WestJet Network Updates

Old Mar 10, 23, 1:10 am
  #391  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 1,296
Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
The departure timing of the YYC to YYT, YYG, YQM, etc. flights this summer now are all around 9:15 am, well before any of the flights from the US arrive, thus making it impractical to have any traffic from the US to those places on Westjet. The same issue for the way back (planes get into YYC too late for passengers to make their connection to the US). US connection traffic must not be significant for Westjet, so they must have figured it was dispensable..
In fairness, its super tough to schedule long haul (really long!) eastbound flights like these any differently.

Not only are they super lengthy flights, they cover three time zones losing 3 hours on the outbound. Total flight time plus time zone changes only leaves a limited window if they want to run the flights during daytime.

The only real other option to do these - each using a single aircraft based in YYC - and with timing that would allow for more than just very short-haul, regional connections at YYC: run one segment as an overnight flight. That would be awful (IMO, any redeye not crossing an ocean is awful) and incredibly unappealing.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Mar 10, 23, 8:26 am
  #392  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ ✈ YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,783
You wouldn't have to do them as red-eyes ... just depart YYC/YEG in the mid-afternoon for an arrival in the east around midnight ... depart westbound the following morning at 6:00 am for a mid-morning arrival. That still wouldn't accommodate all the westbound US connections, but might allow some, and would allow for most pax headed eastbound.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Mar 10, 23, 8:27 am
  #393  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Posts: 955
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
In fairness, its super tough to schedule long haul (really long!) eastbound flights like these any differently. Not only are they super lengthy flights, they cover three time zones losing 3 hours on the outbound. Total flight time plus time zone changes only leaves a limited window if they want to run the flights during daytime. The only real other option to do these - each using a single aircraft based in YYC - and with timing that would allow for more than just very short-haul, regional connections at YYC: run one segment as an overnight flight. That would be awful (IMO, any redeye not crossing an ocean is awful) and incredibly unappealing.
I get that, but if the US market would be lucrative for Westjet, I would think that they might schedule 1 am (or so) departures from LAX, LAS, PHX, etc. to make those 9 am departures from YYC, with corresponding returns from YYC to the US Southwest in the evening when the flights from the Atlantic Provinces have returned. Delta currently schedules 1 am departures from the West to hubs like MSP (not much different in distance from YYC), and those are reasonably full.
PHXflier is offline  
Old Mar 10, 23, 2:20 pm
  #394  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Posts: 876
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
If you're YVR-based, it avoids a connection in YYZ - I don't see the problem here.
The problem is illustrated here.

If like me you have a business commitment in NB (not in Moncton, but Moncton is the closest destination WS allegedly fly to) from June 4 to June 10, this is what is bookable.



My destination is Saint John. Previously I've gone WS into YFC and driven the 50 minutes. It's a pleasant drive in the summer and really not much more than driving form YSJ. Now with no WS into YFC, I would have a longer drive from Moncton and my option is one flight a day and only sometimes.

Meanwhile, the red and white planes fly into YSJ with connections via YYZ or (shudder) YUL several times a day, so if I have to change my departure time or day, I can.

I am just about to buy a ticket on AC. WS could have had that money together with the money for the other 5 tickets I will end up buying into YSJ this year.
Frequentlander is online now  
Old Mar 11, 23, 1:46 pm
  #395  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 1,914
Originally Posted by gmclean1987 View Post
Although probably already known to people on here, summer schedule update for my hometown airport of Thunder Bay was in their local news, announcing the end of YYZ flights and increased YWG: https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...ervice-6653765.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the new western focus, but I'm still pretty shocked they completely shut off the YQT-YYZ flights (I took that flight many times while in school, and occasionally its precursor to YHM as a kid). But at least increasing Winnipeg frequency to roughly what it was pre-pandemic (and with arrival/depart times that will allow for easier connections), along with giving a direct Calgary flight another shot are good news for me now that I live in Vancouver. I don't think many people will connect through YWG to get to YYZ or eastern US/Canada, but using Winnipeg as a bit more of a mini-hub to get to sun destinations won't be the worst option for people in TBay.
Gone are the early days of WJ when flights would stop in YQT on their way east.
respectable_man is offline  
Old Mar 13, 23, 8:45 pm
  #396  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AC, KL
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
The problem is illustrated here.

If like me you have a business commitment in NB (not in Moncton, but Moncton is the closest destination WS allegedly fly to) from June 4 to June 10, this is what is bookable.



My destination is Saint John. Previously I've gone WS into YFC and driven the 50 minutes. It's a pleasant drive in the summer and really not much more than driving form YSJ. Now with no WS into YFC, I would have a longer drive from Moncton and my option is one flight a day and only sometimes.

Meanwhile, the red and white planes fly into YSJ with connections via YYZ or (shudder) YUL several times a day, so if I have to change my departure time or day, I can.

I am just about to buy a ticket on AC. WS could have had that money together with the money for the other 5 tickets I will end up buying into YSJ this year.
But there should be connections through YEG on two other days no?
BML87 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 23, 11:20 pm
  #397  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Posts: 876
Originally Posted by BML87 View Post
But there should be connections through YEG on two other days no?
The screenshot shows what's available YVR to Moncton via any route.

I've booked on AC.
Frequentlander is online now  
Old Mar 14, 23, 5:21 pm
  #398  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 366
YXE-MSP has been extended to year-round, currently showing 3x weekly in the winter months. (Same op days at the Summer Mon / Wed / Fri)

I suspect YEG-MSP along with YYC-DTW & YVR-ATL may follow suit at some point too.
Fisch, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 23, 5:39 pm
  #399  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YMJ (YQR)
Programs: Qantas Platinum, WestJet Gold
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post
YXE-MSP has been extended to year-round, currently showing 3x weekly in the winter months. (Same op days at the Summer Mon / Wed / Fri)

I suspect YEG-MSP along with YYC-DTW & YVR-ATL may follow suit at some point too.
I wouldn't be surprised if YXE-MSP is year round as part of the provincial funding. The other routes are, as far as I'm aware, not subsidized and therefore may well only be seasonal.
V1213 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 23, 8:49 am
  #400  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YMJ (YQR)
Programs: Qantas Platinum, WestJet Gold
Posts: 246
The Canadian Transportation Agency has authorized WestJet to operate code share flights to:The authorizations don't speak to how or whom would operate the code shares, merely that WestJet can sell WS-coded tickets between Canada and those destinations.

Assuming that they'd leverage their NRT flights for these code shares, the logical partner is JAL.
With WestJet's flights arriving and departing NRT around the same time as JL's YVR flights (16:00 from YYC vs 16:30 from YVR, 18:15 to YYC vs 18:30 to YVR), the same evening connection wave would be available. This includes:
  • From NRT
    • JL711 to SIN at 17:55
    • JL745 to MNL at 18:00
    • JL735 to HKG at 18:10
  • To NRT
    • JL746 from MNL at 15:35
    • JL736 from HKG at 16:05
    • JL712 from SIN at 16:10
Fisch, aerobod, gcashin and 4 others like this.
V1213 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 23, 6:29 pm
  #401  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 3,214
Originally Posted by V1213 View Post
The Canadian Transportation Agency has authorized WestJet to operate code share flights to:The authorizations don't speak to how or whom would operate the code shares, merely that WestJet can sell WS-coded tickets between Canada and those destinations.

Assuming that they'd leverage their NRT flights for these code shares, the logical partner is JAL.
With WestJet's flights arriving and departing NRT around the same time as JL's YVR flights (16:00 from YYC vs 16:30 from YVR, 18:15 to YYC vs 18:30 to YVR), the same evening connection wave would be available. This includes:
  • From NRT
    • JL711 to SIN at 17:55
    • JL745 to MNL at 18:00
    • JL735 to HKG at 18:10
  • To NRT
    • JL746 from MNL at 15:35
    • JL736 from HKG at 16:05
    • JL712 from SIN at 16:10
I'm surprised Saigon (JL 759) isn't included, it departs only ten minutes earlier than Singapore.
Da_Master likes this.
Error 601 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 23, 9:17 pm
  #402  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 366
WS has added extra capacity to a few US routes in June.

YYC-LAX gets a 4th flight on Saturdays (Except June 3, plus Thu June 1).
YYC-PHX increased to 16x weekly (3x on Thu / Sat)
YYC-BNA increased to 5x weekly
YYZ-BNA increased to 6x weekly
YYC-SFO gets 3rd flight on Sundays (goes 17x weekly from June 30)

So far this is just in June for now. YYC-Los Angeles having upwards of 5 flights (including SNA) on a single day is kinda wild.
aerobod, Da_Master and V1213 like this.
hollywoodcory17 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread