Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Old Apr 7, 20, 8:22 pm

The deal for Porter through the BDC is not remotely comparable to what the Americans are doing for their airlines.

125M loan vs 25B in grants...to start

As the Canadian government takes its time 14500 AC and 6900 WJ employees are unemployed...to start
james dean likes this.

Last edited by 575M; Apr 7, 20 at 8:33 pm
Old Apr 8, 20, 3:06 pm

Programs: skyteam
I wonder how long until Onex cuts its losses and lets Westjet just go.

“Private equity purchases tend to be heavily leveraged, and one observer who spoke on condition he would not be identified because of work he does in the sector, said Onex might be tempted to step away from the airline at some point to cut its losses.”
https://business.financialpost.com/n...-up-in-the-air
Old Apr 8, 20, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by 575M View Post
The deal for Porter through the BDC is not remotely comparable to what the Americans are doing for their airlines.

125M loan vs 25B in grants...to start

As the Canadian government takes its time 14500 AC and 6900 WJ employees are unemployed...to start
I would like to know why westjet is acting slow to government relief such as the wage subsidy program which air canada will be implementing as soon as it is approved by legislation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...sidy-1.5525926

Air Canada has announced swift action, why the delay for the same action by Westjet?
YYCguy and YYCCL3 like this.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Apr 8, 20 at 10:18 pm
Old Apr 8, 20, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post
I would like to know is why westjet acting slow to government relief such as the wage subsidy program which air canada will be implementing as soon as it is approved by legislation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...sidy-1.5525926

Air Canada has announced swift action, why the delay for the same action by Westjet?
Why the delay? I have no idea but they are working on it according to the presentation today.

I won’t reveal numbers as far as fleet and flights but I will say I am shocked at how deep the cuts are.

Swoop remains...barely.
Old Apr 8, 20, 7:07 pm

Why the delay? I have no idea but they are working on it according to the presentation today.

I won’t reveal numbers as far as fleet and flights but I will say I am shocked at how deep the cuts are.

Swoop remains...barely.
Thanks for the update.
Old Apr 8, 20, 8:28 pm

Swoop remains...barely.
I just did some research, found the flight attendants public cupe union page . They posted a very informative update for their flight attendants. Very shocked at the lack of care for the flight attendants or initiative for their employees. Here is the letter:

https://www.cupe4070.ca/front-page-n...demic-update-9

“COVID-19 Pandemic Update #9

DEAR MEMBERS,

We would like to update you on what has transpired in the past 24 hours related to further reductions in scheduled flying at WestJet, WestJet Encore and Swoop which will be in effect May 1, 2020 onwards.

Yesterday, the Employers’ Senior Executive Team hosted a call for all Union and Employee Association leaders. During this call, they outlined further cuts to our respective operations. The labour groups were advised that further job reductions in the form of involuntary layoffs were to be announced to all employees on the Executive webinar on Wednesday (today) at 14:00MT, effective May 1, 2020.

Since the Federal Government announced the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Program, your Union has been appropriately applying pressure for our Employer to take advantage of this program in order to: avoid further layoffs, and in fact, return those already on a voluntary measure (not including early retirement or early out) to payroll as soon as possible should they wish. The Employers’ stance had, until early this morning, been that there are insufficient details available on this program, and that their attempts to interact with the Government were simply bearing no results.

By avoiding layoffs and bringing others back on payroll via the Government CEWS program, 75% of the Members’ earnings are paid for by the Federal Government. This does not add cost to the Employer. Even if the Company elects not to top-up the remaining 25% of earnings, many Members will be better off by up to $300 every week, as opposed to being off payroll and on other Federal programs.

On Tuesday, CUPE 4070 became aware that despite the explanation offered to our Union, Air Canada was preparing to announce on Wednesday that they would be returning all 16,500 impacted employees to their payroll, as well as mitigating further layoffs. Your CUPE Local 4070 Executive was in immediate contact with the Company Senior Executive Team and advised them of this confirmed and pending news from our Competitor. Our Company appeared to be taken off-guard, and committed to further investigation on Wednesday.

By early Wednesday morning, CUPE had a copy of the CUPE Component of Air Canada’s announcement to their members indicating the option of a return to payroll for all impacted members, and further job reduction mitigation. Once again, this information was immediately provided to WestJet Senior Management with the caveat that should WestJet choose to continue to ignore the opportunities of the CEWS, and continue with further layoffs this afternoon, CUPE Local 4070 would commence a national media campaign to “highlight the inability of WestJet to work with the Federal Government to rehire workers, like Air Canada, and instead is planning indeed more layoffs.”

Within 30 minutes, an ‘Emergency’ conference call with Labour leaders was organized by the Company. On this call it was made clear that in light of changing circumstances, the Employer will now make it a priority to enact the CEWS for WestJet, WestJet Encore and Swoop employees, based on Parliamentary acceptance of the CEWS.

As you may have seen from the revised network plans effective May 1, 2020, the drastic further network reductions were most certainly going to result in significant layoffs for our Members from all three workgroups.

CUPE 4070 is pleased with the Company’s change of heart, as it relates to the CEWS program and the potential to now prevent further removal from payroll for more of our Membership, and the potential to soon return those on layoff or voluntary measures to Company payroll, back-dated to March 15, 2020 as per the Federal program.

Your Union will continue to fight every step of the way through this critical time to ensure that our Members’ interests are fundamentally at the top-of-mind with the Company’s Executive Team. We are proud to have helped open our Employer’s eyes and ears to what our Members need: access to the CEWS program like CUPE Members at Air Canada.

As always, we will update our Members as more information becomes available. At this time, much work needs to be done with regards to the CEWS option. Finer details are therefore not yet known as of tonight. The CEWS is also subject to government approval. We will return with further information in the days ahead as details emerge. Tonight, we are pleased we have halted the planned layoffs that were to be announced this afternoon, and will focus on the work ahead.”

Cannot believe how complacent and lack of awareness their corporate executives have shown for their front line crew. good for their union!
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:39 pm

Headline only for now.

Westjet to rehire thousands of employees.

Last edited by tracon; Apr 9, 20 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 9, 20, 3:03 pm

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/westjet-...gram-1.1419639CALGARY -- WestJet says it plans to bring back nearly 6,400 employees on to its payroll with the help of Ottawa's emergency wage subsidy program.

WestJet chief executive Ed Sims made the announcement in a video posted to Twitter.

He says employees will be back on the company payroll once the federal government has approved the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program.

Air Canada made a similar announcement on Wednesday that it would use the program to bring back about 16,500 employees.
Old Apr 11, 20, 4:48 am

Any guesses when flights may resume?

I realize no one has a working crystal ball and things are rapidly changing but any guesses?
I have a WJ vacation package to St. Lucia booked for June 14, thinking it will be cancelled?
WJ Flights to Florida in October, thinking they should be fine?

Last edited by Ontariotraveller; Apr 11, 20 at 5:02 am
Old Apr 11, 20, 9:39 am

WS probably won't resume what's considered regular operations until the travel advisory is lifted by the government. Depending on how things continue to play out, that'll determine when things return to a normal.

Back in February, I and others figured it would be all over in time for summer holidays, heck I had a friend who was still planning to go on his European trip this month. Obviously none of this happened.

I'd personally guess that your trip in June will need to be postponed, but Orlando in October should be fine (here's hoping).

I don't think any of us can predict the situation better than you can, is there a reason you need to know now?
Old Apr 13, 20, 4:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller View Post
I realize no one has a working crystal ball and things are rapidly changing but any guesses?
I have a WJ vacation package to St. Lucia booked for June 14, thinking it will be cancelled?
WJ Flights to Florida in October, thinking they should be fine?
Well St. Lucia has closed it boarders to the country. The likelihood they will open their board to permit your vacation to go ahead and WS will also decide to restart service before June 14 is low.

Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? Well that is much harder to say.
Old Apr 20, 20, 5:33 pm

International/Transborder suspension extended until June 4. Hearing only 10 737s, 10 Q400s and 1 787 will be used on just 80 daily departures. That's brutal.
Old Apr 20, 20, 6:32 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17 View Post
International/Transborder suspension extended until June 4. Hearing only 10 737s, 10 Q400s and 1 787 will be used on just 80 daily departures. That's brutal.
Thanks we just received cancellation of our May 10 CDG... that sucks.
Old May 5, 20, 12:25 pm

Hi, does anyone have any intel on what's happening with flights in mid June? I have a flight on the 16th of June YYZ - YYC and one 4 days later YYC - LAS.

Where Westjet are proactively cancelling flights - is it possible to get a refund or only a travel credit?
Old May 5, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by Avallon View Post
Hi, does anyone have any intel on what's happening with flights in mid June? I have a flight on the 16th of June YYZ - YYC and one 4 days later YYC - LAS.
Where Westjet are proactively cancelling flights - is it possible to get a refund or only a travel credit?
Your guess is as good as anyones as to when flights to LAS are resumed but I would be very surprised if they were flying transborder mid-June. No-one (except the small fraction of passengers that paid for a fully refundable fare) are getting refunds for flights that WestJet cancelled. Travel credits only. It's wrong, and they know it's wrong but they are doing it to conserve cash.
Avallon likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: