The end of WS 767's?

Old May 8, 20, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

The end of WS 767's?

I noted in the excellent Rewards Canada blog an indication that WS 767's may have ended their operation lives:

Rewards Canada: May 7 Update: Aeroplan buy miles sale craziness and have we seen the last of WestJet's 767s?

Last week WestJet donated 115 galley carts from their fleet of four Boeing 767 airplanes to Alberta Health Services and aren't asking for them back. This makes me think that WestJet is planning on not having the planes return to service once more travel resumes. With the airline now the proud owners of five Boeing 787 planes and what will be several years of recovery to reach to pre-Coronavirus travel levels - the 30+ year old 767s will most likely not be required by the airline.

I haven't flown lots on the WS 67's but enjoyed a NS trip to OGG and upgraded to Plus at time of OLCI and felt it was well worth it.

WS had quite a learning curve when it bough these planes but ultimately think much was learned as they grew to become more of an international airline.

Last edited by tcook052; May 8, 20 at 9:20 pm
Old May 8, 20, 9:48 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I noted in the excellent Rewards Canada blog an indication that WS 767's may have ended their operation lives:

Rewards Canada: May 7 Update: Aeroplan buy miles sale craziness and have we seen the last of WestJet's 767s?

Last week WestJet donated 115 galley carts from their fleet of four Boeing 767 airplanes to Alberta Health Services and aren't asking for them back. This makes me think that WestJet is planning on not having the planes return to service once more travel resumes. With the airline now the proud owners of five Boeing 787 planes and what will be several years of recovery to reach to pre-Coronavirus travel levels - the 30+ year old 767s will most likely not be required by the airline.

I haven't flown lots on the WS 67's but enjoyed a NS trip to OGG and upgraded to Plus at time of OLCI and felt it was well worth it.

WS had quite a learning curve when it bough these planes but ultimately think much was learned as they grew to become more of an international airline.
They are gone forever as is that old branding “plus” But you can buy a seat in their Premium cabin and Business cabin .
Old May 8, 20, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
They are gone forever as is that old branding “plus” But you can buy a seat in their Premium cabin and Business cabin .
Yes, thanks as I'm familiar with their new cabin monikers and new equipment but it was Plus when I flew the '67 it to OGG.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 8, 20, 10:26 pm

The 767s probably have the highest resale value since WestJet acquired them, for most likely life as freighters with Prime Air, with their demand for delivery services being as high as ever at the moment and 767-300s being the sweet spot for their fleet.

Without the COVID-19 pandemic, they probably would have sold them sometime next year anyway when the 787 deliveries reached 8 aircraft.
Old May 8, 20, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
The Westjet 763s have been parked and it is very well possible that they will not be returning to Westjet service (even though they are still scheduled for some flights this summer), but their age is a bit misstated: they are 25.5-28.5 years old.
Old May 9, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
In spite of their tiny overhead bins I have always enjoyed my travels on various 767s over the years. I'll miss them when they're gone.

Well, what I'll actually miss is having reasonable elbow room, reasonable pitch and the old seats that are still more comfy than the slimline jobs. But I digress :-)
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 9, 20, 5:50 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
I would actually pay money for one of those armchair seats that they had in the Plus section. I've got just the spot for it and I find them comfy as anything.
Old May 10, 20, 2:05 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I will miss the 767s, flying back from Hawaii a few years ago there wasn't two seats in Plus even nearby so I did the chivalrous thing and we sat together in Economy and part way through the flight I had this sudden realization that I wasn't uncomfortable. The same trip on a "refreshed" United 757-300 that appeared to have the same seats as the WestJet and United 737-800s was miserable.
Old May 11, 20, 11:46 am

I'm not familiar with galley carts but what will AHS be doing with 115 carts? Can they repurpose them for medical rooms? Seems like a highly specialized piece of equipment that wouldn't have much use elsewhere.
Old May 11, 20, 4:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
I'm not familiar with galley carts but what will AHS be doing with 115 carts? Can they repurpose them for medical rooms? Seems like a highly specialized piece of equipment that wouldn't have much use elsewhere.
There was a company a few years ago refurbishing them and selling them to average people to use in their home workshop for storing tools etc. There is a market.

If your in the UK you can buy them here... https://www.dynamicairlinecarts.com/

Unclear why a health authority would want them.
Old May 11, 20, 6:41 pm

We have carts called static safe carts that are almost indistinguishable from airline carts. They're so technicians don't have to manhandle giant static bags and other packaging in the field.

I would imagine AHS wants them to secure oft stolen protective gear.
tcook052 and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 29, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The 767s probably have the highest resale value since WestJet acquired them, for most likely life as freighters with Prime Air, with their demand for delivery services being as high as ever at the moment and 767-300s being the sweet spot for their fleet.
Given their age (3 of them nearly 29 years old, the other nearly 26), do they have enough life left for it to be worth spending the money on freighter conversions? Or have the hours/cycles they've accumulated during their airline service been low enough that there's enough flying left in them for someone to spend the money?

And is the 763 freighter market likely to stay as strong as it has been recently? Cargo demand is high at the moment with so little belly cargo space available, but as passenger flying returns, along with a potential economic slowdown potentially hurting the cyclical air freight market, isn't that likely to change fairly quickly? Plus a huge glut of recently retired 763s coming on the market...
Old May 29, 20, 5:01 pm

FedEx recently retired a DC-10 at the tender age of 48, it flew for United for 26 of those years.

Source: A friend who works for FedEx posted it on Facebook.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 29, 20, 6:07 pm

The average age of the 36 aircraft in the Amazon Prime Air 767-300 fleet is currently 26 years, with the oldest being 32 years old, that they only acquired 8 months ago. The WS 767s are prime for Prime!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 30, 20, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Do cargo planes generated more cycles than passenger planes?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: