Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing Anomaly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Pricing Anomaly

Was looking at pricing for a trip from Canada to US and also was looking at one way fares between two airlines. So the WJ flight (serviced by partner Delta) lists the pricing, as usual, in one way segments. So the return segment (US to Canada) showed a fair of $150. However, if I enter booking information as one way from US to Canada, for the same flight, the flight is actually $30 more.

The airlines do not advertise that there is a discount for a round trip and you would think that a one way segment, regardless of booking it as one way or part of a round trip, would logically be the same price.

Anyone have insight into this?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Taxes and fees are often different depending on the point of origin ... so two one-way tickets will rarely be the same price as one round trip ticket.

If it’s international, then currency conversion on some line items could round up slightly differently.

None of that has anything to do with the actual fare — but airlines can and do choose how to set prices, and may well price one-way segments differently from round-trip itineraries.

That’s simply how it is.
aerobod and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:16 pm

I suspect other than airport taxes and fees...etc...jet fuel rates at origin has major effect on flight rates. For example WJ flight from YYC to CDG Paris quoted as $500 but same route from CDG Paris to YYC is quoted $800.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:37 pm

True. And airfares are still a "supply and demand" thing (even though the carrier determines all of the prices). An outbound on a heavy travel day will always have higher prices than a return on a light travel day (i.e. with more availability).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:55 pm

Sales tax also affects pricing, AB has 5% sales tax whereas ON would have 13%. If you book a trip from YYZ-YYC you'd pay more as a return ticket due to paying HST on the entire ticket rather than HST on the outbound and just GST on the return.

The reverse holds for YYC-YYZ, you'd want to book that as a return trip to pay the 5% sales tax on the entire booking.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maxjasper
I suspect other than airport taxes and fees...etc...jet fuel rates at origin has major effect on flight rates. For example WJ flight from YYC to CDG Paris quoted as $500 but same route from CDG Paris to YYC is quoted $800.
That may be true but you are looking at it at pricing from two separate directions. I am looking at A to B round trip. A to B has a price and B to A has a price. Book B to A as a one way and the price is different from the return leg of the round trip.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:10 pm

Yes, because - as mentioned above - fees and taxes can vary wildly based on the point of origin of the ticket.

A round trip from A to B to A will have different fees and taxes for the second segment than a simple “B to A” one way trip.

Again, that’s normal and to be expected.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:40 am

starchoice: I see you’re posting the exact same question and having the same discussion in other airline forums (ie AC).

In that case, you should be using a general forum rather than replicating the same thing in multiple forums.

Mods: is there a better place for this thread?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
starchoice: I see you’re posting the exact same question and having the same discussion in other airline forums (ie AC).

In that case, you should be using a general forum rather than replicating the same thing in multiple forums.

Mods: is there a better place for this thread?
No, the AC post was about hidden-city ticket pricing specific to Air Canada. The WJ post is about price discrepancies between one way and one way on a round trip specific to WestJet.
cirrusdragoon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.