Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by Error 601
And yet WestJet declined the slots offered at LHR... if Heathrow is the better airport from which to weather the storm why would they do that?
simple . Traffic right now too low to have warranted running with that. What with virus raging the Uk right now. Besides those were ad hoc slots.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
simple . Traffic right now too low to have warranted running with that. What with virus raging the Uk right now. Besides those were ad hoc slots.
But the argument that has been made here is that by serving the great crossroads of the world that is LHR a struggling LGW route could come to health thanks to connecting traffic.

Last edited by Error 601; Oct 8, 2020 at 11:24 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:25 am

But the argument that has been made here is that by serving the great crossroads of the world that is LHR a struggling LGW route could come to health thanks to connecting traffic.
Except no one is travelling right now. It hard to make a go of any hub currently.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Except no one is travelling right now. It hard to make a go of any hub currently.
That seems counter-intuitive. If a single YYC-LHR flight could accommodate the present demand for LGW as well as CDG, FCO, DUB and other destinations with LHR's abundant potential connections why wouldn't you do that?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:03 pm

That seems counter-intuitive. If a single YYC-LHR flight could accommodate the present demand for LGW as well as CDG, FCO, DUB and other destinations with LHR's abundant potential connections why wouldn't you do that?
At the moment , Westjet has access to Gatwick. There could have been a variety of reasons why Westjet decided not to use the temporary non year round slots. It probably made no sense to utilize the LHR ad hoc slots as currently the costs with setting up the contracts and virtual infrastructure of moving to a new airport probably did not meet an efficient ratio for whomever decides this. Why spend the capital right now is my best guess.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I don't care how accessible LHR is, I will die a happy man if I never set foot there again.
Testify!
tecate55 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Testify!
No one flies through Heathrow because of a great customer experience. It is a terrible airport. You flight through Heathrow because of the network and the connections it offers.
cirrusdragoon and Vegabird like this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Fiordland
No one flies through Heathrow because of a great customer experience. It is a terrible airport. You flight through Heathrow because of the network and the connections it offers.
When WS started flying into LGW, it was quite a relief because it meant that now there were more options into the UK that didn't involve LHR, which means for me at least means non work trips. IMHO, there isn't a decent international airport in the UK, but LHR seems to be intent on being at the very bottom of a very large pile in terms of ease of use and general functionality. As people have pointed out upthread, its major/only selling point is that there are multiple ways to get out of it.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Virtually all of my London trips terminate there. Both LHR and LGW are horrible airports to try and connect through, especially with so many much better options on the continent.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:47 pm

For at least one hour today, YYC's international terminal wasn't a ghost town. WS resumed flights from YYC to CUN / PVR and SJD. All 4 southbound flights were fairly busy. (North bounds though not so much).

From this week, YYZ-MBJ gets a second weekly with a Sunday departure added. Looking ahead, I believe YYZ-LIR is expected to resume in November.
Vegabird likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Virtually all of my London trips terminate there. Both LHR and LGW are horrible airports to try and connect through, especially with so many much better options on the continent.
Given this is a Westjet forum - the "options" for connections on the continent are and were historically very limited.

My personal experience (because I'm cheap) was flying YVR - LGW on Westjet (bought with WJ$ and companion fare) and out the next day from LHR - CPH on BA (separate discounted ticket using Avios) after overnighting at a hotel by LHR T4. This was Sep 2019. Obviously, my choice to route this way - and were also meeting up with another traveling party at LHR. Did a similar trip in 2018 where it was supposed to be a connection in Iceland both directions from continental Europe where the in-bound got switched to an overnight connection on BA at LHR (due to very late arising personal circumstances disrupting travel plans). Similar cheap-skate motivations using AS award on Iceland Air. So, what is tolerable depends upon individual criteria.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:58 am

LGW loads have fallen quite sharply compared to September. Both yesterday's outbound and today's inbound had about 60ish people. I can see why they would want to consolidate the routes into one.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
LGW loads have fallen quite sharply compared to September. Both yesterday's outbound and today's inbound had about 60ish people. I can see why they would want to consolidate the routes into one.
In comparison we have AC operating some cargo only flights. We assume the cargo only flights are profitable otherwise the airlines would pass on them. What is an open question is if WS can secure high yielding cargo on these flights.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posted here WestJet cuts service to Atlantic Canada and Quebec City
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:46 pm

The November schedule is now visible in OAG and should be live in the booking system tonight.

So far, I've found YYZ-FLL & YVR-PVR being added back 1x weekly on Saturdays. I heard something about LIR too, but haven't found it yet in the schedule.
Edit: YYZ-RSW too.

Lot's of increases to Sun destinations popular with Snowbirds. Southbound loads have been pretty good:
YYC-PHX 4x weekly
YYC-PSP 4x weekly
YYC-CUN 3x weekly
YYC-PVR 3x weekly
YYC-SJD 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 3x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 2x weekly
YYZ-KIN 1x weekly
YYZ-LGW 2x weekly

All of the YYC & YYZ-Mexico routes have two departures on Saturdays. PSP only operates Thu / Sun with two flights on each day.

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Oct 17, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.