Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS to serve London LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Not sure how I feel about this. I prefer LGW to LHR for a number of reasons, being smaller and less congested.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: skyteam
Much prefer LHR for international connectivity , I cannot get to FRA from LGW. It is very limited for options to OTP and MAD. I cannot even get to CAI if I am in LGW. I have no problems at LHR . Much prefer the lounge options ( enjoy my skyteam lounge there) and shopping at LHR , more choice.
flipstah likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Sep 7, 2020 at 12:21 pm
Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Where are you travelling from that you would need to go through the UK to get to Frankfurt?
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
LGW and LHR are both pretty bad airports but LGW is the less objectionable of the two. The only benefit that LHR has is for connections. If you need to connect, you're going through LHR, but if I'm connections, I try and find another route to get to my destination, that doesn't involve LHR.

If I'm visiting UK and need to get a train from central London (or staying in London), LGW has good rail connections.
If I'm visiting places more northerly, I'll look at Iceland air and go into MAN, GLA or EDI.

As for shopping.... my idea of a perfect airport is a featureless box with clean toilets and on time departures. Every-time I'm made to navigate the maze through some duty free, I want to tip a very expensive and repugnant-smelling bottle of perfume all over airport manager.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
Where are you travelling from that you would need to go through the UK to get to Frankfurt?
I am London based currently. LHR is much closer to the central city and connected far better by rail than LGW. Especially even more so once the Elizabeth line opens , the central section of the Elizabeth Line crossing London between Paddington and Abbey Wood could now be ready to open in the first half of 2022.
flipstah likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Sep 8, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
They could always go to using Heathrow or LGW as an intermediate stop. That immediately uses up 4 slots per day.
Intermediate stop to where? They have a hard time filling planes to London as it is, much less to other European cities, with a one-stop at that.

Very likely WS ends up not using these ad-hoc slots to LHR.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
They could always go to using Heathrow or LGW as an intermediate stop. That immediately uses up 4 slots per day.
I can't see how that makes much sense, flying a heavy into LHR/LGW and then on to another airport in Europe? Not very attractive to pax and a very expensive proposition for an airline.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I can't see how that makes much sense, flying a heavy into LHR/LGW and then on to another airport in Europe? Not very attractive to pax and a very expensive proposition for an airline.
Does not have to be a Heavy. WS was normally flying the 737 across the pond. The onward connection also does not have to be the same aircraft that does the transatlatic flight. It simply has to have the same flight number.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Does not have to be a Heavy. WS was normally flying the 737 across the pond. The onward connection also does not have to be the same aircraft that does the transatlatic flight. It simply has to have the same flight number.
I’m not convinced that WS would sign up for that, nor do I think they’ll get the freedom rights to do so, not to mention that no one locally will choose that service. It’s a non-starter idea, IMO.
aerobod and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:01 pm

https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...iver-extension

The European Commission (EC) has agreed to extend the slot waiver until the end of the 2020/2021 winter season, in a move aimed at helping the aviation sector recover from the devastation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:55 pm

They've updated their schedule already until November 4, and still no LHR. Doubt they would add it with such short notice now.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:58 am

WestJet has returned the slots they obtained for LHR this winter, and continue to serve LGW for the time being.

Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:42 am

Perhaps its time to revive this discussion? On Heathrow's website under the terminal finder, if you check dates in the summer it shows WS flights under flight numbers 60/61 to YYC and 62/63 to YVR and that they are scheduled to use terminal 2. Perhaps just like back in the winter, due to COVID, WS was able to get ad-hoc slots. Under the waiver, should WS choose to use these slots they would still be subjected to the 80/20 rule.

If you look under Arrivals/Departures it also shows a schedule too:
WS060 Arrives 12:10 / WS061 Departs 16:00. (Also scheduled: Arrives: 11:00 / Departs: 13:20 on certain dates)
WS062 Arrives 10:15 / WS063 Departs 13:15

This same clue is being used to speculate that JetBlue is about to announce LHR as well.

Curious to see what lies in the future. For now YYC/YYZ-LGW are scheduled to resume May 5 and YVR/YHZ-LGW from June 5.

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...which-terminal (Search: YYC or YVR on June 1 and beyond)
https://i.imgur.com/k7y7fja.jpg
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Perhaps its time to revive this discussion?
I doubt WS is going to fly to LHR any time soon. I can see why they would apply for the slots for the option value, but LGW is presumably cheaper for them to fly to and fine for those destined for London itself.

LHR's big advantage over LGW is for connecting traffic, but WS is still extremely poor in international partnerships, so there doesn't seem to be much value there.

A comment now not related to your post in particular, cory, but I find this notion expressed upthread that WS flying YYC-LHR would somehow kill AC's YYC-LHR flight to be laughable. Those who have been choosing to fly AC if London is their destination have been picking it over WS for whatever reasons they have - status, price, corporate contracts, whatever - and not because of which airport they flew to.

AC also does a fair amount of connecting traffic at LHR, mostly with *A partners, but some with BA. How would WS poach someone who would have flown YYC-LHR-JNB on AC then SA or BA? Or someone doing YYC-LHR-India on AC-AI? Those people are generally not buying separate tickets, which is the only way WS would be competitive.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I doubt WS is going to fly to LHR any time soon. I can see why they would apply for the slots for the option value, but LGW is presumably cheaper for them to fly to and fine for those destined for London itself.

LHR's big advantage over LGW is for connecting traffic, but WS is still extremely poor in international partnerships, so there doesn't seem to be much value there.

A comment now not related to your post in particular, cory, but I find this notion expressed upthread that WS flying YYC-LHR would somehow kill AC's YYC-LHR flight to be laughable. Those who have been choosing to fly AC if London is their destination have been picking it over WS for whatever reasons they have - status, price, corporate contracts, whatever - and not because of which airport they flew to.

AC also does a fair amount of connecting traffic at LHR, mostly with *A partners, but some with BA. How would WS poach someone who would have flown YYC-LHR-JNB on AC then SA or BA? Or someone doing YYC-LHR-India on AC-AI? Those people are generally not buying separate tickets, which is the only way WS would be competitive.
Business travellers travelling on business prefer LHR . Westjet knows they need to serve LHR to attract that market segment. Westjet is vying for closer ties with Virgin Atlantic , whom has recently consolidated their presence at LHR. Then there is the relationship with Air France KLM . Emirates as well does serve LHR . The two are current codeshare partners already. Many possibilities. It is certainly going to be an interesting next few years.
flipstah likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.