Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by eyeball1
I'm surprised they processed the refund without you having received the e-mail. I had a cancelled transborder flight in March 2020. Despite calling on two occasions, both agents refused to process the refund until I receive the email in question. Even after checking and telling me I should qualify for a refund.
Just call again and say that you did receive the email. Perhaps it was lost in the junk mail folder
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eyeball1
I'm surprised they processed the refund without you having received the e-mail. I had a cancelled transborder flight in March 2020. Despite calling on two occasions, both agents refused to process the refund until I receive the email in question. Even after checking and telling me I should qualify for a refund.
Might have been a combination of a helpful agent at Westjet and my habit of using a firm, polite tone and wording things as a statement as opposed to a question.
Needless to say, very happy it is all done.

Westjet will likely see money from me in September for a flight YLW-LGW-YLW if the COVID stars align.Keen to try out their new business class.
YYCCL3 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
It appears Westjet is giving refunds for tickets to the US. Has anyone have experience or heard about Swoop giving refunds for cancelled US flights?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
It appears Westjet is giving refunds for tickets to the US. Has anyone have experience or heard about Swoop giving refunds for cancelled US flights?
I filed a DOT complaint for a May flight to LAS and a June flight to AZA. Both filed on the same day, I received an email from Swoop for the LAS flight that they are processing a refund to original form of payment. Haven't heard anything back about my June AZA flight yet....

At the request of the Department of Transportation, we have reviewed your recent Swoop experience. We appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

In response to US DOT case number PC202005XXXX, which Swoop received on 5/25/2020, we have an important update regarding your transborder flight cancellation. Swoop has determined your booking is entitled to a refund to original form of payment.

Your refund of XXX.XX has been processed to the original form of payment, please allow three to five business days for the refund to be reflected on your credit card statement.

Kind regards,
Crystal Traveller Support Swoop Inc. | FlySwoop.com
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by rowdypfeifer
I filed a DOT complaint for a May flight to LAS and a June flight to AZA. Both filed on the same day, I received an email from Swoop for the LAS flight that they are processing a refund to original form of payment. Haven't heard anything back about my June AZA flight yet....

At the request of the Department of Transportation, we have reviewed your recent Swoop experience. We appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

In response to US DOT case number PC202005XXXX, which Swoop received on 5/25/2020, we have an important update regarding your transborder flight cancellation. Swoop has determined your booking is entitled to a refund to original form of payment.

Your refund of XXX.XX has been processed to the original form of payment, please allow three to five business days for the refund to be reflected on your credit card statement.

Kind regards,
Crystal Traveller Support Swoop Inc. | FlySwoop.com
Great update rowpfeifer, thank you for sharing, that is great news. We have a flight to AZA as well which was cancelled. We asked Swoop for a refund and was going to do chargeback if that didn't work. DOT complaint is another way to go.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Great update rowpfeifer, thank you for sharing, that is great news. We have a flight to AZA as well which was cancelled. We asked Swoop for a refund and was going to do chargeback if that didn't work. DOT complaint is another way to go.
I did a chargeback with AMEX, alongside the DOT complaint. AMEX temporarily credited both charges back. One of them got charged again to my credit card about 10 days ago (meaning Swoop challenged it and AMEX ruled in their favour). Luckily I just received my 2nd response from the DOT and Swoop has now agreed to provide a refund. So while the AMEX chargeback will give you temporary relief, the DOT complaint for transborder Swoop flights is definitely the way to go.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:55 pm

I cancelled flights for family members I had booked using RBC Avion points on WestJet flights to the US. The values have been credited to WestJet travel banks (cancellation through RBC Rewards). I have the flyer's names and ticket numbers, but none of them were WestJet Rewards members. Does anyone know how I can access these? Ideally I would transfer it all into my own travel bank, since I'm a member and can easily rebook for them in the future.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by yxuhub
I cancelled flights for family members I had booked using RBC Avion points on WestJet flights to the US. The values have been credited to WestJet travel banks (cancellation through RBC Rewards). I have the flyer's names and ticket numbers, but none of them were WestJet Rewards members. Does anyone know how I can access these? Ideally I would transfer it all into my own travel bank, since I'm a member and can easily rebook for them in the future.
I purchased a flight ticket for a friend using my Westjet credit card while I was logged in my own Westjet account. After I cancelled the ticket online recently, the travel bank credit was deposited into my own Westjet account.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:45 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Had my first conversation with WS about a refund the other day - was supposed to be in YLW for a wedding last weekend. The woman I spoke to was very pleasant and sympathetic, and even seemed to acknowledge that the tariff did probably entitle me to a refund, yet was firm that they were not allowed to process any refunds for domestic flight cancellations.

But what really irked me is that, multiple times, she cited the CTA as the reason for WS not providing refunds. Worse than that, it wasn't even done honestly, e.g. "the CTA has said we don't have to provide refunds", it was done in a very weaselly fashion: "the CTA hasn't told us what we're doing on refunds" and "we're waiting on the CTA", implying that WS would like to refund customers but is somehow hostage to the whims of the CTA.

Nothing the CTA has said or done prevents WS (or any other airline) from offering a refund.

What a disgrace.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I had exactly the same experience with Garneau. I e-mailed his parliamentary address and got the auto response that told me that for TC issues I should e-mail the other address - which I did. No response after three weeks. I'm not surprised, it's more or less what I expected.

I realize that we all have to do our little bit to get Mr. Garneau his seat on the AC board of directors one day.
Update for the none of you keeping track:

Zero response from Mr. Garneau or any of his minions after more than 5 weeks.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: skyteam
Update for the none of you keeping track:

Zero response from Mr. Garneau or any of his minions after more than 5 weeks.
There are so many implications from both sides of the equation. Parliamentarians from the three main opposition parties demanded to know why Canadians who paid for a service that was never delivered have yet to get their money back.

Conservative health critic Matt Jeneroux said the lack of refunds was “unfathomable,” while Bloc Quebecois member Luc Theriault highlighted the $2.61 billion in advance ticket sales Air Canada reported in its quarterly results last month.

“It’s not your money — there’s been no transaction. Where are the funds being kept? Where are the funds?” Theriault asked a company executive.

And on the other hand

The existing tariff never contemplated an event of this kind,” he added. “Obviously the immediate forward picture does not look particularly great…so to suddenly require paying the refunds all at once, which would be in the billions of dollars, could obviously have significant economic consequences for airlines.”

Airline revenue streams have shrunk to five per cent of pre-pandemic levels, with fleets parked and border shutdowns ongoing even as domestic travel demand gradually starts to pick up.

https://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-c...und-questions/

It is not an easy answer, and quite a dilemma.
aerobod likes this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Jun 25, 2020 at 1:52 am
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
There are so many implications from both sides of the equation. Parliamentarians from the three main opposition parties demanded to know why Canadians who paid for a service that was never delivered have yet to get their money back.

Conservative health critic Matt Jeneroux said the lack of refunds was “unfathomable,” while Bloc Quebecois member Luc Theriault highlighted the $2.61 billion in advance ticket sales Air Canada reported in its quarterly results last month.

“It’s not your money — there’s been no transaction. Where are the funds being kept? Where are the funds?” Theriault asked a company executive.

And on the other hand

The existing tariff never contemplated an event of this kind,” he added. “Obviously the immediate forward picture does not look particularly great…so to suddenly require paying the refunds all at once, which would be in the billions of dollars, could obviously have significant economic consequences for airlines.”

Airline revenue streams have shrunk to five per cent of pre-pandemic levels, with fleets parked and border shutdowns ongoing even as domestic travel demand gradually starts to pick up.

https://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-c...und-questions/

It is not an easy answer, and quite a dilemma.
Yes, all of the above is 100% true.

What's also 100% true is I didn't receive a reply from Garneas' office. That was my point.
I would be good to have someone in government clearly state what their position on passenger rights is. If we don't have any in this case, then tell us and we can move on. If we do, then tell us how they will be enforced.

Of course. No-one is going to come out and say one way or the other.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:08 pm

Just received the following e-mail from WS:

"Updated refund information.
As of June 25, 2020 we are processing refunds to original form of payment for guests holding United Kingdom itineraries for travel commencing April 13th to 30th, 2020 and your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19.
You have already been provided a full travel credit to Travel Bank, which can be redeemed at any time in the next 24 months.
If you would prefer a refund to your original form of payment, please call us at 1-888-937-8538  and have the booking confirmation number below on hand to discuss your refund options.  
Eligible booking confirmation number: XXXXX
If you have another flight outside of this date range, you may be contacted via email at a later date.
If you booked through a Travel Agent (online or directly), Corporate Travel arranger, or another airline, please contact them directly to discuss refund options.

The situation around COVID-19 has and continues to be fluid and we thank you for your support and patience as we navigate through these unprecedented times."
So, I'll be calling in....
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:20 pm

Just received the following e-mail from WS:

"Updated refund information.
As of June 25, 2020 we are processing refunds to original form of payment for guests holding United Kingdom itineraries for travel commencing April 13th to 30th, 2020 and your flight was cancelled due to COVID-19.
You have already been provided a full travel credit to Travel Bank, which can be redeemed at any time in the next 24 months.
If you would prefer a refund to your original form of payment, please call us at 1-888-937-8538  and have the booking confirmation number below on hand to discuss your refund options.  
Eligible booking confirmation number: XXXXX
If you have another flight outside of this date range, you may be contacted via email at a later date.
If you booked through a Travel Agent (online or directly), Corporate Travel arranger, or another airline, please contact them directly to discuss refund options.

The situation around COVID-19 has and continues to be fluid and we thank you for your support and patience as we navigate through these unprecedented times."
So, I'll be calling in....
Westjet loosened its UK refund policy. You can now request refunds any time

Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:46 am

Question for those far more experienced than I...

We had a ticket booked from Halifax to West Palm Beach, Florida for March 13-22, which we canceled the week before. I contacted Westjet and was told that because we cancelled the flight, we were not entitled to a refund even though the other parameters were met.This confuses me because the dates on the chart someone previously posted began on March 1 when flights were not yet cancelled by the airlines. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.