Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using Travel Bank & Westjet Dollars for Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Anyone know how to apply Travel Bank credit and Westjet Dollars to a flight booking? I can't see a way to do it online and I've searched previous posts which say you need to call. You can't get through to anyone.

It's very shady of them to require you to call to be able to use both your Travel Bank and WSJ $'s.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by feist
Anyone know how to apply Travel Bank credit and Westjet Dollars to a flight booking? I can't see a way to do it online and I've searched previous posts which say you need to call. You can't get through to anyone.

It's very shady of them to require you to call to be able to use both your Travel Bank and WSJ $'s.
It's due to a limitation of the Sabre reservation system in handling only two forms of payment for IATA standard tickets, allowing either credit card and WSD or credit card and Travelbank payment. The complexity of handling the back-out of payments for cancellation and refunds causes a lot of problematic edge cases in the processing. Basically it has never been worth the amount of coding effort and cost to automate the processes vs having it handled manually.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:08 pm

Yes, as aerobod said, only way is to call. You can schedule a callback which avoids you waiting on hold, but unfortunately no other options. The reps are good enough at doing it so it's not an issue, but definitely takes some extra time.

The other thing to note is the two methods of payment must cover the entire cost of the ticket, you can't use a CC as well.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: no status
We also combined travel bank with companion ticket so only way to book was calling. It sure needs a lot of patience. This is to CDG in October which was cancelled for May and we were silly and booked Premium on top. I expect it will end up in travel bank again.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Seems it's now possible to do this online, as long as you have enough WSD and Travel Bank combined to pay for the entire booking:

Okay, well, FT image uploading seems to be broken, but just imagine a nicely pasted image of the screen during the payment flow.
tcook052, cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
The WestJet website also has guidance on how to do this online, as well as all of the other possible combinations, at https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/payment.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by aerobod
It's due to a limitation of the Sabre reservation system in handling only two forms of payment for IATA standard tickets, allowing either credit card and WSD or credit card and Travelbank payment.
Reviving this old thread.

Is it possible to pay with 3 forms of payment, over the phone: Travel Bank (TB) + WSD + credit card (CC)? I guess I had enough TB last time, so I paid TB and WSD online for my last trip. I don't remember why I didn't choose to use up all my TB last trip. My current TB balance is only $80. After paying max allowed amount of WSD, I still need to pay about $200.

I guess I'll look into a possibility of booking 2 one ways: TB+CC, and WSD+CC, if we can't pay with 3 forms of payment over the phone.

If 2 one ways don't work (I'm looking to buy an international ticket), is it possible to top up TB with CC, so I can burn it all?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by maverikbc
Reviving this old thread.

Is it possible to pay with 3 forms of payment, over the phone: Travel Bank (TB) + WSD + credit card (CC)? I guess I had enough TB last time, so I paid TB and WSD online for my last trip. I don't remember why I didn't choose to use up all my TB last trip. My current TB balance is only $80. After paying max allowed amount of WSD, I still need to pay about $200.

I guess I'll look into a possibility of booking 2 one ways: TB+CC, and WSD+CC, if we can't pay with 3 forms of payment over the phone.

If 2 one ways don't work (I'm looking to buy an international ticket), is it possible to top up TB with CC, so I can burn it all?
You should be able to do 3 forms of payment over the phone. I haven't worked for WS since 2018, but the core reservation system hasn't changed. The Call Centre agent should be able to manually consolidate the WSD and TB into a single form of payment and put a note on the booking of what they did, in case there are any changes in the future.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by aerobod
You should be able to do 3 forms of payment over the phone. I haven't worked for WS since 2018, but the core reservation system hasn't changed. The Call Centre agent should be able to manually consolidate the WSD and TB into a single form of payment and put a note on the booking of what they did, in case there are any changes in the future.
That's great to hear. Hopefully the wait time to reach agents have come down. AC Aeroplan has been notorious in that, too, but I was pleasantly surprised in September: they had an automated call back system, which I got a call back in half an hour.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:07 am

It's been a while since I've had to call in to redeem, but I recall in 2020 calling in and trying to combine 3 after having done so before at one point and the agent being adamant it wasn't possible.

Possibly a new agent or one not wanting to go through the process, but glad to know I wasn't wrong in my recollection.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
It's been a while since I've had to call in to redeem, but I recall in 2020 calling in and trying to combine 3 after having done so before at one point and the agent being adamant it wasn't possible.

Possibly a new agent or one not wanting to go through the process, but glad to know I wasn't wrong in my recollection.
I tried calling twice and both agents said it wasnt possible to use 3 payment methods. I did push with both of them but they said they could not combine westjet dollars and travel bank unless the whole fare is covered by the westjet dollars + travel bank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.