Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Meals on Westjet flights in J, W, and Y cabins

Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:25 pm
Original Member

Until there is a dedicated “lead” or cabin manager on narrow body fleet; I fear inconsistency will be our only thing consistent.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fisch
Until there is a dedicated “lead” or cabin manager on narrow body fleet; I fear inconsistency will be our only thing consistent.
Consistency is hard for any large organization to achieve, but WS doesn't struggle only with the service aspect of meals. I've also found it interesting how variable the meals are in quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for most YYC-US turns, the flights are double-catered in YYC (except if RON at the US station?), yet I frequently receive vastly different versions of the same meal. For example, the cauliflower "kung pao" on Friday was pretty decent. But on Sunday, which I suspect came out of the exact same kitchen, it had virtually no sauce and was... maybe not inedible, but not really worth eating. I've had the same thing in recent months with the beef thing, where one direction it would be decent and the other terrible, often due to huge differences in the amount of sauce. The mushroom ravioli was maybe a bit more consistent.

This can be an issue with other airlines as well, but I have noticed far greater variability on WS than on, say, AC or AF. (And yes, I know that virtually all airlines outsource catering)
gcashin likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Breakfast on WS651 (YYZ-YYC) this morning.
The "zucchinis and carrot breakfast fritters" were more garlic pancakes with carrot and zucchini flakes, but it's not the worst meal I've had haha

​Menu is dated January, so has presumably been offered for a while...

Da_Master likes this.

Last edited by V1213; Mar 20, 2024 at 1:49 pm
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:52 pm

RIP Snack Triangles

When did the snack triangles finally meet their end?

All my Premium flights this week (including an ex-Swoop Plus experience) have featured a snack basket instead of the old snack triangles. In general, this seems to be a positive - the basket options are higher quality, and staff encourage people to take as many snacks as they like.

The snack basket has appeared at the end of hot meal flights, and as the only food service on short flights (sometimes with the Economy snacks in the basket, sometimes those distributed with the drinks).

I haven't flown Encore recently, so I don't know if the triangles live on there.

Currently the basket appears to have:
  • Handfuel coated cashews
  • Almond blondies
  • Sea salt chocolate
  • Honey roasted sesame chips

Also, cabin crew jump seat chatter seemed to suggest that a differentiated Preferred Seating soft product is coming, potentially including the snack basket and reserved overhead space.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by V1213
Also, cabin crew jump seat chatter seemed to suggest that a differentiated Preferred Seating soft product is coming, potentially including the snack basket and reserved overhead space.
“Extended Comfort” first 4-5 rows with extra leg room will be sold as this product. Zone 2 boarding; complimentary alcoholic beverage, more leg room. Didn’t see timeline on it but Cabin Crew got a training module on it last week.
FlyerJ, aerobod, Da_Master and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:27 pm

Aboard a delayed WS605 (YYZ-YQR) and am surprised to learn that flights after 22:00 now get breakfast meals in Premium.

While the change perhaps makes sense for eastbound red-eyes, the westbound late night wave from YYZ seems like an odd choice for breakfast catering.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
“Extended Comfort” first 4-5 rows with extra leg room will be sold as this product. Zone 2 boarding; complimentary alcoholic beverage, more leg room. Didn’t see timeline on it but Cabin Crew got a training module on it last week.
This is great -- it makes them more competitive with other carriers who all offer a truly differentiated 'plus' product at the front of Y. And I'm happy because it alleviates my fear that WS was going to downgrade the entire Y experience in the CEO's quest to become more of a leisure airline.

I'd suggest we bump this out of the "Meals" thread and make this a new topic!
YYCguy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Looks like the menu rotation on WS is limited. Flew LAX-YVR yesterday and the menu was identical to YYC-LAX 6 weeks earlier Wife ordered the cauliflower dish which came with exactly 1 piece of cauliflower. Less mozzarella balls too. She looked at the photo of my chicken dish in February and the dish offered to the adjacent pax had much less chicken.

9 Feb. YYC-LAX

24 March LAX-YVR
V1213 likes this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 26, 2024 at 1:01 pm Reason: Addenda
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC 35k
This is great news! Will it book in a different class like Delta or be an add-on like United E+ (much like it is now but likely with a higher price point)?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 7:25 pm

YVR-ATL

Flying YVR - ATL this summer in premium with a 09:25 departure. Any idea if this is still breakfast with a 17:29 (5:29pm) arrival? Need to know if I need to pack lunch ha
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:52 am

No issues with J meal selection YYC-NRT. Was sitting in row 4 and all the options were still available.

The wake up meal could be improved upon quite a bit. I chose the vegetarian stir fry noodles and it was tasteless, didn’t eat much from it. Saved my appetite for food in Japan instead, lol.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Life Gold 1 MM, Flying Blue Silver, Marriott Life Plt, Hilton Gld
I was thinking of trying for the first time YYC -NRT in early May , I’ve since changed my mind after reading how the meal service isn’t what it used to be pre Covid
Old May 30, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I typically use DL but thinking about MSP-YEG on WS. Since DL pulled out of the market I have no idea, would there be any service on this route?
Old May 30, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
I typically use DL but thinking about MSP-YEG on WS. Since DL pulled out of the market I have no idea, would there be any service on this route?
The distance (over 850 miles) and the flight time (over 2.5 hours) mean that the flight should qualify for a full meal service in Premium.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/inflig...erages#premium
Fisch and matchbox20_is like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 4:16 pm

Looks like the Buy-On-Board menu has been updated.
The complimentary offerings are now listed, the snack selection has evolved a little, the hot options have changed again (for the better?), and Blue Moon has been added as a "craft beer":
Economy buy-on-board menu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.