Summer 2021 PEI

Old Dec 19, 20, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Summer 2021 PEI

Does anyone know if WS plans to return to YYG in 2021 if COVID gets under control? I just booked a hotel for a trip there next summer but am holding off booking any flights as I imagine the current schedules published by both AC and WS are meaningless at this point. AC is still showing service there on Rouge which I try to avoid and coming from YYJ where I live, WS usually has better flight options.

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 20, 12:39 am
Original Member

Schedules are currently being built and determined on a month-to-month basis. The actual February schedule hasn't even been loaded. I'm confident that WS will add back markets/destination when they become viable from a COVID, and therefore demand standpoint. The Atlantic bubble, until it is lifted will guarantee no reintroductions.
Old Dec 20, 20, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by jashah View Post
Does anyone know if WS plans to return to YYG in 2021 if COVID gets under control? I just booked a hotel for a trip there next summer but am holding off booking any flights as I imagine the current schedules published by both AC and WS are meaningless at this point. AC is still showing service there on Rouge which I try to avoid and coming from YYJ where I live, WS usually has better flight options.Thanks
In the event you see a deal, book it and deal with schedule changes later! This past year, I did this and managed to build in stopovers in both YYC and YEG enroute to YVR. Family visits done and dusted!

I agree with you about Rouge. The only reason to book AC is that Customer Service will move you to a mainline flight if one becomes available.

In the aftermath of the Atlantic Bubble, I also suggest you begin looking @ alternates if PEI does not open up. My PF is the Magdalen Islands (which can also be visited from Souris, PEI).
Old Dec 20, 20, 8:13 am

We go every summer and always fly into YHZ and drive, that might be a safer bet at this point. We’ve done the three hour drive many times and quite enjoy it.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 20, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My wife wants to avoid travelling outside the country until COVID is fully under control which realistically won’t be until the fall the way things are going. My thought is to go to PEI and stop somewhere in Canada on the way home. (That was my thought this past summer as well but obviously wasn’t possible.)

I sure hope PEI is open for Canadians by summer. I can’t imagine the tourism industry surviving another summer with the severe restrictions in place.
Old Dec 20, 20, 11:54 am

All flights to YYG have been zeroed out for WestJet. I would say there is little hope that they are going to resume in S21.

AC might go back to regional service to Atlantic Canada as they are doing right now. The Rouge service that you are seeing is the default schedule pre-covid.
Old Dec 21, 20, 1:19 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
I agree with you about Rouge. The only reason to book AC is that Customer Service will move you to a mainline flight if one becomes available.
AC will not move you to a mainline flight if one becomes available. They will only move you from rouge to mainline if your rouge flight is cancelled and mainline is a reasonable alternative. But more in-depth discussion of that is better suited to the AC forum...

If and when flights to become bookable to YYG, WS might be a better alternative, because it looks like they might actually give you your money back if they decide to cancel your flight, whereas AC likely won't.

Originally Posted by On Time Reports View Post
All flights to YYG have been zeroed out for WestJet.
Indeed. As far as the WS website and app are concerned, YYG doesn't even exist!
Old Dec 22, 20, 10:46 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Any decisions by airlines on scheduling flights back into YYG will almost certainly come down to whether or not the province is willing to allow non-residents to enter PEI. In summer of 2020, only full-time residents and, from July on, seasonal residents were allowed to enter the province.

As seasonal residents, spouse and I still had to apply for permission to come out, and do the mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arrival. So far as I know, that is still the case today.

I think everyone is hopeful that vaccines will allow that to change. When it will happen is anyone's guess. But until there is some assurance they won't be flying empty airplanes, I can't see either AC or Westjet rushing to put YYG back on the schedule.

Booking a fully refundable flight into Halifax or Moncton is obviously an option, but that still won't get you into PEI so long as the present provincial restrictions remain in place. As a non-resident, you will be turned around at the bridge. Just sayin ...
Old Dec 22, 20, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Iím hoping the restrictions are eased for Canadians by next summer but who knows.

I canít see how the tourism sector could survive another season with the current restriction in place. Hopefully enough of the population will be vaccinated by summer that there can be some return to normalcy.
Old Dec 23, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I agree with you, and I hope you are right. Unfortunately, with its excellent but limited health care system PEI would be overwhelmed quickly if they had a serious Covid outbreak there. I think everyone understands why they've taken these extraordinary measures, but no one likes it. I'm a part-owner of a tourism-related business on the island, believe me, I get the financial repercussions.

At present the only air traffic into YYG is one flight a day to YYZ and one a day to YUL (both on AC) with the YYZ flight to be cut after the holidays. I'm not sure about the YUL flight. What happens after that remains to be seen.
Old Dec 23, 20, 2:12 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
You won't see YYG resume much until the bubble disappears or the federal government decides to pay for it. The demand just isn't there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: