Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet offering no charge COVID-19 insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue

"As we continue to put your Safety Above All, we’re introducing no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance coverage through a new partner, TuGo ® to provide you with peace of mind, so you can love where you’re going. Starting September 18, 2020, coverage will be included on eligible new WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations package bookings to Mexico, the Caribbean (excluding the U.S.), Europe and the UK for travel until August 31, 2021"

good that is includes flights and not only vacation packages (I think this is AC's limited offering at this time) but it looks pre existing bookings are not covered. This is lame as people are going to cancel and rebook...and may even find lower fares
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Deleted.

Last edited by Sopwith; Sep 11, 2020 at 7:18 pm Reason: Deleted. Just noticed the US is excluded.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
So I'm holding a booking to Hawaii in January, booked a few months ago when they offered a free change if necessary. Fares to book now are quite a bit less. So does this mean I can rebook the original for some other time or destination, book a new ticket to Hawaii in January and get the insurance?

It's interesting that my current travel medical policy is with TuGo but their web site says there is no COVID coverage for trips begun after March 13.
Note that WestJet explicitly excludes the US from the insurance coverage, fine for all other destinations they fly to, though.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The phrasing makes me suspect that PR and USVI are excluded.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It says “travel insurance coverage”. Is that cancelation/interruption coverage, medical coverage, both, or what? Like any insurance you need to carefully read the policy before you buy.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
In our continued efforts to put your Safety Above All, effective September 18, 2020 we'll offer no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for our guests when travelling to Europe, the UK, Mexico and the Caribbean (excluding the U.S. and U.S. territories) until August 31, 2021. This coverage also extends to inbound guests to Canada from these destinations. Coverage will be automatically included when you purchase your booking.

What's covered*

• New round-trip bookings including WestJet Vacations packages (excluding U.S.) will be eligible for coverage up to 21 days
  • New one-way bookings will be eligible for coverage for up to seven days
  • Emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travellers if diagnosed with COVID-19 while outside of Canada (excluding U.S.) for up to a maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
  • Emergency medical and hospital costs for inbound travellers visiting Canada diagnosed with COVID-19 while in Canada up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
  • Quarantine accommodation costs when the traveller tests positive for COVID-19 on the trip up to $150 CAD per insured person, per day to a maximum of 14 days for inbound and outbound reservations.
  • Ambulance transportation and air evacuation costs related to COVID-19, up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
  • COVID-19 repatriation costs in case of death of up to $5,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
  • One-way economy airfare for the return of one travelling companion and dependent children when air evacuated back home for treatment.
  • COVID-19 related insurance coverage will apply to any eligible itinerary that includes at least one flight operated by WestJet (code 838). You will qualify for coverage regardless of whether your first flight was operated by WestJet or by one of WestJet’s code share partners so long as your booking was ticketed on WestJet and includes a flight operated by WestJet.
  • If you purchased your ticket on a WestJet-operated flight from another airline, even if that airline is a code-share partner airline of WestJet, you will not be eligible for coverage.
*Exclusions apply. Not available to residents of Saskatchewan, United States, or for travel including cruises.

Safety above all

We’re continuing to ensure the safest travel experience for our guests. See all the robust safety measures we have in place for your journey.

About TuGo

Canadian-owned and operated for nearly 60 years, TuGo specializes in products and services that support travellers’ health, wellness and safety across Canada and around the globe. As one of Canada’s top insurance providers and a Platinum Club member of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, TuGo offers 24/7 in-house emergency travel medical assistance, with support in 27 languages. TuGo recognizes the challenges and uncertainty Canadians are experiencing; that’s why we’re working to equip travellers with the services and support they need to travel again.

Ron.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
They are trying to give us some peace of mind to open our wallets. Don't worry, we got you covered, what's your credit card number to pay for this $8000 vacation for next January? Need someone with insurance expertise to interpret the fine print of inclusions and exclusions - my question is under what scenarios are we likely to be denied benefit? Where is the grey area where they can deny us? Words written by lawyers on these policies are never what they appear. What it means to us average joes are not what they really mean when it comes time for when you need the coverage.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:21 pm

Since they deny refunds for cancelled flights by misleadingly claiming "force majeure", I suspect that they will try to find a way to deny paying out under this insurance when someone makes a legitimate claim
tecate55 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Does anyone know how this insurance works if you book through Delta? We are considering YYZ-MCO. Looking at the options, there is WestJet, or Delta, showing the flight operated by WestJet. Due to the refund issues we would lean towards DElta, but this insurance could be a factor. Assuming it has to be booked through WestJet, but wondered if anyone knew anything more?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by Bluefan75
Does anyone know how this insurance works if you book through Delta? We are considering YYZ-MCO. Looking at the options, there is WestJet, or Delta, showing the flight operated by WestJet. Due to the refund issues we would lean towards Delta, but this insurance could be a factor. Assuming it has to be booked through WestJet, but wondered if anyone knew anything more?
It has to be a WestJet ticket (838 ticket number start vs a DL ticket number of 006). You would not qualify for the insurance if you booked on a 006 DL ticket number.

From their website:
If you purchased your ticket on a WestJet-operated flight from another airline, even if that airline is a code-share partner airline of WestJet, you will not be eligible for coverage
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...ovid-insurance
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by wzzy22
It has to be a WestJet ticket (838 ticket number start vs a DL ticket number of 006). You would not qualify for the insurance if you booked on a 006 DL ticket number.

From their website:
If you purchased your ticket on a WestJet-operated flight from another airline, even if that airline is a code-share partner airline of WestJet, you will not be eligible for coverage
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...ovid-insurance
Thank you. I assumed so, but wanted to be sure I read it correctly.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50
Any current experiences with Westjet Covid insurance?

I am trying to get some clarification on the Covid medical insurance for tickets purchased in June 2021 for a return trip to Mexico in November 2021.

In the initial announcement in September 2020 (quoted above), an expiry date was set at August 31, 2021. However, in one on-line document, a pdf entitled Summary of Coverage, it states insurance is valid until October 31st 2021. The on-line digital travel assistance states it is only available until August 31, 2021. Yet, if I purchase a ticket today, the link on the booking site goes to a document that describes the “Complimentary COVID-19 travel insurance” where it states it is included in all tickets purchased on or after September 18, 2020.

Is the end date on a sliding scale and will be extended into November 2021 and beyond, or was it never really available for the tickets I purchased in June 2021?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
If your trip is in Nov. 2021, it is not covered.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...insurance#faqs

Customers who purchase a WestJet flight (including codeshare flights booked and ticketed by WestJet, with an itinerary that includes at least one flight operated by WestJet (code 838)) or vacation package on or after September 18, 2020 for travel between and including September 18, 2020 and October 31, 2021.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
... and for anyone who is covered by WestJet's free insurance, be sure to have a close look at it before travelling.

We did, and were not comfortable with the level of coverage. IMO, the medical coverage is a bit sparse since it caps at $200k. (That's a tiny amount if you end up in a hospital in the U.S.)

In spite of having the free WestJet insurance, I've also purchased coverage from Manulife for my out-of-Canada trips so far. It covers Covid (most travel insurance does not) and it offers pretty strong coverage as long as you're vaccinated.
tcook052 likes this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Aug 30, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.