WestJet Network Updates

Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
WestJet: "We want to attract business travellers"
Also WestJet: "We don't think you need to travel between Montreal and Vancouver and if you do, then only infrequently or with a stop in Calgary"
Perhaps business travel is not fully recovered in Canada to warrant ramp up of frequency or capacity expansion to Montral.

Perhaps their focus right now is to make money during a precarious time .

In the end, Toronto is the main business city in Canada, with the TSX based there. All my business travel when I did have itineraries to Canada, were always to Toronto.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Oct 12, 2021 at 5:16 am
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:13 pm

Probably a long shot, but has anyone heard anything about when Westjet plans to release their domestic Christmas schedule? Westjet's domestic schedule page [www DOT westjet DOT com/en-us/travel-info/flight-schedules] is still showing flights are only valid until Dec 15 (this looks right, I checked a route I'm familiar with and appears to be pre-Covid frequency starting the 16th).

I'm getting slightly impatient since I'd like to get travel booked soon, but don't want to book an itinerary that is almost certain to get rebooked on me.
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
While the publishing of the real schedule is one area where Air Canada and WestJet haven't been in lockstep of late, it appears as though Air Canada have loaded realistic flights for travel until January 9. Hopefully this means that WestJet isn't too far away from publishing theirs.

Originally Posted by gmclean1987
Westjet's domestic schedule page [www DOT westjet DOT com/en-us/travel-info/flight-schedules] is still showing flights are only valid until Dec 15
I'll also note that WestJet has revised their plans since they first announced the schedule until December 15. Some routes have seen further reductions (eg. from November 1 YQR-YYZ is dropping to 2 flights per week, instead of the original plan for 3 flights per week and what is listed on the schedule page) - flight changes are always possible.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by V1213
While the publishing of the real schedule is one area where Air Canada and WestJet haven't been in lockstep of late, it appears as though Air Canada have loaded realistic flights for travel until January 9. Hopefully this means that WestJet isn't too far away from publishing theirs.

I'll also note that WestJet has revised their plans since they first announced the schedule until December 15. Some routes have seen further reductions (eg. from November 1 YQR-YYZ is dropping to 2 flights per week, instead of the original plan for 3 flights per week and what is listed on the schedule page) - flight changes are always possible.
Hope you're right!

Ya, I understand nothing is set in stone, but I'd at least like to see a realistic schedule, not their pre-Covid one that I assume is basically 100% likely to get rebooked for my route. For summer travel, I waited until that page said the schedule was current and all went off without a hitch.

I wouldn't even mind getting rebooked so much if it wasn't for the call center backups. Now if I don't like the rebooking, it will be a huge hassle to change it. Yet I'm guessing travel demand over the holidays will be crazy and airlines still won't be fully scaled back up , so I'd like to get these tickets booked (I've resorted to refreshing the page every day )
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I noticed on the November schedule the 787 service between YYZ and YVR is not listed anymore and replaced with a 737-800!!
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I noticed on the November schedule the 787 service between YYZ and YVR is not listed anymore and replaced with a 737-800!!
Presumably the 787s will all be flying south.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:32 am

The last big schedule change happened early September, so I'm guessing it will get done either this weekend or next into January.

Interesting. So this implies a 787 will be based at YVR to do the daily OGG runs, perhaps rotating the frames at OGG once YYC service resumes on the 6th. I see no other changes to the 789 schedule in November yet.

YYC-YYZ/CUN/PVR/OGG/LGW
YYZ-YYC/CUN/LGW
YVR-OGG

On another note, YYC-SFO got upped to four weekly flights for parts of the winter months.
NA-Flyer, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
WestJet: "We want to attract business travellers"
Also WestJet: "We don't think you need to travel between Montreal and Vancouver and if you do, then only infrequently or with a stop in Calgary"
Hahaha why would anyone fly YVR-YUL on WestJet?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by jashah
I need to go from YYJ to YUL. AC runs 3 flights a day from YVR (330, 787, MAX) and WS none. They do go from YYC once a day on 737. Im surprised AC could fill ~ 700 seats on this route each day and WS wouldnt try running one flight between YVR and YUL. Anyone have any insight as to why this may be? I imagine the fact that YUL is one of ACs hubs plays a role.

Thx
YUL is a major TATL hub for AC, they drive a lot of traffic through there. WS wants to drive traffic out of YYC and YYZ, their largest hubs. Network planning has done the math and clearly YVR-YUL is all leisure and only profitable in summer.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: skyteam
new Director of network and schedule planning talks about direction WS is on

Aviacionline spoke to WestJets Frank Satusky, who less than two months ago joined the airline, coming from Air Canada, as Director for Network and Schedule Planning. He discussed the companys future plans leaving the pandemic and whats next for the Canadian carrier.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2021/10...ng-at-westjet/
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 2:36 pm

In last night's OAG update, looks like the modified schedule got extended to the end of January and will probably hit the booking system by tonight.
V1213 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
In last night's OAG update, looks like the modified schedule got extended to the end of January and will probably hit the booking system by tonight.
Where the 787s will fly to with the modified schedule?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:02 am

Where the 787s will fly to with the modified schedule?
Looks to be mostly the same as it is in November/December.

Domestic:
YYC-YYZ

Transborder:
YYC/YVR-OGG

International:
YYC/YYZ-LGW/CUN
YYC-PVR

Didn't get a full look yet but it looks like YYC will have most of its Transborder network back (minus DEN) by mid-December with FLL back on the schedule.
NA-Flyer and V1213 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
From a quick look at what's in the GDS now, it looks like there's a small boost in frequency over the weeks of Christmas (ie. some routes are going from 2 to 3 times per week, etc.), but nothing as extreme as last year (some routes that weren't operating at all came back as almost daily routes for the weeks of Christmas than disappeared again).

In terms of domestic travel, YQR-YWG is returning on December 16, operating Mon, Thu, Sat & Sun. I believe this is one of the last traditionally all-season routes that has yet to be restored?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

WestJet to return to 95 destinations this winter

WestJet has put out a release with their highlights from the updated schedule, including a table of returning routes at the bottom.

I assume that the WestJet schedules pages will be getting updated today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.