Member Exclusive Fares SUSPENDED!

Old Jun 19, 20, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Member Exclusive Fares SUSPENDED!

Just received this email.. reworking the program. Probably not for the better.

We are rebuilding Member Exclusive fares.

As you’ve previously redeemed WestJet dollars for a Member Exclusive fare, we wanted you to be the first to know that after June 24, 2020, these fares will be temporarily unavailable for new bookings. Member Exclusive fares—which require full payment of the base fare in WestJet dollars—are currently offered to destinations in WestJet’s network, along with destinations around the world served by our airline partners. While providing great value, the redemption process needs improvement, and the current slowdown in travel worldwide presents us with a unique opportunity to temporarily pause these fares to enhance the experience. We commit to returning with a new reward redemption product, one that will include the ability to use your WestJet dollars to access seats in Premium and Business. In the meantime, as an appreciated member of WestJet Rewards, you can expect to receive more WestJet flight offers with enhanced value to thank you for your continued support.

If you are contemplating booking one of our Member Exclusive fares and are short on WestJet dollars, you can purchase a top-up online. Bookings made any time prior to June 25, 2020 will continue to be eligible for change or cancellation through our Contact Centre only.

Don’t forget, you can still use your WestJet dollars for full or partial redemption on any Economy, Premium or Business fare for any flight in our network, including code-share itineraries operated by Delta, Air France, Aeromexico and Qantas. A minimum of 15 WestJet dollars is all that’s required to redeem.*

Last day to book Member Exclusive fares:

June 24, 2020 (9:59 p.m. MT)

Ron.
Old Jun 19, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
The ME fares for NA were amazingly good value on WS metal with consistently 4 seats a flight. For high volume routes, this was awesome. While it's nice premium and business will be redeemable, I don't believe for a second the same Y redemption deal will return I also don't believe this will happen quickly, either. It sucks but I suppose mixed blessings if we get access to the premium cabin for a decent redemption.
Old Jun 19, 20, 11:31 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I will miss the member exclusives but that site was rough. My only real complaint is that the bookable west bound flights from Europe were usually asinine.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
I will miss the member exclusives but that site was rough. My only real complaint is that the bookable west bound flights from Europe were usually asinine.
I actually prefer the older site, it was easy to see the date a flight arrives on, plus it has the seat map available for instant viewing. Sure, the aircraft type was hard to decipher, but I got used to it.
Old Jun 19, 20, 4:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
The ME fares for NA were amazingly good value on WS metal with consistently 4 seats a flight. For high volume routes, this was awesome. While it's nice premium and business will be redeemable, I don't believe for a second the same Y redemption deal will return I also don't believe this will happen quickly, either. It sucks but I suppose mixed blessings if we get access to the premium cabin for a decent redemption.
Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think that if Westjet is still in business in a year, that a similar Y redemption deal needs to be in place if they want to put any value into their quasi frequent flyer award. People want to be loyal and find value in a frequent flyer program. Although Y redemptions were good because of the quantity 4 seats on many flights, and particularly good if you are flying to the maritime provinces or when prices were high.

I am hoping that the deal will still be similar and good value.
Old Jun 19, 20, 6:47 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think that if Westjet is still in business in a year, that a similar Y redemption deal needs to be in place if they want to put any value into their quasi frequent flyer award. People want to be loyal and find value in a frequent flyer program. Although Y redemptions were good because of the quantity 4 seats on many flights, and particularly good if you are flying to the maritime provinces or when prices were high.

I am hoping that the deal will still be similar and good value.
Agreed, I took advantage of ME fares for a number of high-season YYZ-YYG flights that would have been awfully pricey otherwise. I'll be interested to see what comes next.
Old Jun 19, 20, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

An unfortunate development to read just when I was eyeballing using them for an intra-Canada escape.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:18 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This has to be the most unrewarding program ever. When it returns back with redemptions in Premium and Business, I don't expect there to be good value, or anything even close to classic redemptions on legacy mileage programs like Aeroplan.

Even the Member Exclusive fares for Economy worked out to be more expensive than cash tickets all-in most of the time on many routes.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
This has to be the most unrewarding program ever. When it returns back with redemptions in Premium and Business, I don't expect there to be good value, or anything even close to classic redemptions on legacy mileage programs like Aeroplan.

Even the Member Exclusive fares for Economy worked out to be more expensive than cash tickets all-in most of the time on many routes.
$125 plus $39 ($53 on return) each way - YVR-YYT is a steal! ugh.

Ron.
tcook052 and zappy312 like this.
Old Jun 20, 20, 9:38 am

Maybe WestJet is waiting to see what AC/Aeroplan will do with their "new" program (when it launches, maybe, someday, ...) given it seems domestic "classic" redemptions will be history at Aeroplan; no point in being overcompetitive.

For what is worth, domestic ME fares that I ever booked where great value.
Old Jun 20, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'm looking at mostly international so anything I ever saw to Australia on QF and to LGW on WS was not very competitive.

Domestic cash fares are incredibly expensive so there is definitely value there, I agree, same goes for Aeroplan classic awards.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 2:14 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
I'm looking at mostly international so anything I ever saw to Australia on QF and to LGW on WS was not very competitive.

Domestic cash fares are incredibly expensive so there is definitely value there, I agree, same goes for Aeroplan classic awards.
I've booked numerous flights to Australia using ME and found it to be good value. The only downside is QF won't allow you to LMU.
Old Aug 24, 20, 12:23 pm

Any updates on when Member Exclusive fares might return?
Old Aug 24, 20, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by On Time Reports View Post
Any updates on when Member Exclusive fares might return?
officially - "soon"

My expectation is that they are tweaking a number of things with Member Exclusive Fares to be more competitive (or "enhanced" to be more comparable) with the new Aeroplan.
Old Aug 25, 20, 2:06 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
I have to expect this to be back in place before November 8th. It's a tough time for the airlines, but the new Aeroplan will hit WS hard if it leaves this too long.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: