WS to serve London LHR

Old Sep 1, 20, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

WS to serve London LHR

No word on origin yet - but two daily flights to LHR to begin 25 Oct!

Fiordland and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 12:48 pm

Probably replacing YYC / YYZ - LGW service.
Old Sep 1, 20, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
They didn’t shower themselves in glory last time. Good luck!
Old Sep 1, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
No word on origin yet - but two daily flights to LHR to begin 25 Oct!

https://twitter.com/MZulqarnainBut1/...65796931702784
Nice. WS gets to sit at the big table with the grownup airlines instead of the little kids table.

Once COVID is over, they do need three slots to cover Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Perhaps they are waiting until after COVID to ask for the third slot.
Old Sep 1, 20, 2:33 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Once COVID is over, they do need three slots to cover Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Perhaps they are waiting until after COVID to ask for the third slot.
YVR was always seasonal and AC covers LHR from YVR. So I expect YYZ/YYC for WS, and it might delay AC's LHR return on that route (YYC-LHR).
zappy312 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:19 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Sigh... my neighbor warned me they were working on this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
YVR was always seasonal and AC covers LHR from YVR. So I expect YYZ/YYC for WS, and it might delay AC's LHR return on that route (YYC-LHR).
AC in summer has in years past had three slots that work for Western Canada. Calgary and Vancouver each have their own and the third slot have bounced between Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver from year to year. In the 90s I think it was even used on Winnipeg for a period. Yes, YVR is well covered, however I do like the idea of competition to keep AC and BA competitive.

Like you I expect this to be the end of YYC to Heathrow on AC for several years.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Is Westjet already selling tickets for these flights?
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post
Probably replacing YYC / YYZ - LGW service.
Not sure about that. From what I understand, they won't be able to transfer their LGW flights, as they run the risk of losing those slots, as LGW hasn't yet waived their slot usage guidelines for W20, meaning the 80/20 use it or lose it rule still applies, as far as I know.

The slot hand back deadline at LHR was 31 August 2020, and the fact this news came about Sept 1 leads me to believe these are ad hoc slot approvals. These aren't regular slots, and you need to apply every time for ad hoc slot approvals, before the start of every season, with no guarantee of approval. They also come with their own restrictions.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...localrule2.pdf

The following conditions may result in the suspension of the allocation of ad hoc slots: adverse operating conditions (e.g. severe weather), special events (e.g. major
sporting event or state occasion) or temporary loss of airport infrastructure (e.g. a runway closure) that is likely to lead to significant and prolonged disruption or delay. Heathrow’s Airside Director or delegated representative in cooperation with NATS will declare to ACL if such conditions exist. The allocation of ad hoc availability may be suspended and any allocated ad hoc slots may be withdrawn upon reasonable notice to the operator.
Not ideal, but if you want to fly into LHR, you take what you can get. Will be interesting to see what WS does, as they only have 2 months advance notice to try and fill up twice daily LHR flights, in the middle of a pandemic, and with COVID cases on the rise in the UK.

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Nice. WS gets to sit at the big table with the grownup airlines instead of the little kids table.
Ad-hoc slots at LHR is like the little kids table too. If you want to sit at the grownups table, you need to buy year round slots off of another airline, and those come at a premium. Pandemic, or not.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Sep 2, 20 at 9:26 am
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Not sure about that. From what I understand, they won't be able to transfer their LGW flights, as they run the risk of losing those slots, as LGW hasn't yet waived their slot usage guidelines for W20, meaning the 80/20 use it or lose it rule still applies, as far as I know.

The slot hand back deadline at LHR was 31 August 2020, and the fact this news came about Sept 1 leads me to believe these are ad hoc slot approvals. These aren't regular slots, and you need to apply every time for ad hoc slot approvals, before the start of every season, with no guarantee of approval. They also come with their own restrictions.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...localrule2.pdf

Not ideal, but if you want to fly into LHR, you take what you can get. Will be interesting to see what WS does, as they only have 2 months advance notice to try and fill up twice daily LHR flights, in the middle of a pandemic, and with COVID cases on the rise in the UK.

Ad-hoc slots at LHR is like the little kids table too. If you want to sit at the grownups table, you need to buy year round slots off of another airline, and those come at a premium. Pandemic, or not.
Are you absolutely certain this is Westjet’s case? Where did you find out they acquired it ad hoc?
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Is Westjet already selling tickets for these flights?
No, and they haven't even been officially announced either.

However they aren't getting the loads they want for LGW anyways as later this month the flights reduce to just twice weekly, so I can't imagine moving flights to LHR with just 2 months notice is going to gain them any additional bookings. Perhaps they are willing to take losses to get in the door at LHR?

Also these flights are currently only filed for the winter, so it may also only be a temporary for now.
Old Sep 2, 20, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
Are you absolutely certain this is Westjet’s case? Where did you find out they acquired it ad hoc?
Well,

1. WS requested 56 weekly slots (4 daily flights) for LHR during the W20 initial coordination, and was denied all 56 slots (this was as of June 2020).

2. If it was a slot trade with another airline, It would be posted at the following link. It isn’t.

https://www.acl-uk.org/completed-slot-trades/

3. They didn’t purchase 2 slot pairs, or else it would have been make public by now, certainly for an October start. I initially thought they might be the one to have purchased the NZ slots last January, but that’s just 1 slot pair, and the timing of the flight is a bit off. (Turns out it's UA who bought the slots)

All of this, coupled with the timing, narrows it down to an ad-hoc slot approval.

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post

Also these flights are currently only filed for the winter, so it may also only be a temporary for now.
Further reinforcing the fact these are ad-hoc slot approvals.

If WS wants S21 ad-hoc slots, they can only apply in mid-January of next year.
cirrusdragoon likes this.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Sep 2, 20 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 3, 20, 1:58 pm

This is what I posted in a different thread:

From February.......

https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-g...ndon-heathrow/

WestJet too would undoubtedly like to expand services at the UK’s capital from its current home at Gatwick. Both are low-cost and neither currently has any slots at the airport. JetBlue previously requested 70 slots and WestJet 14.

I don't believe an airline has to use the slots they own.
The slots could be leased out to other carriers.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
I don't believe an airline has to use the slots they own.
The slots could be leased out to other carriers.
That's an option. Although it's pretty short notice to try and lease out some slots at LGW for winter 2020, in the middle of a pandemic.

Let's see what WS does.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
That's an option. Although it's pretty short notice to try and lease out some slots at LGW for winter 2020, in the middle of a pandemic.

Let's see what WS does.
They could always go to using Heathrow or LGW as an intermediate stop. That immediately uses up 4 slots per day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: