Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

How bad are US connections at YYZ T3 right now?

Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.

Some colleagues with Global Entry missed their connections yesterday because US Customs at YYZ Terminal 1 was "expletiving clown world" to use their exact words, I'm following them on Monday except on WestJet. The only time I have been significantly held-up at T3 was when my checked bag took forever to make it to CBP for reasons that didn't appear to have an explanation.

Should I be trying to get on an earlier YYC-YYZ to get myself more time (United is advising travellers departing YYZ by email to arrive three hours before their flights) or is the problem localized to T1?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Do you have to connect at YYZ? It's far easier to connect at a U.S. hub from YYC.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Friends don't let friends trans-border at YYZ.
Smiley90 and pilotboy1985YYC like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: skyteam
never had issues when connecting at terminal 3 when trying to get to washington dc , or chicago.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Do you have to connect at YYZ? It's far easier to connect at a U.S. hub from YYC.
This was all booked three weeks ago, the connection through MSP was worse and the connection through ATL was asinine, or at least it seemed that way at the time.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Friends don't let friends trans-border at YYZ.
T1 is a-ok for friends to make connections.

T3- is tolerable if the friend has the correct AMEX card (or something else providing priority).

Key problems with T3 trans-boarder is the line ups are long. The lounge is very small and overcrowded, the gates are over crowded and generally crappy. There is a conspiracy theory that they is an attempt to prepare Canadians for what they will find at the major US hub airports on arrival so they don't complain to much.
jkordyback and Frequentlander like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
T3- is tolerable if the friend has the correct AMEX card (or something else providing priority). Key problems with T3 trans-boarder is the line ups are long.
It's a crapshoot using AMEX or airline status to get ahead of the line with T3 transborder. Half the time I go through transborder, NOBODY is there pre-security checkpoint to usher you to the head of the line. And if there is someone there, this is merely the first lineup that you have to wait through. The second (and usually bigger lineup) is at the US Immigration desks, there is NO ability to get to the head of this line with status, you wait with the rest of the masses, but first you have to line up to get to an automated kiosk to enter your information, then go in a second line up to be interviewed by US immigration. OR bypass the madness with NEXUS and hope the terminals are working. While the line seems long, usually US Immigration has enough staff to get people through at a reasonable fast pace. However if you don't give yourself enough time, you will get stressed! After immigration, you simply hand in your card to the customs agent, then take the circuitous route through the duty free shop and finally you're in the transborder terminal.

The lounge is very small and overcrowded, the gates are over crowded and generally crappy. There is a conspiracy theory that they is an attempt to prepare Canadians for what they will find at the major US hub airports on arrival so they don't complain to much.
I would hope that with the renovations being done in T3, they improve the lounge situation transborder. But I'm not holding my breath, there's only so much space available in this small corner of the airport. It's small, and gets crowded quickly, especially if there are delayed flights.

In general, YYZ T3 transborder is a disappointing place to be, you feel like you're shoved to a side of the airport that has been forgotten. Maybe with the long lineups, they are hoping that you don't have to spend so much time in the holdrooms at the gates and complain about the conditions? Around gate A12 or A13, they had a moving walkway that was rattling so loud it was annoying, I retreated to a nearby Starbucks until they started boarding the flight!
Fiordland likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
It's a crapshoot using AMEX or airline status to get ahead of the line with T3 transborder. Half the time I go through transborder, NOBODY is there pre-security checkpoint to usher you to the head of the line. And if there is someone there, this is merely the first lineup that you have to wait through. The second (and usually bigger lineup) is at the US Immigration desks, there is NO ability to get to the head of this line with status, you wait with the rest of the masses, but first you have to line up to get to an automated kiosk to enter your information, then go in a second line up to be interviewed by US immigration. OR bypass the madness with NEXUS and hope the terminals are working. While the line seems long, usually US Immigration has enough staff to get people through at a reasonable fast pace. However if you don't give yourself enough time, you will get stressed! After immigration, you simply hand in your card to the customs agent, then take the circuitous route through the duty free shop and finally you're in the transborder terminal.

I would hope that with the renovations being done in T3, they improve the lounge situation transborder. But I'm not holding my breath, there's only so much space available in this small corner of the airport. It's small, and gets crowded quickly, especially if there are delayed flights.

In general, YYZ T3 transborder is a disappointing place to be, you feel like you're shoved to a side of the airport that has been forgotten. Maybe with the long lineups, they are hoping that you don't have to spend so much time in the holdrooms at the gates and complain about the conditions? Around gate A12 or A13, they had a moving walkway that was rattling so loud it was annoying, I retreated to a nearby Starbucks until they started boarding the flight!
A proper above ground extension that would physically attach the existing A/B 1-5 gates to Terminal 3 is long overdue. Such an extension might add more gate/hold room space and therefore allow the existing transborder area to expand into the entire pier that is separated by a glass wall at the moment.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YYCguy
A proper above ground extension that would physically attach the existing A/B 1-5 gates to Terminal 3 is long overdue. Such an extension might add more gate/hold room space and therefore allow the existing transborder area to expand into the entire pier that is separated by a glass wall at the moment.
It is in the YYZ Master Plan, but I don't know if anything has happened yet.
Aircraft Gates. Increasing the capacity and accessibility of Pier A, a satellite facility of Terminal 3 (see Figure 7-4), is an important part of Toronto Pearsons efforts to meet growing demand. As a first step, we plan to demolish the Hangar 8 maintenance facility. We expect demolition to be completed in 2018, and the area should be converted to apron space by 2019. We then plan to develop a link between the north end of Pier A and the west end of Terminal 3, with five gates along its span serving narrow body aircraft by 2021
Has Hangar 8 been demolished yet?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I was told about ten years ago that WestJet at T3 was an "accident of history" never intended to be by either WestJet or the GTAA.

In any event, it wasn't as bad today as I feared but there were a number of people in the luggage waiting room who were awfully irritable. It also appeared a lot of people were being sent to secondary.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
I was told about ten years ago that WestJet at T3 was an "accident of history" never intended to be by either WestJet or the GTAA.

In any event, it wasn't as bad today as I feared but there were a number of people in the luggage waiting room who were awfully irritable. It also appeared a lot of people were being sent to secondary.
Not certain what the alternatives would have been. T1 does not have sufficient space for both AC and WS. Had they not leveled T2 that mighty has been a good home for WS.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:34 pm

Not certain what the alternatives would have been. T1 does not have sufficient space for both AC and WS. Had they not leveled T2 that mighty has been a good home for WS.
WS was housed temporarily in T2 (for Transborder flights I believe) when they first arrived at YYZ. It was a dark and depressing terminal. Im glad it was demolished!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Google didn't make this easy to find:

Air Canada wins gate fight at new Toronto terminal | CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2004 5:36 PM ET
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...minal-1.507344

But in mid-January, WestJet announced that it too would be operating out of the new Terminal 1 as of April. Two weeks later, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority told Air Canada that it would have access to only six of the 14 gates. Air Canada said the GTAA was in breach of its original agreement.

In a hand-written 29-page decision, Justice James Farley agreed with Air Canada's position and told the GTAA to give it preferred access to all the gates in the new terminal.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
Google didn't make this easy to find:
Interesting. My memory was after the Canadian merger AC moved all its domestic/trans boarder to T2 and international was out of other old T1. T3 was everyone else, Back then I was a regular on the Pem-Air flight to Pembroke. Canadian use to handle their gate in Toronto, after Canadian left American handled the gate for Pem-Air. Can't even think of any other airline that would have been on the domestic side. Perhaps WS was over on T2.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I don't recall any of this in real-time, I was living in California then. It was probably 1996 the last time I set foot in Terminal 2.

Edit: I think it was actually 2003, it was during the blackout. But on Air Canada Zip.

I just recalled that a WestJet person mentioned to me a decade ago that it was just a fluke they were at Terminal 3 and they were making the best of it.

Last edited by Error 601; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.