Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet announces enhanced status benefits when flying on Delta

Old Mar 18, 21, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold

Just got an e-mail from WS announcing that many top-tier privileges will be be available when flying DL. As a Gold, here's what they told me I'll get when flying DL:

• Complimentary preferred seat access
  • Two checked bags
  • Priority check-in and bag drop, baggage handling, security and boarding
  • Lounge access to Delta Sky Club® when your trip includes WestJet or Delta flights between the US and Canada
One guest is allowed lounge access.

Downside is that one's WS Rewards number needs to be on the file, which means any DL segments will earn at a crappy rate.
Old Mar 18, 21, 1:01 pm

This is incredible . . . beyond fantastic!

As Platinum, the benefits also include DL lounge access (which I absolutely was not expecting).

My outstanding concern:

To earn for status on WS, it appears that I still need to book WS tickets when flying on DL metal.

Whenever I've done that before, having a WS flight number for a DL segment prevented me from being able to buy up to MCE or First. (Both are easily purchased upgrades if you're flying a DL segment with a DL ticket.) In fact, any type of advance seat selection was often a problem.

So . . . if I still need to book WS flight numbers when flying on DL metal (to earn status), will these problems now be fixed?
Old Mar 18, 21, 1:08 pm

For clarity on what's earned as a WS customer on DL:

WestJet dollars are awarded on Delta Air Lines-marketed and operated flights worldwide (including Delta Connection® flights) based on distance flown, plus class of service bonus, when applicable.
Eligible towards annual qualifying spend? No.

If you fly DL but want to keep/build your WS status, you need to buy WS tickets for Delta-operated flights. And, as mentioned, those never worked well in the past!

Last edited by FlyerJ; Mar 18, 21 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 18, 21, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
If you fly DL but want to keep/build your WS status, you need to buy WS tickets for Delta-operated flights. And, as mentioned, those never worked well in the past!
What a joke. It seems they want to deepen the DL partnership and become more like a real FFP, but WS is still way behind in so many ways.
Old Mar 18, 21, 2:07 pm

Interesting that the only difference in Delta benefits between WS Gold and WS Platinum is the number of free checked bags.

Everything else is identical.
Old Mar 18, 21, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Interesting that the only difference in Delta benefits between WS Gold and WS Platinum is the number of free checked bags.

Everything else is identical.
Indeed, although that's not all that different from other alliances. For instance, an AC Super Elite and 50K are both Star Alliance Gold, which means when flying United or Lufthansa (for example), they're essentially the same.
Old Mar 20, 21, 11:34 am

So, WestJet folks ... can anyone confirm:

Has anything been fixed in regards to the problems with using WS tickets / WS flight numbers on Delta-operated segments?

Will I be able to do things like buy upgrades to Main Cabin Extra or First on Delta flights when I have a WS ticket? (Like I can if I buy a DL ticket on a DL segment...)
Old Mar 26, 21, 8:39 pm

Just confirmed ... the issues with buying WS tickets for DL operated flights are still there.

When I try to buy a WestJet-marketed ticket (i.e. a flight operated by DL, but tickted with a WS flight number) so that I can give my business to WestJet and continue earn WS status for myself:
  • On itineraries entirely operated by Delta ... you're stuck buying Economy on Delta only. No options.
  • On connecting itineraries with one segment operated by WS and one by DL ... you're still limited to only buying Economy. For both segments, even on the WS-operated segement! (E.g if you want to purchase YYC-ATL-MIA from WestJet, you're restricted to only puchasing Economy -- even though the first segment from YYC to ATL is operated by WestJet. The fact that segment #2 is operated by DL but ticketed as WS seems to block you from having any choice ... even on the WS-operated segment to Atlanta!) That's crazy.
No ability to buy WS Premium or DL first ... when you buy from WestJet. That's a big flaw.

And I can only assume that means that I'll continue to be blocked from buying up to MCE Delta Comfort+ or First upgrades on Delta segments after I purchase my WS ticket. (I've done that often when buying DL tickets for DL flights ... it's a relatively inexpensive and really easy upgrade purchase on DL, so I'll often pay for it myself after my employer-paid economy fare is ticketed.)

Oddly, though ... it's not broken in reverse. It works way better for Delta customers! DL customers get a lot more flexibility when purchasing WS-operated segments with DL flight numbers. If a DL customer purchases a segment operated by WS (with a DL flight number) they do have the flexibility to purchase either WS Econo or WS Premium. And if a DL customer puchases a connecting itinerary with one segment on WS and one on DL ... they again have the flexibility to choose their cabin. And they have full choice and full access to buy what they want for the DL-operated segment.

It's super frustrating. While reciprocal benefits are absolutely wonderful and a huge leap forward ... it frankly doesn't work if I need to buy WS flight numbers (which I do, in order to build/maintain WS status) and I'm therefore limited in what I can buy and handcuffed in what options are available to me.

As it stands now, I'd be a lot better off only buying DL tickets through Delta and only using Delta SkyMiles ... still flying on WestJet, but booking it all through Delta and therefore giving all of my business to Delta. Same flights, same reciprocal benefits ... but a whole lot more flexibility, and the ability to buy what I want.

And for what it's worth, these issues do not exist with the competition. With AC and UA, this all works pretty easy and seemlessly. Kind of like how the WS/DL partnership works for DL customers! These glitches still leave WS at a disadvantage.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Apr 3, 21 at 12:53 pm Reason: Corrected "MCE" to "Comfort+". (Oops! MCE is AA's premium economy. Comfort+ is Delta's!)
Old Mar 26, 21, 9:28 pm

Programs: skyteam
Just confirmed ... the issues with buying WS tickets for DL operated flights are still there.

When I try to buy a WestJet-marketed ticket (i.e. a flight operated by DL, but tickted with a WS flight number) so that I can give my business to WestJet and continue earn WS status for myself:
  • On itineraries entirely operated by Delta ... you're stuck buying Economy on Delta only. No options.
  • On connecting itineraries with one segment operated by WS and one by DL ... you're still limited to only buying Economy. For both segments, even on the WS-operated segement! (E.g if you want to purchase YYC-ATL-MIA from WestJet, you're restricted to only puchasing Economy -- even though the first segment from YYC to ATL is operated by WestJet. The fact that segment #2 is operated by DL but ticketed as WS seems to block you from having any choice ... even on the WS-operated segment to Atlanta!) That's crazy.
No ability to buy WS Premium or DL first ... when you buy from WestJet. That's a big flaw.

And I can only assume that means that I'll continue to be blocked from buying up to MCE or First upgrades on Delta segments after I purchase my WS ticket. (I've done that often when buying DL tickets for DL flights ... it's a relatively inexpensive and really easy upgrade purchase on DL, so I'll often pay for it myself after my employer-paid economy fare is ticketed.)

Oddly, though ... it's not broken in reverse. It works way better for Delta customers! DL customers get a lot more flexibility when purchasing WS-operated segments with DL flight numbers. If a DL customer purchases a segment operated by WS (with a DL flight number) they do have the flexibility to purchase either WS Econo or WS Premium. And if a DL customer puchases a connecting itinerary with one segment on WS and one on DL ... they again have the flexibility to choose their cabin. And they have full choice and full access to buy what they want for the DL-operated segment.

It's super frustrating. While reciprocal benefits are absolutely wonderful and a huge leap forward ... it frankly doesn't work if I need to buy WS flight numbers (which I do, in order to build/maintain WS status) and I'm therefore limited in what I can buy and handcuffed in what options are available to me.

As it stands now, I'd be a lot better off only buying DL tickets through Delta and only using Delta SkyMiles ... still flying on WestJet, but booking it all through Delta and therefore giving all of my business to Delta. Same flights, same reciprocal benefits ... but a whole lot more flexibility, and the ability to buy what I want.

And for what it's worth, these issues do not exist with the competition. With AC and UA, this all works pretty easy and seemlessly. Kind of like how the WS/DL partnership works for DL customers! These glitches still leave WS at a disadvantage.
You ought to write in . https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/contact-us/share-feedback
Old Apr 3, 21, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
I gotta think they'd already know all this?!

After all, they set it up this way. I assume they either did it by choice or due to systems limitations.

Either way, it still puts WS customers flying on DL at a significant disadvantage.

(Apologies for my repeated error in my earlier posts! I referred a few times to buying upgrades to "MCE" or First on Delta - and the fact that customers flying Delta using WS tickets can't buy up to those better seats/service. The premium economy product ain't called MCE on Delta ... it's "Comfort+". Oops.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: