Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet RBC Mastercard (First Checked Bag Free)

Westjet RBC Mastercard (First Checked Bag Free)

Old May 5, 20, 11:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Westjet RBC Mastercard (First Checked Bag Free)

I am new to the RBC Mastercard, and I am looking for clarification as to how the free 1st bag (and up to 8 guests) works in real life. Some questions as follows:

1. The WestJet website doesn't seem to acknowledge it when booking a flight. Can someone confirm that?
2. What fare would you want to book (Basic, Econo, EconoFlex) in order to use this benefit? EconoFlex already includes a bag, so I would assume you wouldn't want to choose that one. Would you book Econo, pay to pick your seats, and not pay for a bag?
3. Does this benefit get recognized when you try and check in online, like 24 hours before? And if not, would you just say you don't have any bags when you check in?
4. If you have to do this when you get to the terminal, on one of the machines, what happens? How do you communicate that you want to use this free benefit and get the free checked bag for my group (wife and two sons). Is there a "Do you have the RBC Mastercard button" you have to push?
5. Do you have to use the credit card when making the reservation for it to work?
6. What if you pay for the flight using westjet dollars or credits? Will is still work?

Thanks for advance for your help. I haven't been able to find any information online about the actual steps you need in order to use it.
maxjasper likes this.
mjjhorto is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 11:56 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 435
Originally Posted by mjjhorto View Post
I am new to the RBC Mastercard, and I am looking for clarification as to how the free 1st bag (and up to 8 guests) works in real life. Some questions as follows:

1. The WestJet website doesn't seem to acknowledge it when booking a flight. Can someone confirm that?
2. What fare would you want to book (Basic, Econo, EconoFlex) in order to use this benefit? EconoFlex already includes a bag, so I would assume you wouldn't want to choose that one. Would you book Econo, pay to pick your seats, and not pay for a bag?
3. Does this benefit get recognized when you try and check in online, like 24 hours before? And if not, would you just say you don't have any bags when you check in?
4. If you have to do this when you get to the terminal, on one of the machines, what happens? How do you communicate that you want to use this free benefit and get the free checked bag for my group (wife and two sons). Is there a "Do you have the RBC Mastercard button" you have to push?
5. Do you have to use the credit card when making the reservation for it to work?
6. What if you pay for the flight using westjet dollars or credits? Will is still work?

Thanks for advance for your help. I haven't been able to find any information online about the actual steps you need in order to use it.
1. The website doesn't acknowledge free bag when booking a flight - your ticket will list baggage fees applicable, but say that it may not apply based on status or credit card etc.
2. No real benefit if booking a fare class that includes bags, but choice of fare class may be due to other reasons
3. When you check in online and select the number of bags, there should be no charge indicated for 1 bag
4. Same as when checking in online - no fee indicated when you say you are checking one bag - no other steps required
5. Don't have to use the credit card to make the reservation - having the credit card puts a notation on your Westjet rewards account that entitles you to the benefit regardless of how your ticket is paid for.
6. Yes - see response to #5

Only caveat is that while all other passengers (up to 8 guests) on your reservation get one free bag each, if you book tickets for others but you aren't flying with them, the benefit does not apply. For that reason, my spouse and I both got our own cards in case one of us flies separately with our kids.
Jono is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 1:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ontario
Programs: Westjet Rewards
Posts: 152
First of all, make sure you create a WS account. From there you can see items like your travel bank and the yearly companion voucher.
Last time I flew the counter person knew that everyone in my party got their checked bag free as I paid for it on my RBC WS visa.

As well, I forget to mention that you would be eligible for members exclusive deals in which you can pay with WS dollars and cash.

Welcome aboard.
armeee is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 6:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by armeee View Post
First of all, make sure you create a WS account. From there you can see items like your travel bank and the yearly companion voucher.
Last time I flew the counter person knew that everyone in my party got their checked bag free as I paid for it on my RBC WS visa.

As well, I forget to mention that you would be eligible for members exclusive deals in which you can pay with WS dollars and cash.

Welcome aboard.

Paying with the credit card does not give you the free bag it's attached to your Westjet rewards number. If the others were on the same file as you then they would get the benefit
if not then you found someone extremely generous or they didn't understand the rules.
Ace Cdn is offline  
Old May 17, 20, 3:32 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: YQR
Programs: no status
Posts: 927
Will be interesting to see if the free bags remain attached to flights that were cancelled and put in the travel bank.
Merlin666 is offline  
Old May 17, 20, 4:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
Will be interesting to see if the free bags remain attached to flights that were cancelled and put in the travel bank.
It doesn't matter how the ticket is booked, all that matters is that you hold the credit card at the time of check-in and you have your WestJet Member ID on the booking at check-in.
zappy312 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: