Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Which WS fares have the best dollar to miles ratio crediting to DL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Anyone here credit their WS flights to DL? When I fly WS, it's mainly YVR-YYZ/YUL. Looking for suggestions on fares that give me the most amount of miles for dollars spent.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Anyone here credit their WS flights to DL?
I sure don't.

Looking for suggestions on fares that give me the most amount of miles for dollars spent.
Have you looked at the DL chart for earning on WS? It's pretty poor across the board.

Where are you based and what else do you usually fly?

From my perspective, it would only make sense to credit WS flights to DL if (a) they were helpful in gaining DL status that you were already trying to get and (b) you rarely flew WS.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I really wish WS would make it obvious what the fare type is online. What are the W, O, and R fares on WS?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that if a fare class isn't listed on DL's charts, this means that it earns nothing.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that if a fare class isn't listed on DL's charts, this means that it earns nothing.
Yes, I'm aware of that. WS makes it very difficult to figure out the fare type online. You have any idea?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes, I'm aware of that. WS makes it very difficult to figure out the fare type online. You have any idea?
I just went through the entire booking process in the app and didn't get a fare class anywhere, including in the detailed fare rules. Haven't checked doing it on desktop or completing a booking or checking a receipt, but you might try those and see what happens.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I just went through the entire booking process in the app and didn't get a fare class anywhere, including in the detailed fare rules. Haven't checked doing it on desktop or completing a booking or checking a receipt, but you might try those and see what happens.
None. It's almost like as if WS doesn't want its customers to know what the fare type is.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:43 pm

Call an agent and book over the phone. I do work while on hold.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Call an agent and book over the phone. I do work while on hold.
The website said it's a 96 minute wait...sigh...
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:31 pm

Okay, so I've now tried this on the app and desktop websites, and there's nowhere I can find the fare code when booking.

It does show up in the PDF receipt that's attached to the booking confirmation - it's the first letter of the fare basis code, e.g. if your fare basis is "LCQD0LFG", you have an L class fare.

The bad news is that WS now seems to be employing branded fares (see this thread I just started, as that's a separate topic), which means that you might buy an EconoFlex ticket thinking it's going to credit 100%, or at least 50% to DL, but only later finding out that you booked a K fare that only credits 25% because it's "deep discount economy".

If WS has indeed gone the branded fare route, the DL earning chart should surely be revised to better reflect that alignment, but until then, this is just another reason not to credit WS flights to DL.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:35 pm

So I have a YYC-YYZ flight coming up with fare code LTUD0BZG

But I booked a basic economy ticket so I wouldn't earn anything with WS. But with DL's award chart, it seems like that "L" class fares earn 25%.

Looks like it is time for me to switch my frequent flyer number to DL's on this flight.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Okay, so I've now tried this on the app and desktop websites, and there's nowhere I can find the fare code when booking.

It does show up in the PDF receipt that's attached to the booking confirmation - it's the first letter of the fare basis code, e.g. if your fare basis is "LCQD0LFG", you have an L class fare.

The bad news is that WS now seems to be employing branded fares (see this thread I just started, as that's a separate topic), which means that you might buy an EconoFlex ticket thinking it's going to credit 100%, or at least 50% to DL, but only later finding out that you booked a K fare that only credits 25% because it's "deep discount economy".

If WS has indeed gone the branded fare route, the DL earning chart should surely be revised to better reflect that alignment, but until then, this is just another reason not to credit WS flights to DL.
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
So I have a YYC-YYZ flight coming up with fare code LTUD0BZG

But I booked a basic economy ticket so I wouldn't earn anything with WS. But with DL's award chart, it seems like that "L" class fares earn 25%.

Looks like it is time for me to switch my frequent flyer number to DL's on this flight.
I called WS yesterday. It took a long time for anyone to pick up the phone. Basically the rep contradicted what you said Adam Smith. She said Econoflex will get 100% with DL as it's a B fare. If what you say is true, then how does one buy an Econoflex fare that will give them 100% when credited to DL? Through a travel agent? I'm assuming maybe a TA can target certain fare codes?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: WestJet Gold
Here is a list of fare classes:
Basic = E (shows a fare basis code beginning with L) - No earn with DL
Member Exclusive: V = Econo, P = Premium, Z = Business - No earn with DL
Econo = L, K, T, X, S, N, Q, H
Econo Flex = M, B, Y
Premium = R, O
Premium Flex = W
Business = D, C
Business Flex = J
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wzzy22
Here is a list of fare classes:
Basic = E (shows a fare basis code beginning with L) - No earn with DL
Member Exclusive: V = Econo, P = Premium, Z = Business - No earn with DL
Econo = L, K, T, X, S, N, Q, H
Econo Flex = M, B, Y
Premium = R, O
Premium Flex = W
Business = D, C
Business Flex = J
Didn't Adam said it doesn't matter as econoflex may actually be an L-fare or a heavily discounted economy fare?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
No, if you buy something that says EconoFlex on the WS site, it will be either an M, B or Y fare. M is worth 50% and B or Y is worth 100%. An EconoFlex fare will never be an L fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.