Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Revised August schedule has now been released. MBJ, LGW and CDG are planned to resume in August. US flights were reduced due to weak loads. Here is the planned schedule until September 4:

YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYC-ATL 4x weekly
YYC-LAS 2x weekly
YYC-LGW 3x weekly (From August 20)
YYC-CDG 2x weekly (From August 20)
YVR-LAX 3x weekly
YYZ-LGA 5x weekly
YYZ-MCO 1x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
I am a Cdn living in ATL. Wondering what is fueling the demand for 4x weekly YYC>ATL flights. Most southbound passengers are probably connecting in ATL but any CDN travelling would have to quarantine for 14 days after returning to Canada. And any American can’t fly to Canada (although any CDN can fly to USA).

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 24, 2020 at 4:59 am
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:52 pm

Americans can fly to Canada.
From Timatic:
Published 10.06.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Canada.
- This does not apply to nationals of Canada.
- This does not apply to passengers arriving from the USA. They must travel for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Americans can fly to Canada.
From Timatic:
Published 10.06.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Canada.
- This does not apply to nationals of Canada.
- This does not apply to passengers arriving from the USA. They must travel for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose.
Most Americans will be turned away unless they are essential or an immediate relative of a CDN and then must quarantine for 14 days. Even a son was turned away from visiting his dying mother as he was older than a child.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I am a Cdn living in ATL. Wondering what is fueling the demand for 4x weekly YYC>ATL flights. Most southbound passengers are probably connecting in ATL but any CDN travelling would have to quarantine for 14 days after returning to Canada. And any American can’t fly to Canada (although any CDN can fly to USA).
ATL is a big Delta hub, and DL/WS interline a lot. My guess is Canadians and others eligible for Canada-entry returning from the East side of USA as well as int’l connections (e.g. S. America). Maybe enough air cargo too.

And YYC may not be their ultimate origin/destination. Gotta take the routing you can get these days.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by tecate55
And YYC may not be their ultimate origin/destination. Gotta take the routing you can get these days.
Kind of the purpose of a hub is it not? YYC-ATL was never about O&D but always about routing traffic to DL or routing traffic out of ATL to Canadian airports via YYC (WestJet's largest hub).
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Kind of the purpose of a hub is it not? YYC-ATL was never about O&D but always about routing traffic to DL or routing traffic out of ATL to Canadian airports via YYC (WestJet's largest hub).
Especially now that non-US int'l traffic has been cancelled except to/from YYC,YVR, YYZ and YUL. That was one big olive branch from CBSA to airlines.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Most Americans will be turned away unless they are essential or an immediate relative of a CDN and then must quarantine for 14 days. Even a son was turned away from visiting his dying mother as he was older than a child.
The distinction is people traveling on business. The definition of essential is quite broad. Business travel in any one of those fields would qualify as essential travel. Any things associated with the food supply chain, the energy supply chain (including oil), transportation networks etc.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:45 pm

Additional update as of July 26. Responding to poor demand, they will only operate the following Transborder routes YYC-LAX & ATL 3x weekly each in August.

YYZ-MCO has already been cancelled
YYZ-LGA Ends August 9
YVR-LAX Ends August 7
YYC-LAS Ends August 2

All international planned flights to CUN, MBJ, LGW and CDG remain unchanged. (Added note: YYC-CDG has been increased to daily in S21).

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Jul 26, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Nexus
I have yet to cancel some flights I had booked ages ago. YLW-PMI via YYC and LGW mid September, returning opposite track beginning of October. Anyone have experience transiting thru LGW (specifically Westjet to Easyjet) ?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Monashee
I have yet to cancel some flights I had booked ages ago. YLW-PMI via YYC and LGW mid September, returning opposite track beginning of October. Anyone have experience transiting thru LGW (specifically Westjet to Easyjet) ?
The airport has a weird connection service that avoids most of the stand lines, still have to collect bags. I thought at one point it offered some time or guaranteed re-accommodation service if the connection missed but I don't see it mentioned just now so who knows. You may have to book using the system. I have never used it.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-th...twickconnects/

Last edited by Fiordland; Aug 17, 2020 at 8:14 pm
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:07 am

My apologizes for the new thread.

International/Tranborder Schedule Until October 4:
YYC-LGW 3x weekly
YYC-CDG 2x weekly
YYC-ATL 3x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
YYZ-KIN 1x weekly from September 5

We should know next month if CDG is getting pushed to year-round. It would be odd for them to resume the route late in the summer for only 2 months. I believe it was planned to go year-round pre-COVID. All summer seasonal routes (except for YVR-LGW) were also completely removed for the rest of the year. I'm glad to see they are pushing ahead with resuming Europe ops this week. Looks like YHZ-MAN is a permanent cut as it isn't loaded for next summer either, while YYC-FCO is.

I'm not expecting any real additional adds to the US for a bit. Maybe bring back YYZ-LGA? Popular winter destinations like PSP, PHX, MCO, FLL and Hawaii may resume closer to Christmas but I can't be certain enough people will be willingly to travel by then. I can see limited YYC-Mexico (CUN/PVR & maybe SJD). All Caribbean flying will probably be done from YYZ.
aerobod and Symmetre like this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Thanks for that :-)
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm not expecting any real additional adds to the US for a bit.
I'm not either. But I wish they would just make the cuts through the end of the year and be done with it. Most of these flights aren't coming back as long as the quarantine is in effect and the fourteen day quarantine isn't going away any time soon.

I have flights booked in October that obviously aren't going to be operated but I can't proactively rebook them just because I am skeptical.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
I'm not either. But I wish they would just make the cuts through the end of the year and be done with it. Most of these flights aren't coming back as long as the quarantine is in effect and the fourteen day quarantine isn't going away any time soon.

I have flights booked in October that obviously aren't going to be operated but I can't proactively rebook them just because I am skeptical.
I was hoping as time went on the airline's would move from updating their schedules monthly to doing a few at a time to try and regain customer confidence. They have to know that continuously updating their schedule that late won't encourage people to travel. Who is going to book a flight just to have it cancelled and get a gift card from the airline for future use?

But it's been difficult for them to accurately predict demand / government restrictions given how quick things are changing. I believe WS had planned to add more US stations this fall back, but after getting very weak load factors they backed off. My predictions are LAX & ATL and maybe LGA will be the only destinations they serve for the time being, feeding onward connections to DL.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: no status
We should know next month if CDG is getting pushed to year-round. It would be odd for them to resume the route late in the summer for only 2 months. I believe it was planned to go year-round pre-COVID. All summer seasonal routes (except for YVR-LGW) were also completely removed for the rest of the year. I'm glad to see they are pushing ahead with resuming Europe ops this week. Looks like YHZ-MAN is a permanent cut as it isn't loaded for next summer either, while YYC-FCO is.
I had my CDG flight scheduled in May canceled and have re-booked for October. I don't expect to travel as quarantine and other restriction may get worse, and the trip is to look after my 85 year-old mother in Germany who I certainly don't want to expose to additional risks. I am surprised that a year-round CGD service might be considered, and though I don't think it's realistic would welcome the opportunity to re-book for spring if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.