WS to serve London LHR

Old Mar 22, 21, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
Westjet is vying for closer ties with Virgin Atlantic , whom has recently consolidated their presence at LHR.
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post
WestJet recently signed a codeshare agreement with VS that they could in theory expand for connecting options through LHR?
I'm not sure that Virgin's route network makes a whole lot of sense for Westjet. Excluding North American and Caribbean destinations, VS only flies to the following from LHR: Tel Aviv; Lagos; Johannesburg and Capetown; Delhi and Mumbai; Islamabad and Lahore; Shanghai and Hong Kong.

If they wanted to increase European coverage, partnering with Easyjet at LGW would seem to make more a compelling case; Easyjet is the biggest airline at LGW and they serve 116 destinations across Europe, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:24 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
If they wanted to increase European coverage, partnering with Easyjet at LGW would seem to make more a compelling case; Easyjet is the biggest airline at LGW and they serve 116 destinations across Europe, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco.
Partnering with EasyJet could make sense as they have agreements with multiple other airlines
https://worldwide.easyjet.com/
Transat is one the list for now but who knows how that will end up?
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
Transat is one the list for now but who knows how that will end up?
Actually, Westjet is on the list too!
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 21, 2:42 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Actually, Westjet is on the list too!
Did not know that.
Old Mar 22, 21, 2:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I'm not sure that Virgin's route network makes a whole lot of sense for Westjet. Excluding North American and Caribbean destinations, VS only flies to the following from LHR: Tel Aviv; Lagos; Johannesburg and Capetown; Delhi and Mumbai; Islamabad and Lahore; Shanghai and Hong Kong.

I think WS needs to focus more on connections that will fill empty seats. India is what the European airlines have traditional used to fill extra seats from Canada. You would need to look at the VS connection to see if the connections work. Those are likely once a day flights for VS.

I think partnering with EasyJet is a step backwards for WS. If their goal is to be a main stream airline with a business cabin they need to build partnerships with the same.
Old Mar 22, 21, 5:59 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
WestJet isn't really partnered with EasyJet in any conventional sense. GatwickConnects just operates a bag drop and provides travel insurance for missed connections.

You cannot book flights connecting to EasyJet through WestJet directly.

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I think partnering with EasyJet is a step backwards for WS. If their goal is to be a main stream airline with a business cabin they need to build partnerships with the same.
If British Airways will dump connecting passengers onto Vueling WestJet can too.
Fiordland likes this.

Last edited by Error 601; Mar 22, 21 at 6:10 pm
Old Mar 23, 21, 6:32 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
WestJet isn't really partnered with EasyJet in any conventional sense. GatwickConnects just operates a bag drop and provides travel insurance for missed connections.

You cannot book flights connecting to EasyJet through WestJet directly.
No, but interestingly, you can book them directly through easyJet. I just tried a couple of dummy bookings on the easyJet website and found I was able to book all sorts of flights between Europe and Canada on easyJet/WestJet .... and the reverse, flights ex-Canada on WestJet/easyJet. I initially looked just out of YYZ but also found plenty of other flights to other WestJet hubs like YYC and YVR. I was able to follow through each dummy booking right to the point of entering my credit card, including seat selection on the easyJet flights, with a note I would be able to select seats on the WestJet flights once booked.

You can't do that through GatwickConnects, and suggests that some sort of partnership does indeed exist.

Westbound:

Eastbound:

YVR:

YYC:
Old Mar 23, 21, 9:23 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
You can't do that through GatwickConnects, and suggests that some sort of partnership does indeed exist.
This link has gone dead in the last couple of weeks: https://worldwide.easyjet.com/static...ConnectFAQ.pdf

It appears there is a rebranding taking place as the service is extended to other airports but this is how it was described at the time.

easyJet has launched ‘Worldwide by easyJet’ – a product that allows passengers using easyJet.com to book flights on easyJet and connecting flights at London Gatwick with easyJet and other airlines.

With seats available from today, “Worldwide by easyJet” enables passengers to connect their easyJet flight with launch partners WestJet and Norwegian using the GatwickConnects product.

GatwickConnects is a product from Gatwick airport. To use it passengers collect their bags from the arriving flight and take it to the GatwickConnects desks in baggage reclaim. They are checked-in and their bags taken to the flight. Passengers then exit through Customs, go to security and then the departure lounge.

https://www.passengerselfservice.com...ghts-platform/
Old Mar 23, 21, 3:37 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Very interesting, Error601, thanks for that link.
Old Mar 26, 21, 11:28 am

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...port-S21-1.pdf

A new LHR report was released this week, and it shows WS has obtained 28x weekly (enough for 2x daily service) for S21 to operate service to YYC/YVR. This still doesn't mean they'll actually use them.
Old Mar 26, 21, 11:46 am

Programs: skyteam

A new LHR report was released this week, and it shows WS has obtained 28x weekly (enough for 2x daily service) for S21 to operate service to YYC/YVR. This still doesn't mean they'll actually use them.
Splendid , my fingers are crossed.
Old Mar 26, 21, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

Do we know what time of the day the slots are for?
Old Mar 26, 21, 12:19 pm

Do we know what time of the day the slots are for?
Schedule times are listed in my previous post when I bumped the discussion.

The times change almost daily, but are mostly mid to late morning to afternoon.

Arrivals range from 09:00-12:20
Departures range from 11:00-16:10.

In comparison to the Winter slot discussion, the Winter LHR report did not list WestJet. This leads me to believe they haven't returned them as of yet (for Summer). The LGW SOS S21 report shows WS still plans daily ops from YYZ/YYC/YVR & YHZ. So I guess we shall see what they do.
Fiordland and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Mar 27, 21, 5:35 pm

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress.com/2021/03/27/westjet-jetblue-bamboo-airways-secure-london-heathrow-slots/

Westjet obtained slots to London Heathrow for daily flights to Calgary and Vancouver. The Canadian carrier was allocated 732 slots, allowing it to start services as soon as May 1. Currently, the low-cost Canadian airline has slots at neighboring Gatwick that allow four daily services a day to Calgary, Halifax, Toronto and Vancouver. It is unknown whether WestJet will utilize Heathrow instead of Gatwick.

The flights will operate from Terminal 2. From Heathrow’s Terminal Finder tool, it displays a slot for a 9 a.m. arrival and 11 a.m. departure for Vancouver service and 11:20 a.m. arrival and 1:20 p.m. departure for Calgary service.

Tentatively, WestJet has filed a return to London at the end of May as the airline plans its return to transatlantic service when Canadian borders reopen. Last year, WestJet resumed 3x weekly service from Calgary to London Gatwick before canceling it due to the closure of Canadian borders.

These flights will operate using WestJet’s Boeing 787-9 featuring 320 seats, including 16 business class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 28 premium class seats in a 2-3-2 configuration and 276 economy class seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
Old Apr 22, 21, 12:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
It all has to start somewhere, someone has to and will make the first move. If Westjet wants to tap the business market segment , bold and sometimes expensive moves have to be made.
Plenty of businesspeople in YYC are happy to take WS to LGW if London is their destination. Your personal preference for LHR does not mean that no business travellers want to go to LGW.

The beauty of it all . Just because they have not tapped the full potential of certain partnerships yet does not mean they will not. Neither myself nor anyone else has a crystal ball for what lies ahead. It is a wonderful thing to watch a flower bloom.
WS's track record suggests it will be a long time, if ever, before these partnerships generate much traffic.

In the meantime, they would just be burning money to fly to LHR instead of LGW. That's not smart business sense, nor is it consistent with WS's philosophy.

Just thought I'd post an update. In this weeks OAG filing, WS has now removed YYC/YYZ-LGW until June 5th. Should hit the booking system by tonight. No LHR fillings yet.
Still not selling any YYC-LHR flights though, only LGW. I think it's highly unlikely the slots will be used this summer.

That year was the one summer where all three of those airlines (AC/BA and WS) had J class service on YYC-LON, all of them had good LF's. Even TS had good loads too. I've heard mixed reasonings on why BA reduced back to seasonal from poor load factors, to the RR engines, to even a BA employee mentioning they didn't want to pay for deicing? (Could have been a mix of all of those factors). BA only cancelled the route a few months ago but I imagine they will be back in YYC at some point in the future, just not the next few years.
BA's first pullback from YYC was definitely RR-related. They've explicitly called YYC a permanent cancellation, so I wouldn't rule out them ever coming back, but it doesn't seem likely in the next few years.

My guess is AC and WS will be back on the route. Who knows about Transat. But I think BA is done. If WS can get the slots for nothing, they should do Heathrow it gives them more options for onward connections.
Heathrow gives WS the most long-term options where they can fill the aircraft with both connecting and local traffic. Despite the fact it is an evil airport to make connections at, it just has so many options. However that is dependent on WS finding someone in their organizations that can get these deals done.
It only gives them options for onward connections if they have the partnerships though. There aren't a lot of people buying separate tickets to self-connect when they can so easily purchase a single ticket from other airlines.

I don't know that it's about getting deals done, I think it's more about implementing the deals, deepening them, and actually making something of them. They already have partnerships with AF and KL that they're not doing much with. As I've pointed out upthread, WS won't sell you a ticket to many of the places that those airlines fly. Rather than dicking around at LHR and trying to sign something with VS, they should figure out what they need to do to leverage the network that they're already sort-of part of. That may mean joining the SkyTeam TATL JV, which would take some time, but what they have done to date suggests there should be scope to do a lot more without getting there (e.g. they can sell me YYC-CDG-DUS, why not YYC-CDG-BER?).

None of that requires flying to Heathrow anytime soon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: