Wiki Posts
Search

Refund of companion voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Refund of companion voucher?

I have international flights in May that I am waiting for WJ to cancel - when they do (I am assuming it is when, not if), will they refund / reissue the companion voucher used to purchase them? If they do, will that voucher be valid at the 'old' rates (which the original voucher was valid for) or the 'new' rates (post April 1 enhancements).
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by emma69
I have international flights in May that I am waiting for WJ to cancel - when they do (I am assuming it is when, not if), will they refund / reissue the companion voucher used to purchase them? If they do, will that voucher be valid at the 'old' rates (which the original voucher was valid for) or the 'new' rates (post April 1 enhancements).
They are returning the voucher as "unused" essentially with the same expiration date so consider it as per the terms and conditions of the original voucher.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starchoice
They are returning the voucher as "unused" essentially with the same expiration date so consider it as per the terms and conditions of the original voucher.
Thank you!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:41 pm

We had a companion voucher that expired in March but WJ extended the validity until end of June (we had a booked a flight with it which we cancelled).
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by kalpol
We had a companion voucher that expired in March but WJ extended the validity until end of June (we had a booked a flight with it which we cancelled).
Same.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:19 pm

Did you have to call them to get the voucher refunded and extended, or was it possible to do this online?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Argonith
Did you have to call them to get the voucher refunded and extended, or was it possible to do this online?
I called them. Wanted to make sure I got the full credit for what I'd payed.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by Argonith
They are extending them automatically within 2 weeks of your cancellation. You only need to call if you want to make a booking right now and your voucher has expired.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Any way to know what the conditions were at the time? I have a booking coming up that I'm going to cancel, for which I used a voucher, but I don't remember whether this was the MasterCard one, or some sort of threshold thing. The e-mail confirmation doesn't say, and my list of vouchers online no longer shows it.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
You will know by looking at the E ticket receipt for the companion. If there is a base fare, then it was the credit card voucher. If the base fare for the companion was zero, it was from spend. If the booking was made prior to April 1, then it will be the old rates. I am guessing you made the booking before that, otherwise you would remember.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wzzy22
You will know by looking at the E ticket receipt for the companion. If there is a base fare, then it was the credit card voucher. If the base fare for the companion was zero, it was from spend. If the booking was made prior to April 1, then it will be the old rates. I am guessing you made the booking before that, otherwise you would remember.
Nice, thanks!

Base fare was zero, so it looks like it was a spend-related voucher.

I booked it back in January. I wasn't sure whether I used last year's credit card voucher just before it expired or one from spend.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:41 am

This is good news. Can someone give me more details on how long the extension is if it's a voucher that has since expired? The example above was booking by end of June. Not sure I'll be able to make that extension.

I used two companion vouchers (one of mine, one was my husband's) back in Aug to book a June family trip YHZ-CDG. They would have expired in mid-March. I haven't cancelled our tickets yet, in part because I didn't know what would happen to the vouchers. Would love to use them for a domestic trip but not sure when we'll be able to book that. And I'll happily take the travel bank credit rather than worrying about a refund if I have some reasonable use in the next year. (Sadly can't imagine we'll be able to go to Europe before July 2021, as my daughter starts her senior year of high school in Sept and NS has a ridiculously late school year.)
Old May 11, 2020, 6:13 pm

I just got a companion fare voucher returned to my account - originally would have expired Nov 2019 - extended to Jan 2021. This was for flight cancelled on March 30, so took 6 weeks to be re-issued.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:27 am

All companion vouchers now extended per the mass e-mail as follows:

Hello {Frequentlander},

We hope that this message finds you and your loved ones well and in good health. To give you more time to plan future travel, and to align with the flexibility of our updated change and cancel policy:

· We have automatically extended the validity period of all your available companion vouchers to January 31, 2021. This includes those that were previously extended to June 2020.

· Companion vouchers that were redeemed for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 31, 2021, where travel is cancelled, will be reinstated to your account and extended to January 31, 2021 (unless the original expiry date is later). Extensions will be processed within 14 days of cancellation.

You can view your available vouchers at westjet.com/account. If you have more than one voucher, be sure to choose the first to expire when you book.

You’ll find all the latest information regarding changes to travel at westjet.com/coronavirus. We are looking forward to the days when we can welcome you back on board. Thank you again for your continued support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.