Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Access to YYZ T1 lounge with a T3 boarding pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K

I am flying YYZ-YVR on WS in business on the 789, also have Gold status. Ordinarily I’d just use the Plaza Premium lounge in T3, however it appears that the only PPL open is domestic T1. Will security let me through to access the PPL in T1 with a boarding pass for T3? We have a 3 hour layover in YYZ so lounge access would be nice to have.

thanks
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
I am flying YYZ-YVR on WS in business on the 789, also have Gold status. Ordinarily I’d just use the Plaza Premium lounge in T3, however it appears that the only PPL open is domestic T1. Will security let me through to access the PPL in T1 with a boarding pass for T3? We have a 3 hour layover in YYZ so lounge access would be nice to have.

thanks
I tried this before and security did not let me.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Copa Presidential Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Unfortunately, unlike in the US where you can access any terminal as long as you have a boarding pass (have done this multiple times in EWR, just told TSA I needed to use the Virgin Lounge in terminal B even though I was flying on UA out of terminal C), in Toronto they denied me.

I think multiple people have been trying this as now they seem to have an Air Canada agent standing by T1 security. When asked, the agent rudely told me “this is Air Canada’s terminal, you can’t use the Maple Leaf Lounge”... I simply smiled, thanked her for her time and wished her a great day. Guess she doesn’t know that it’s not ACs terminal (Star Alliance airlines + Emirates use T1 too) or that there is a Plaza Premium lounge.

The T3 domestic Plaza Premium was open for a month and half or so but they closed it back again on Dec 25 which is too bad
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by KLM671
Unfortunately, unlike in the US where you can access any terminal as long as you have a boarding pass (have done this multiple times in EWR, just told TSA I needed to use the Virgin Lounge in terminal B even though I was flying on UA out of terminal C), in Toronto they denied me.

I think multiple people have been trying this as now they seem to have an Air Canada agent standing by T1 security. When asked, the agent rudely told me “this is Air Canada’s terminal, you can’t use the Maple Leaf Lounge”... I simply smiled, thanked her for her time and wished her a great day. Guess she doesn’t know that it’s not ACs terminal (Star Alliance airlines + Emirates use T1 too) or that there is a Plaza Premium lounge.

The T3 domestic Plaza Premium was open for a month and half or so but they closed it back again on Dec 25 which is too bad
WS should see this as an opportunity to go to the airport authority and say, Look the current lounge operator is not operating their lounge, let us take over the space and turn it into a WestJet Elevate lounge. It would demonstrate WS commitment and loyalty to its loyal and premium customers. We shall if WS has the foresight and commitment to do that at one of its two major hubs.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
WS should see this as an opportunity to go to the airport authority and say, Look the current lounge operator is not operating their lounge, let us take over the space and turn it into a WestJet Elevate lounge. It would demonstrate WS commitment and loyalty to its loyal and premium customers. We shall if WS has the foresight and commitment to do that at one of its two major hubs.
I think it definitely is in the plans for WS to eventually open a lounge in YYZ. Unfortunately due to the pandemic I feel like this would be delayed but I have no way of knowing that.

I think the big issue is that Plaza Premium can’t currently afford to keep the lounge open with the very limited amount of passengers at T3... T1 is definitely busier and so is Calgary, T3 however is a ghost town at many times of the day and of course Korean, KL and AF use the AFKL lounge so that’s another issue.

I’m guessing the Chinese (Hainan/China Eastern) and Cathay are not offering any lounge now in YYZ.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:55 pm

I usually just buy a refundable AC ticket, check in and then call and cancel it once I am in the lounge for a full refund.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by KLM671
This is good to know. Is the AF/KLM lounge still open in T3 or did it close as well? Not that I fly WJ often anyway...
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
This is good to know. Is the AF/KLM lounge still open in T3 or did it close as well? Not that I fly WJ often anyway...
Last I checked it was open, but hours change everyday depending on Korean Air flights... food selection was very limited though.
cirrusdragoon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.