Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hawaii to welcome Canadian tourists in September!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii to welcome Canadian tourists in September!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Did you stay in SEA, or come back to Canada after the test? Any issues crossing the border? Quarantine?
We were on our way to Hawaii so we just stopped in SEA for the night. Had we returned to Canada, we would have had to quarantine. I have traveled transborder several times since March and have had to quarantine each time on return to Canada but there are no issues with flying in either direction. It is business as usual for both directions as a Canadian (other than quarantine on return to Canada).
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I’m hoping that the recently announced rapid test trial in YYC will kick start YYC-OGG/HNL non stop again on the 787 this winter! Fingers crossed!
Vegabird likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
I’m hoping that the recently announced rapid test trial in YYC will kick start YYC-OGG/HNL non stop again on the 787 this winter! Fingers crossed!
They had a seat sale this weekend for flights in December from YYC (they wasted no time in taking advantage of this pilot program) and it did include both HNL and OGG, so it seems they are at least looking at resuming it.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/lowfar...iscount-code/2
YYCguy and Vegabird like this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by Finkface
We were on our way to Hawaii so we just stopped in SEA for the night. Had we returned to Canada, we would have had to quarantine. I have traveled transborder several times since March and have had to quarantine each time on return to Canada but there are no issues with flying in either direction. It is business as usual for both directions as a Canadian (other than quarantine on return to Canada).
What do you mean? Of course you will have to quarantine if you enter Canada by air.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Merlin666
What do you mean? Of course you will have to quarantine if you enter Canada by air.
That’s exactly what I said.
Originally Posted by Finkface
Where did I say otherwise?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:50 pm

Looks like you might be getting your wish. WS has included HNL and OGG in it's December schedule update from both YYC and YVR and it the YYC flights will be once weekly on the 787 from December 19/20th.
YYCguy and Vegabird like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:51 pm

WestJet to offer approved pre-flight testing for Hawaii travel - Nov 19, 2020

WS to offer approved pre-flight testing to travel to Hawaii and avoid 14 day quarantine.
YYCCL3 likes this.

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Nov 19, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
WestJet to offer approved pre-flight testing for Hawaii travel - Nov 19, 2020

WS to offer approved pre-flight testing to travel to Hawaii and avoid 14 day quarantine.
You still have to quarantine on return to Canada, yes?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sopwith
You still have to quarantine on return to Canada, yes?
If you fly back into YYC and are staying in Alberta, you may opt in for the voluntary post travel test. One quarantines until the results are available (typically less than 48 hours) and if negative, go about your business as usual with two conditions: get a second test 5-6 days later AND remain in Alberta for 14 days.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
If you fly back into YYC and are staying in Alberta, you may opt in for the voluntary post travel test. One quarantines until the results are available (typically less than 48 hours) and if negative, go about your business as usual with two conditions: get a second test 5-6 days later AND remain in Alberta for 14 days.
Okay, thanks. So I return home to YVR and quarantine for 14 days or return to YYC and stay in Alberta for 14 days. Hmmm...let me think about that one.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Okay, thanks. So I return home to YVR and quarantine for 14 days or return to YYC and stay in Alberta for 14 days. Hmmm...let me think about that one.
Hopefully the post arrival test pilot goes well in YYC and can be rolled out to the other major airports in short order!
Sopwith and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
My Christmas flight to KOA got cancelled a month or so ago, and I was hopeful that Hawaii would approve some Canadian labs in time, so this is great news.

I rebooked to PLS, since their covid protocols were less unpredictable and onerous.

Please be aware that DynaLIFE testing seems to be in high demand, and with more routes on WS and AC opening to sun destinations it may be worth it to book early. I am in Edmonton, and while there are a variety of places where the swab can be taken, only one of them has an online booking option for late December. Monday, Dec 21 is already booked pretty much solid, and the following day or two are filing up already. They don't seem to be open between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day (for swabs, not sure about the lab that processes the tests itself). Now, there is an option to get the swab at a number of pharmacies, but you have to call directly in order to schedule, so perhaps there is still quite a bit of capacity for appointments. In any event, I would make sure I can get a test before I book anything for the Christmas holidays.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:23 am

good to know thx. I am thinking you booked PLS on AC? Did not think they were on the WJ sched this month.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
My Christmas flight to KOA got cancelled a month or so ago, and I was hopeful that Hawaii would approve some Canadian labs in time, so this is great news.

I rebooked to PLS, since their covid protocols were less unpredictable and onerous.

Please be aware that DynaLIFE testing seems to be in high demand, and with more routes on WS and AC opening to sun destinations it may be worth it to book early. I am in Edmonton, and while there are a variety of places where the swab can be taken, only one of them has an online booking option for late December. Monday, Dec 21 is already booked pretty much solid, and the following day or two are filing up already. They don't seem to be open between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day (for swabs, not sure about the lab that processes the tests itself). Now, there is an option to get the swab at a number of pharmacies, but you have to call directly in order to schedule, so perhaps there is still quite a bit of capacity for appointments. In any event, I would make sure I can get a test before I book anything for the Christmas holidays.
If WS customers can’t get a Dynalife appointment, can they use Shoppers Drug Mart’s pre travel testing service (which was announced as AC’s testing partner)?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.