Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Network Updates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:52 am

The additional FCO flight is on Wednesday meaning they now have all 5 Euro flights form YYC going out on Wed and Sat on top of the 2 daily LGW turns from YYZ/YVR. This requires at least 7 frames.

I think the level of frequencies can be done with the 6 they have if they change some of the op days around.
cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:59 am

Annnd one week later, those increases got reversed. But they've changed the op days for both routes:

YYC-FCO now on Wed / Thu & Sat
YYZ-BCN now on Mon / Thu & Fri

They still have all 5 YYC-ex Euro routes departing on Wed & Sat.
V1213 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:23 pm

Looks like the schedule page format has changed.
Kind of easier to read but still lacking a lot of details.
A destination will show daily, but unlike the previous version, doesn't say how many x/day.

Schedule is now viewed as part of the booking page.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...-flights/index
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:50 am

The Summer schedule got filed last night in the OAG.

NEW: YYZ-ORD starting May 19th, operated by Encore DH4.

YYZ-LGW got increased to 9x weekly (Added flights on Tue / Sat)
YYC-LON is a combined 9x weekly (4x weekly LHR up to 5x weekly LGW, both flying on Wednesdays).

YYC-SNA got extended to year-round, 3x weekly in the summer.
YYC-BOS appears to be finally happening, but only 3x weekly (was announced as daily).
V1213 likes this.

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Mar 12, 2022 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
NEW: YYZ-ORD starting May 19th, operated by Encore DH4.
I was surprised when Swoop announced YYZ-ORD a few weeks ago, considering that it was a notable omission from WestJet's network. I'm glad that WestJet is also going to serve ORD, even if it's with Encore.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

After exploring various parts of the schedule it looks like we're continuing to see an evolution of the current domestic operation, rather than going back to something strongly resembling the pre-COVID network.

Frequencies are being expanded cautiously, but seem to be focused on hubs:
  • All but one of the innovative point-to-point routes from last year (YYJ-YOW/YXE/YWG, YLW-YQR/YXE, YEG-YKA/YYF/YCD, YXX-YXS, YYZ-YMM) are not on the schedule (YYZ-YQQ is the only one returning).
  • Where Swoop and Flair are growing point-to-points it seems to be at the expense of additional WS frequencies and/or alternative timings that operated last summer (eg. daytime YYZ-YQR/YXE flights, which were the only flights last summer, are not on the schedule, with F8/WO flying during those times instead).
  • In contrast, many YYC routes seem to be returning to almost pre-COVID levels (eg. YYC-YYZ is basically hourly throughout the day).
Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by V1213
  • All but one of the innovative point-to-point routes from last year (YYJ-YOW/YXE/YWG).
Not only that, but YYJ-YYZ is gone too.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
YYC-SNA got extended to year-round, 3x weekly in the summer.
What is WestJet's slot situation down there, are they allocated the YYC slot or borrowing it?

The Orange County Register used to report a great deal on airport governance but no longer.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
What is WestJet's slot situation down there, are they allocated the YYC slot or borrowing it?

The Orange County Register used to report a great deal on airport governance but no longer.
They seem to have split a single daily slot pair with YVR (which I believe use to run daily?)
YVR-SNA 4x weekly (Mon / Wed / Fri / Sun) and YYC-SNA 3x weekly (Tue / Thu / Sat).
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedric
Not only that, but YYJ-YYZ is gone too.
It looks like they've handed it to Swoop (3 times a week), but you can still fly WestJet to Comox (Saturdays only).

It'll be interesting to see if these Swoop conversions are permanent, or if WestJet joins Swoop as demand increases.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Welcome back to the skies Canada

WestJet have done a press release about the Summer schedule, including frequency tables and service summaries.

For whatever reason, there are also extra releases dedicated to Alberta and Nova Scotia.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:52 am

There's also one for Toronto as well:
https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2022-0...pe-this-summer
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:14 am

Their latest trans-Atlantic 787 schedule shows 106 segments per week by June, this is very tight to do with 8 aircraft and impossible with the current 6 in-service aircraft. I'm assuming they think the FAA will give the go-ahead for Boeing to deliver the 2 new aircraft that have been built since last summer and awaiting additional QA checks before delivery.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
Their latest trans-Atlantic 787 schedule shows 106 segments per week by June, this is very tight to do with 8 aircraft and impossible with the current 6 in-service aircraft. I'm assuming they think the FAA will give the go-ahead for Boeing to deliver the 2 new aircraft that have been built since last summer and awaiting additional QA checks before delivery.
The current can be done with 6 they have. But would require use of all of them, basically everyday.

YYC-LGW 5x weekly (Not on Tue / Sat)
YYC-LHR 4x weekly (Tue/Wed Fri/Sat)
YYC-CDG 5x weekly (Not on Wed / Sat)
YYC-DUB 3x weekly (Sat / Sun / Wed)
YYC-FCO 3x weekly (Wed / Thu / Sat)
YYZ-LGW 9x weekly (2x on Tue / Sat)
YYZ-BCN 3x weekly (Mon / Thu / Fri)
YVR-LGW 1x daily

It would require using all 6, except on Tuesday when only 5 would be needed? (Unless my math is wrong).
V1213 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
No sign of AMS in the 2022 summer schedule. Likely in part due to aircraft availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.