will send a complaint to Westjet!
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
It does seem like WS does drinks service differently? Flew in Premium from SoCal to YVR last week, the gnocchi was decent as far as airplane meals go. I selected a glass of wine, and while still eating, asked for a second glass to try the other white on the menu. After the meal, without me even saying anything, the FA somewhat curtly informs me she cannot serve me another drink until later on in the flight (I hadn't even asked!).

To be clear, I had only had two glasses of wine with my afternoon meal on the plane (and needless to mention, these were the only drinks I had had this day). I was honestly a little embarrassed (was I being cut off?) and politely just asked if I could have some water to settle any potential concerns, which I received. For further context, I was also alone in my Premium row and had had no interactions with the FAs or other passengers that could have been misinterpreted as 'aggressive' either, or really any interactions at all!

Is this just some WS meal service protocol I am unaware of?

Originally Posted by Veritas1984
I flew WS premium this spring and summer and both times when I ordered a gin and tonic the drinks tasted really watered down. They brought the drinks out already mixed without a mini bottle. On the overseas flight I asked a FA why they didn't bring out the mini bottle and he said they don't serve doubles anymore. I explained that a mini bottle has a standard single serving he seemed baffled. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by progapanda
It does seem like WS does drinks service differently?
While I didn't experienced a denial of service like this, on a recent DUB-YYC flight in Premium the wine kept running out. First it was the sparkling, then one white and one red, with basically no wine left for the second meal. I know that the sparkling was shared with Business, with the FA implying that we had to save enough for Business/that cabin drank most of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other wines were shared as well. Overall, it seems like WestJet have under-catered the wines, leading to shortages. I'm assuming your FA denied service to prevent the wine from running out too early in the flight?

FWIW, meal choices also ran out halfway through the cabin and, in trying to offer preferred choices, the FA also said that the Business meals are basically the same as Premium, but larger portions. Overall, if the wine and meals are the same in Business and Premium, that's quite the downgrade from the pre-COVID dine on demand Business service with champagne, etc. Has anyone flown long haul Business recently?
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by V1213
DUB-YYC flight in Premium the wine kept running out.
Any idea if the wine was loaded in DUB or was leftovers from the YYC-DUB flight?
A la so called premium meal routes.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tracon
Any idea if the wine was loaded in DUB or was leftovers from the YYC-DUB flight?
A la so called premium meal routes.
On YYC-Europe; catering is uploaded in the European station however they double cater the bar carts for both J & W. Catering is coming anyhow; so this decision is simply strange in my opinion.
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Premium cabin, August 2022, YYC to LAS, vegetarian meal. The flight home was also premium and a snack box was offered (no pic of the snack box

)
Sealink, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.

Last edited by orchidaloha; Oct 17, 2022 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Effective this week, Westjet is moving away from individual fresh creamers and milk in W & Y classes to Fairlife ambient shelf stable milk. This will solve the issues of no dairy provisioning on overnights at outstations, but is sure to slow down service when FAs have to pour milk into every coffee as opposed to just handing you a creamer or two.

Likely a cost saving measure as well.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Effective this week, Westjet is moving away from individual fresh creamers and milk in W & Y classes to Fairlife ambient shelf stable milk. This will solve the issues of no dairy provisioning on overnights at outstations, but is sure to slow down service when FAs have to pour milk into every coffee as opposed to just handing you a creamer or two.

Likely a cost saving measure as well.
And will slow down service when the FA has to explain multiple times that there is no option for cream, that its milk or nothing. It would be nice if W could at least have the option for international delight!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:07 pm

No cream? That will go over well.
Fairlife is Coke's brand of milk that has received some pretty public criticism about how animals are treated.
cirrusdragoon likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.