Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by stoddaj1
Question for those far more experienced than I...

We had a ticket booked from Halifax to West Palm Beach, Florida for March 13-22, which we canceled the week before. I contacted Westjet and was told that because we cancelled the flight, we were not entitled to a refund even though the other parameters were met.This confuses me because the dates on the chart someone previously posted began on March 1 when flights were not yet cancelled by the airlines. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks
Yes, the WS rules clearly stated those who voluntarily cancelled their flights are ineligible for a refund and only those who flights had been cancelled from their airline's end of things are eligible. It seems a technicality but such are things lately that lines get drawn in places that benefit far from everyone.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes, the WS rules clearly stated those who voluntarily cancelled their flights are ineligible for a refund and only those who flights had been cancelled from their airline's end of things are eligible. It seems a technicality but such are things lately that lines get drawn in places that benefit far from everyone.
Thanks for your response!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by stoddaj1
Question for those far more experienced than I...

We had a ticket booked from Halifax to West Palm Beach, Florida for March 13-22, which we canceled the week before. I contacted Westjet and was told that because we cancelled the flight, we were not entitled to a refund even though the other parameters were met.This confuses me because the dates on the chart someone previously posted began on March 1 when flights were not yet cancelled by the airlines. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks
Similar deal for me, same response. And I get it, all airlines are in trouble and certainly WestJet doesn't have the cash to refund everyone. I'm happy to have the TravelBank funds although god knows when it will even be feasible or legally possible for a US leisure traveler to enter Canada gain. Hence why I continue to poke and prod for a cash refund.
stoddaj1 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: Westjet Rewards, Platinum
I have two WestJet flights that have been affected by the pandemic. I have not received refunds in original form for either of these flights. Just the other day I received a promo email from WestJet (Oh Canada Sale). I was laughing: Why would I book a flight with them, have the flight cancelled due to a second or third wave of the virus, and yet again not have my money returned?
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Just received the following e-mail from WS:

"Updated refund information.
As of June 25, 2020 we are processing refunds to original form of payment for guests holding United Kingdom itineraries for travel commencing April 13th to 30th, 2020 and your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19.
You have already been provided a full travel credit to Travel Bank, which can be redeemed at any time in the next 24 months.
If you would prefer a refund to your original form of payment, please call us at 1-888-937-8538  and have the booking confirmation number below on hand to discuss your refund options.  
Eligible booking confirmation number: XXXXX
If you have another flight outside of this date range, you may be contacted via email at a later date.
If you booked through a Travel Agent (online or directly), Corporate Travel arranger, or another airline, please contact them directly to discuss refund options.

The situation around COVID-19 has and continues to be fluid and we thank you for your support and patience as we navigate through these unprecedented times."
So, I'll be calling in....
Update:

The system is EXTREMELY convoluted, and it can only be that way by design. No sane person would design anything to work so inefficiently. Anyway....

I called in and was told there was a multi hour wait but I could book a call back - which I did.
  • Very difficult and had to HUCA a couple of times but eventually got a callback booked for today.
  • Note all times on the booking system are MOUNTAIN time, not your local time so bear that in mind.
  • Call back happened as planned and I spent a couple of minutes in hold before being connected to an agent.
  • .....Who then told me that I could have just called the Platinum line
So if you are a Plat, just call the dedicated Platinum number....not the number on the refund e-mail.

It took about 15 minutes but I got my WS$ refunded to my WS account and my cash refunded to the credit card (or at least I was told it will be there in 3 to 5 days).

Over and out.

FL
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Update:

The system is EXTREMELY convoluted, and it can only be that way by design. No sane person would design anything to work so inefficiently. Anyway....

I called in and was told there was a multi hour wait but I could book a call back - which I did.
  • Very difficult and had to HUCA a couple of times but eventually got a callback booked for today.
  • Note all times on the booking system are MOUNTAIN time, not your local time so bear that in mind.
  • Call back happened as planned and I spent a couple of minutes in hold before being connected to an agent.
  • .....Who then told me that I could have just called the Platinum line
So if you are a Plat, just call the dedicated Platinum number....not the number on the refund e-mail.

It took about 15 minutes but I got my WS$ refunded to my WS account and my cash refunded to the credit card (or at least I was told it will be there in 3 to 5 days).

Over and out.

FL
I don't see anything terribly convoluted other than a busy system that meant overloaded call-back system.

That "refund" number is just the regular WestJet general reservation/customer service number. The platinum number just gives some queue-jumping capability - not sure why you wouldn't have tried it if you knew you were platinum.

I'm not sure why people jump to the conspiracy theory conclusion when complex (and old tech) systems are adapted to do things they weren't ever designed to do. Yes, they will be inefficient.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by robsaw
I don't see anything terribly convoluted other than a busy system that meant overloaded call-back system.

That "refund" number is just the regular WestJet general reservation/customer service number. The platinum number just gives some queue-jumping capability - not sure why you wouldn't have tried it if you knew you were platinum.

I'm not sure why people jump to the conspiracy theory conclusion when complex (and old tech) systems are adapted to do things they weren't ever designed to do. Yes, they will be inefficient.
I actually left a number of bullet points out of that description. It was reeeely convoluted. Example...... try to book a call back time :
  • Try once "time not available"
  • Try again "time not available"
  • Try again "You have exceeded the maximum number of tries...good bye"
  • HUCA....multiple times until you guess at the right slot.
But perseverance paid off and they did call back when they sad they would, and I did get my refund so I suppose all's well that ends well.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:30 pm

July 16th Refunds

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has received Westjet's refund email past July 16th? I've booked a flight to the UK for early May but has not received any emails that offer refund from them.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K (1st timer!)
Help clarify this for me?

OK, so back in Jan 6 I booked two econony tickets from YYZ to YYT for July 30 - Aug 6. Fast forward several months and one pandemic later and I have received several itinerary change notices. The first was a few weeks back saying we've been bumped to the later direct outbound flight to YYT. No biggie, I accept the changes. The next one is a change on my return flight a couple weeks back saying I now have to connect in Halifax. Bummer but I can deal, I click accept.

Today I get an update saying my return now includes a 13 hour overnight layover in Halifax. OK, that's just not cool WestJet. Needless to say I didn't click accept as I now expect a refund for my cancelled flight. I call and stay on hold for 95 minutes but never get a live agent. I request a callback online and interestingly get a call back in about 45 minutes.The not particularly friendly agent informs me that my ONLY option is a travel bank credit. No refunds to credit cards under any circumstances. How is this so? Yes, I've read everywhere that this is the norm for cancellations but my assumption had been that was the policy for when passengers cancelled, not when the airline cancels a flight you were supposed to be on and they're no longer offering..

So in the last itinerary change email I received there is this paragraph that is pretty vague:

"If you need to cancel the new itinerary and request a refund, we are currently refunding the full value of your flight to WestJet travel bank, which is valid for 24 months from date of issue. If you prefer a refund to original form of payment, we will provide information at a later date."

This leaves me with so many questions!

- Anyone know when this later date is supposed to be?
- Do I just sit here and wait for the magic email from WestJet?
- Do I continue to call until I get someone that can help me?
- Do I use my cancellation insurance since the ticket was purchased well before COVID-19 messed up North American and European air travel?
- Should I start a charge-back on my credit card since WestJet is not honoring my original purchased fare or a reasonal alternative flight?
- If I do get desperate and accept the travel credit, will they also credit my seat purchases? Again, I didn't cancel, they did, so I should get that credit too right???

Anyone that can answer any / all of these would be a saint in my eyes.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by lcfowler
OK, so back in Jan 6 I booked two econony tickets from YYZ to YYT for July 30 - Aug 6. Fast forward several months and one pandemic later and I have received several itinerary change notices. The first was a few weeks back saying we've been bumped to the later direct outbound flight to YYT. No biggie, I accept the changes. The next one is a change on my return flight a couple weeks back saying I now have to connect in Halifax. Bummer but I can deal, I click accept.

Today I get an update saying my return now includes a 13 hour overnight layover in Halifax. OK, that's just not cool WestJet. Needless to say I didn't click accept as I now expect a refund for my cancelled flight. I call and stay on hold for 95 minutes but never get a live agent. I request a callback online and interestingly get a call back in about 45 minutes.The not particularly friendly agent informs me that my ONLY option is a travel bank credit. No refunds to credit cards under any circumstances. How is this so? Yes, I've read everywhere that this is the norm for cancellations but my assumption had been that was the policy for when passengers cancelled, not when the airline cancels a flight you were supposed to be on and they're no longer offering..

So in the last itinerary change email I received there is this paragraph that is pretty vague:

"If you need to cancel the new itinerary and request a refund, we are currently refunding the full value of your flight to WestJet travel bank, which is valid for 24 months from date of issue. If you prefer a refund to original form of payment, we will provide information at a later date."

This leaves me with so many questions!

- Anyone know when this later date is supposed to be?
- Do I just sit here and wait for the magic email from WestJet?
- Do I continue to call until I get someone that can help me?
- Do I use my cancellation insurance since the ticket was purchased well before COVID-19 messed up North American and European air travel?
- Should I start a charge-back on my credit card since WestJet is not honoring my original purchased fare or a reasonal alternative flight?
- If I do get desperate and accept the travel credit, will they also credit my seat purchases? Again, I didn't cancel, they did, so I should get that credit too right???

Anyone that can answer any / all of these would be a saint in my eyes.
I was a passenger-initiated cancellation and my fare went to TravelBank but they did refund seat selection costs to my CC. As for the continued stinginess with refunds...I get the impression WestJet is holding onto its butt and doesn't have the cash like a Delta does. That's largely common sense, but frustrating nonetheless for the customer.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K (1st timer!)
Originally Posted by jhaas2629
I was a passenger-initiated cancellation and my fare went to TravelBank but they did refund seat selection costs to my CC. As for the continued stinginess with refunds...I get the impression WestJet is holding onto its butt and doesn't have the cash like a Delta does. That's largely common sense, but frustrating nonetheless for the customer.
Well it's good to know that at least I'd get credit for the full amount I have spent.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by kobiniya
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has received Westjet's refund email past July 16th? I've booked a flight to the UK for early May but has not received any emails that offer refund from them.
UK refunds are processing for travel dates up to June 4. US refunds are processing for travel dates up to April 12.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:14 am

Yeah, I booked a flight for May 11 to UK, return on May 23rd, so it should be considered in the UK refunds. Perhaps I'll give it a couple more days and hopefully a refund email from Westjet will arrive then.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by kobiniya
Yeah, I booked a flight for May 11 to UK, return on May 23rd, so it should be considered in the UK refunds. Perhaps I'll give it a couple more days and hopefully a refund email from Westjet will arrive then.
you don't need to wait for the email for UK flights. just call them
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
you don't need to wait for the email for UK flights. just call them
Quick update, I gave them a call on Thursday and they demanded the email. They even check my email address to make sure that I have received them, so.. getting the email confirmation is still relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.