Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Not a transborder flight, but on a transborder itinerary. Cash refund possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not sure if these flights took place or not. Outbound was 3/19, Return was 3/22. I cancelled pre-emptively because what I was travelling for did not occur and as mentioned further down, I didn't want it to get stuck with nothing in the end.

Detroit -> Edmonton (booked and serviced by Delta)

Calgary -> Detroit (booked through Westjet. CGY - MTL serviced by Westjet, MTL - DET serviced by Delta)

Got my refunds for the outbound portion incredibly easily on Delta's website. For the return, I accepted TravelBank funds to cancel because I was worried I would eventually get nothing. I pushed for a cash refund then and after but haven't gotten it.

I see from another thread that WestJet is now giving some people cash refunds for transborder flights. My issue is...my actual WestJet flight was within Canada. I had a transborder connection of course. But I feel like the fact the entire thing was booked through them makes it a transborder flight.

I'm on hold now, but will I actually succeed in getting my money back? Any tips/keywords? I plan to take my planned trip again someday, but the border is not even open and I don't want to be restricted by these funds with an expiration date.

Last edited by jhaas2629; May 26, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Old May 26, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If no refund, push that to DOT.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:33 am

What’s a DOT ? The flight was WITHIN Canada ???
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
"I cancelled pre-emptively" means you will not get a cash refund.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wzzy22
"I cancelled pre-emptively" means you will not get a cash refund.
I understand the distinction, but the US/Canada border closed one day prior to this flight.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
If no refund, push that to DOT.
I went ahead a filed a complaint with DOT while I feebly try to get through to their customer service line.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the facts presented by OP, there is no valid DOT complaint.

That would only apply if the ticket was to or from the US AND the carrier cancelled (or substantially changed the timing of) the flight.

If OP cancelled, then the fare rules applicable to the ticket would apply.
wzzy22 and seawolf like this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
On the facts presented by OP, there is no valid DOT complaint.

That would only apply if the ticket was to or from the US AND the carrier cancelled (or substantially changed the timing of) the flight.

If OP cancelled, then the fare rules applicable to the ticket would apply.
I would let DOT to decide on that. But FWIW - there is no harm filing one.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I would let DOT to decide on that. But FWIW - there is no harm filing one.
In a court of law I'm not winning this case, and I don't even dispute that. But I mean, yes, I voluntarily canceled...in the midst of a rapidly devolving global pandemic, where the US/Canada border closure had been announced before I even entered Canada for the beginning of my trip. What was I supposed to do, fly to Canada and hope my return trip didn't get cancelled, leaving me stranded in another country?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Finally managed to get a same-day callback from WestJet customer service and had a very terse phone call with the agent. I don't really blame them given everything they are dealing with, just setting the scene.

They are taking the line that "at this time" they are only offering refunds for flights that they cancelled. Apparently this flight went on as normal. Which again, given the circumstances I'm not sure what WestJet expected me to do here. Nonessential travel border closure had been announced before I left for Canada. Why the hell would I still take my trip? Similar to what someone had mentioned in the main refund thread, I was told if I haven't gotten an email I haven't been tagged as refund-qualifying. And they "have timestamps on everything" because apparently all us travelers are trying to game the system on these coronavirus refunds. It was a weird flex.

What I didn't appreciate was the insinuation I should be grateful for getting TravelBank funds with no fees, as that's the real unprecedented situation and not the global pandemic.

Whatever, we'll see how the DOT complaint goes. And from there, maybe a chargeback, I've never flown WestJet before, and I may still in the future depending on my travels, but this is all leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. Hope the couple hundred bucks keeps you afloat WJ.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jhaas2629
I understand the distinction, but the US/Canada border closed one day prior to this flight.
The border closed at midnight March 20, so effectively closed to entry from the US to non-Canadians on March 21, so one day after your flight to Canada. Your March 19 flight would have been fine and you would always be permitted to re-enter the US as (I am presuming that, since your origin was in the US) you are a US citizen. You weren’t barred from entering on 3/19 and you say the flight was not canceled so you could still have taken your trip. I’m not sure what your basis for a chargeback would be.
wzzy22 and seawolf like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
The border closed at midnight March 20, so effectively closed to entry from the US to non-Canadians on March 21, so one day after your flight to Canada. Your March 19 flight would have been fine and you would always be permitted to re-enter the US as (I am presuming that, since your origin was in the US) you are a US citizen. You weren’t barred from entering on 3/19 and you say the flight was not canceled so you could still have taken your trip. I’m not sure what your basis for a chargeback would be.
This has never been about "did the flights occur" or "could I have taken these flights". It's about being reasonable towards the consumer during a global pandemic. Delta and Hotels.com quickly provided cash refunds, whether or not they were legally bound to do so, and I am grateful to both for that. Ultimately I would prefer not to give WestJet an interest-free loan for however long it takes for this trip to become viable again.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jhaas2629
This has never been about "did the flights occur" or "could I have taken these flights". It's about being reasonable towards the consumer during a global pandemic. Delta and Hotels.com quickly provided cash refunds, whether or not they were legally bound to do so, and I am grateful to both for that. Ultimately I would prefer not to give WestJet an interest-free loan for however long it takes for this trip to become viable again.
There’s no basis for chargeback or DoT complaint if passenger cancelled. Your case is even weaker as airline ultimately operated flight.

DoT is clear they only expect airline to provide refund on non-refundable fares if airline significantly changed/cancelled.

Delta providing a cash refund on a flight they didn’t cancel/scheduled changed is a fluke not policy.

Lesson here is let the airline cancel/schedule change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.