Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Old May 22, 22, 4:10 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 3,105
Those buy-on-board entrees and especially the breakfast look disgusting.
YYCguy likes this.
Error 601 is offline  
Old May 22, 22, 4:20 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Programs: skyteam
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
Those buy-on-board entrees and especially the breakfast look disgusting.
I agree, and the worst part is they are shelf stable not fresh just freshly heated at time of purchase.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-investment-by

https://www.worldfoodinnovations.com...light-catering

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; May 22, 22 at 9:25 pm
cirrusdragoon is offline  
Old May 23, 22, 10:04 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 1,234
OMG these Y-class hot meals scare me. Especially that "shelf stable" beans breakfast. Wow. Hard pass, thanks.

I'll be intrigued to see what these look like in the real world. Something tells me the photos on their website are, umm, incredibly optimistic in how they portray the product. They remind me of what some of the European discount carriers try to pass off as hot meals, which look great in the menu photos but, in real life, turn out to be like a reconstituted meal bought from the camping section of Canadian Tire.

Compared to AC's Cafe, this feels like a pretty weak offering in Economy class. And the typical 'bistro boxes' offered by the big U.S. carriers - although cold - look a lot more appealing.
YYCguy and cirrusdragoon like this.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old May 23, 22, 6:06 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YYZ
Programs: National Executive, Flying Blue Silver, NEXUS
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by V1213 View Post
Also, the website now reflects that Economy passengers will be provided with complimentary food and beverages on all flights to Europe (including 737s) - does anyone know if this is what is otherwise on the buy onboard menu, or something else?
I took WS43 (CDG-YHZ) on May 12. They served a heated sandwich-type thing (either chicken or vegetarian if I recall correctly) about an hour and a half after takeoff, as well as a few packaged snacks about 1 hour before landing. The buy-on-board menu was not offered at all.

cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
coolkidflyer is offline  
Old May 23, 22, 6:18 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Programs: skyteam
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by coolkidflyer View Post
I took WS43 (CDG-YHZ) on May 12. They served a heated sandwich-type thing (either chicken or vegetarian if I recall correctly) about an hour and a half after takeoff, as well as a few packaged snacks about 1 hour before landing. The buy-on-board menu was not offered at all.

Complimentary spirits, wine, beer I imagine as well?
cirrusdragoon is offline  
Old May 23, 22, 7:47 pm
  #51  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 821
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
Complimentary spirits, wine, beer I imagine as well?
Yes. To align with the 787 procedures. Not to the same scale of course. And no, no buy on board available due to the complimentary items offered. I would be tempted to bring something a little extra like some fruit in case I got hungry again.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
YYCguy is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 9:36 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 194
Flew on a 737-800 in premium economy from YYC to LAS. It was a very weird experience, they handed out plastic cutlery and then what only can be described as a "snack pack" which had a small bag of mini ritz sandwiches, small cut up peperoni sticks, mini chocolate chip cookies, Nutella and a mint.

I had not eaten prior to the flight as the expectation was a chicken or pasta option, neither was given. The "snack pack" was quite disappointing.
magsmeplease is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 9:05 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 1,234
Originally Posted by magsmeplease View Post
Flew on a 737-800 in premium economy from YYC to LAS. It was a very weird experience, they handed out plastic cutlery and then what only can be described as a "snack pack" which had a small bag of mini ritz sandwiches, small cut up peperoni sticks, mini chocolate chip cookies, Nutella and a mint.

I had not eaten prior to the flight as the expectation was a chicken or pasta option, neither was given. The "snack pack" was quite disappointing.
That's disappointing, as I'm sure I've had the full Premium service on that same route.

Here are the offerings in Premium, according to WestJet's website:

Most flights over 90 minutes to 2.5 hours

Bottle of water, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and light snack.



Most flights over 2.5 hours

Refresh with a bottle of water.

Onboard beverages and snack service included. Enjoy contemporary, Canadian and globally inspired meals and a light selection of snacks. Menus are available at westjet.com/menu and inflight on the WestJet App under Connect.
YYC-LAS comes in at a published flight time of 2 hours 44 minutes ... more than "2.5 hours".

But I guess they cover themselves by saying "most" flights over 2.5 hours. Frustrating, as I think it's safe to assume that a Premium fare on that route would include the full Premium offering.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 9:54 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 194
Update-
Flew LAS to YYC on the return leg on a 737-700 and was given the option of a hot meal (being the chicken or pasta as stated on the menu). I did ask the flight attendant why the difference in service between the two legs of the flights.
She mentioned they have had ground crew and catering staffing shortages which have made their offerings hit and miss. She also admitted there was no way to know for sure prior to the flight whether you'd get a "snack pack" or the hot meal.
FlyerJ, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
magsmeplease is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 10:31 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 4,572
I recently flew YYC-LHR on the 787 in business class. The menu is posted below. Prior to boarding we had visited the new lounge and I had the Atlantic Perch with potatoes and mushrooms in a cream sauce. The food in the lounge was delicious, and I liked the small portions, so I could try more than one thing.

The menus were distributed once I was seated after boarding along with a pre-departure beverage, and then the orders were taken prior to pushback. The orders seemed to be taken in seat order, with 4D being the last, so avoid the rear centre seats if you want to be assured of your first choice. I was in 4A and received my first choice

I had the cold chicken starter and the beef short rib for the main. It was really more like small pieces of boneless prime rib, very tasty and tender. I decided to skip dessert and went to sleep, so I don't know what they were like, as I didn't see any. My partner though it odd that there were not any BC wines on the menu. I can see them wanting to feature Canadian wine, but there are plenty of good BC wines to choose from. Given WS is a Calgary based company, choosing Ontario and Oregon wines seemed odd. WS is trying really had to make their international J a excellent product, so I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a true champagne on offer. I could see the Canadian sparkler as the PDB on the ground, but real champagne in the air.

About 90 min before landing a breakfast was served, consisting of a croissant, fruit cup, youghurt and granola and a bowl with veggies, cheese and a slice of hardboiled egg. Sorry, I had eaten the fruit before I thought to take a photo.




Fish in the lounge:

Marinated chicken starter:


Beef shortrib:


Breakfast on approach to LHR. Sorry, I'd already eaten the fruit
arf04, YYCCL3 and V1213 like this.

Last edited by Jagboi; May 28, 22 at 10:44 pm
Jagboi is offline  
Old May 29, 22, 9:39 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YMJ (YQR)
Programs: Qantas Platinum, WestJet Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
My partner though it odd that there were not any BC wines on the menu. I can see them wanting to feature Canadian wine, but there are plenty of good BC wines to choose from. Given WS is a Calgary based company, choosing Ontario and Oregon wines seemed odd. WS is trying really had to make their international J a excellent product, so I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a true champagne on offer. I could see the Canadian sparkler as the PDB on the ground, but real champagne in the air.
The switch to Canadian sparkling in Business seems to be a post-pandemic thing. IIRC, Canadian sparkling used to be served only in Premium, with French Champagne in Business, but now it seems to be served in both.

I've also wondered about the wine selection. The 787 in particular has "the Spirit of Canada" written on the side, and they seemed to do a good job at reflecting that in the soft product when they launched. However, like the loss of champagne, some of their uniqueness/competitive advantage over Air Canada may be slipping in the post-COVID world, with less Canadianness reflected in the soft product.
V1213 is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 10:49 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
I recently flew YYC-LHR on the 787 in business class. The menu is posted below. Prior to boarding we had visited the new lounge and I had the Atlantic Perch with potatoes and mushrooms in a cream sauce. The food in the lounge was delicious, and I liked the small portions, so I could try more than one thing.

The menus were distributed once I was seated after boarding along with a pre-departure beverage, and then the orders were taken prior to pushback. The orders seemed to be taken in seat order, with 4D being the last, so avoid the rear centre seats if you want to be assured of your first choice. I was in 4A and received my first choice

I had the cold chicken starter and the beef short rib for the main. It was really more like small pieces of boneless prime rib, very tasty and tender. I decided to skip dessert and went to sleep, so I don't know what they were like, as I didn't see any. My partner though it odd that there were not any BC wines on the menu. I can see them wanting to feature Canadian wine, but there are plenty of good BC wines to choose from. Given WS is a Calgary based company, choosing Ontario and Oregon wines seemed odd. WS is trying really had to make their international J a excellent product, so I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a true champagne on offer. I could see the Canadian sparkler as the PDB on the ground, but real champagne in the air.

About 90 min before landing a breakfast was served, consisting of a croissant, fruit cup, youghurt and granola and a bowl with veggies, cheese and a slice of hardboiled egg. Sorry, I had eaten the fruit before I thought to take a photo.
What time did you depart from YYC? Has the lounge extended it's operating hours? We have an upcoming flight departing at 20:55, but from what I've seen the lounge closes at 19:00.
magsmeplease is offline  
Old May 30, 22, 2:06 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YMJ (YQR)
Programs: Qantas Platinum, WestJet Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by magsmeplease View Post
What time did you depart from YYC? Has the lounge extended it's operating hours? We have an upcoming flight departing at 20:55, but from what I've seen the lounge closes at 19:00.
As per WestJet's Elevation Lounge page, the lounge in Calgary is currently open until 22:15.
V1213 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 11:48 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 4,572
Originally Posted by magsmeplease View Post
What time did you depart from YYC? Has the lounge extended it's operating hours? We have an upcoming flight departing at 20:55, .
20:55 was our departure time as well. Boarding starts quite a bit earlier, I was in Zone 1 and was onboard at 20:00.
Jagboi is offline  
Old Jun 5, 22, 3:41 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 32
Flew YYC-FCO on 787 in business May 26. Late departure due to late inbound aircraft. Elevation lounge was worth the short walk but the food was only mediocre. Seemed like a lot of microwaving was used. Food came out quickly after ordering via app. Felt weird to have to order a glass or water or pop via the QR code though.

Dinner on board was exceptional and well prepared by crew. Only complaint is the buns are an abomination. There has to be a way to get fresher buns.

Breakfast was ok. Pretty standard cold breakfast.

Service was excellent, only room for improvement would be due to late departure it would have been nice to see the meal served a little quicker.

Home via CDG-YYC. Flight was out of hall L so the Air France lounge was available. For a flagship lounge it fell a bit flat - food was just ok. Not many snacks or drinks (no sprite or Fanta for kids).

Food on board was new menu. So much so no printed menus available. Starters were duck pate and vegetable poke bowl. I got stuck with duck pate and wasn’t going near it - it was a giant piece though. Wife and kids said poke bowl was good. Entrees we’re beef Bergeron or cheese ravioli. Wife and I had the beef and kids both had ravioli. Everybody described entrees as restaurant quality. Same comment regarding buns.

Cheese plate or cheesecake for dessert. Both served with beautiful presentation. Both delicious and would be happy to be served them in a real restaurant.

Service on board excellent. Could tell crew was making a real effort to follow training but still friendly and fun.

All in all would highly recommend. Also a nice touch that the meals were served on real plates not the typical rectangular air Canada style dishes.

Somebody at Westjet is putting some work into the menus.
YYCguy and Jagboi like this.
yyy77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread