WestJet Network Updates

Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by V1213
WestJet has put out a release with their highlights from the updated schedule, including a table of returning routes at the bottom.

I assume that the WestJet schedules pages will be getting updated today.
While the public website schedule guides don't appear to have been updated, the travel agent portal schedule updates page has, including handy tables of which routes are still suspended.
cedric likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the heads up, ya the domestic schedule page is still saying Dec 15, but the actual schedule appears to be updated and now looks realistic, hopefully just a miss / delay on their end.
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by gmclean1987
Thanks everyone for the heads up, ya the domestic schedule page is still saying Dec 15, but the actual schedule appears to be updated and now looks realistic, hopefully just a miss / delay on their end.
You'd think by now they'd have this updated. Had a look today as we are trying to sort out a bunch of flights. Not too impressed that they can't update their published schedule. I have also noted that some of the itineraries I want to book must have restricted fares filed--for example, on some dates that I looked I cannot book a business class fare from YQR to LGW via YYC. YYC-LGW shows availability, but not ex-YQR. As the YQR-YYC leg is on a Q400 premium seat availability is moot anyhow so it must be because they have not filed the requisite fares (or so goes my thinking).
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by arf04
You'd think by now they'd have this updated. Had a look today as we are trying to sort out a bunch of flights. Not too impressed that they can't update their published schedule. I have also noted that some of the itineraries I want to book must have restricted fares filed--for example, on some dates that I looked I cannot book a business class fare from YQR to LGW via YYC. YYC-LGW shows availability, but not ex-YQR. As the YQR-YYC leg is on a Q400 premium seat availability is moot anyhow so it must be because they have not filed the requisite fares (or so goes my thinking).
I'm pretty sure the fares are loaded in the system but the big problem with YQR at the moment appears to be Premium space to YYC.
Particularly if you want to fly to YYC and connect in the morning, there are tons of days when there are no Premium seats left. The January schedule has upgraded the morning YYC flight to a 737 everyday, but that adds only 2 Premium seats to the mix. I hope they're not too far away from re-instituting the double morning flights to YYC, which would help to solve this connections-driven crunch.

In terms of making YQR-YYC-LGW work, try a mutli-city booking so you can book the YQR-YYC leg in Economy instead.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by V1213
I'm pretty sure the fares are loaded in the system but the big problem with YQR at the moment appears to be Premium space to YYC.
Particularly if you want to fly to YYC and connect in the morning, there are tons of days when there are no Premium seats left. The January schedule has upgraded the morning YYC flight to a 737 everyday, but that adds only 2 Premium seats to the mix. I hope they're not too far away from re-instituting the double morning flights to YYC, which would help to solve this connections-driven crunch.

In terms of making YQR-YYC-LGW work, try a mutli-city booking so you can book the YQR-YYC leg in Economy instead.
I will definitely look at the multi-city option. I know that some airlines will book a person into another class if their class is not available (e.g., book you into Y when P or C are not available), which makes sense in particular in a case such as a Q400 flight where the seating is more or less the same across the aircraft.

Thanks for your reply--appreciate it!
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
I'm pretty sure it's actually updated and they just didn't update that schedule page. I also noticed lack of premium seats (my trip also involves a transit through YYC) on many routes, especially near Christmas. My assumption was these are legitimately sold out rather than just not being opened up yet (I suspect many people will be traveling for the holidays this year after staying back last year, and capacity still isn't back to normal; plus a bunch of us have companion vouchers piling up which makes Premium extra tempting to get 2 premium for the price of 1). Fortunately I had some flexibility with my dates so was able to grab premium at a reasonable price by shifting my dates around.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by gmclean1987
I'm pretty sure it's actually updated and they just didn't update that schedule page. I also noticed lack of premium seats (my trip also involves a transit through YYC) on many routes, especially near Christmas. My assumption was these are legitimately sold out rather than just not being opened up yet (I suspect many people will be traveling for the holidays this year after staying back last year, and capacity still isn't back to normal; plus a bunch of us have companion vouchers piling up which makes Premium extra tempting to get 2 premium for the price of 1). Fortunately I had some flexibility with my dates so was able to grab premium at a reasonable price by shifting my dates around.
Oh yes, the schedule itself does look to be updated. However, the schedule page is quite useful when planning trips, especially given how much in flux things have been. It is much harder to know which days one can fly to destination X now than pre-pandemic, so having the overview is a really good thing.

I too have noted that some flights are simply sold out of premium seats, probably for all the reasons you note. It is not that in itself that I am stumbling over but rather wanting to connect onto a flight that does have premium seats available but not being able to book it because the YQR-YYC segment is sold out in premium. So, if I want business class on YYC-LGW I cannot buy the ticket because premium is sold out on the YQR-YYC leg, and that leg is often on a Q400 anyhow so it doesn't really matter where I sit (but I do want the lie flat to LGW!!).

The suggestion given above of booking a multi-city ticket looks to be a good workaround, but it is not the most straightforward way to do it.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Im happy for any route start up these days but WestJet Encores Seattle service is kinda underwhelming. YYC-SEA used to be served by multiple flights per day on Embraer jets, with two classes of service, by both DL and AS. AS was occasionally mainline 737s too. Now we just have a single class turboprop. Sign of the times, I guess.

I wonder how much of WestJets traffic on this route will be O/D versus feeding Deltas substantial hub at SEA.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:55 pm

According to this story, WS hinted at possibly upping the SEA flights to a 737 in the future.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8351485/w...n-stop-flight/

The route is currently being served by a 78-seat De Havilland Dash 8-400, but WestJet said it will re-evaluate the route based on demand to find out whether it would be better served by the larger Boeing 737 or 737 MAX.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I wonder how much of WestJets traffic on this route will be O/D versus feeding Deltas substantial hub at SEA.
I also wonder that. It's such a pain to buy a ticket that involves both of those carriers, which I feel like somewhat limits demand. Then again, most of the things that suck about buying WS/DL interline tickets involve the front cabin and FFP earning, which aren't a big concern to a lot of the population.

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
According to this story, WS hinted at possibly upping the SEA flights to a 737 in the future.
I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, I don't want to sit on a DH4 for 2 hours. On the other, I don't want it to hoover up all the demand and discourage DL and AS from returning to the market, especially DL.
tcook052 and FlyerJ like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Thats great Cory! I wonder , if it may even relate to them considering / shopping for a different fleet type altogether for missions like SEA and other potential and imminent trans border markets going forward in this decade and beyond?

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Nov 5, 2021 at 11:46 pm
Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, I don't want to sit on a DH4 for 2 hours. On the other, I don't want it to hoover up all the demand and discourage DL and AS from returning to the market, especially DL.
Alaska is already back on YYC-SEA, and even has plans *currently* to use a E75 starting in January. So I'm guessing WS hasn't made much of a dent yet. I am curious to see if DL will ever return or if they'll just settle with codesharing the WS flights.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:52 am

WS has responded to AC's recent YYC-YQB add, by moving up the resumption date to May 21 from July 1 (same day AC starts) at 5x weekly, then increasing to daily from June 23 and extending the season into October.

Haven't seen any other changes to the S22 schedule yet.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I also wonder that. It's such a pain to buy a ticket that involves both of those carriers, which I feel like somewhat limits demand. Then again, most of the things that suck about buying WS/DL interline tickets involve the front cabin and FFP earning, which aren't a big concern to a lot of the population.

I'm assuming that's the same aircraft used for YYZ-BOS. It's brutal if your seat is close to the propellers. The seats aren't that comfortable, but at least it's not a long transcon flight...

Does WS fly YVR-SEA? If not, will that ever happen in the future?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the schedule, I'm assuming the schedule for YYZ-YVR has now been finalized for the remainder of 2021? What are the odds that WS will surprise me with cancelations?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.