Airline Alliance Membership

Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Airline Alliance Membership

Alaska have announced they will become full OneWorld members with full entry targeted for summer 2021. Will this influence WestJet thinking on to join or not to join SkyTeam?

Discuss.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Doubtful.

WestJet execs have said a big, flat no to alliance membership at conferences and industry events (although have never really confirmed that with their own customers).

Further, theyve been in no rush to give alliance-style benefits to their frequent flyer customers. In spite of years of code-sharing with Delta (and 20+ months of pursuing a JV) they havent shown much concern about providing customer benefits. It remains a something, someday, if the JV ever gets approved low priority.

And even their main partner Delta is now seemingly souring on alliance membership and instead are focusing on growing through JVs and acquisitions. They seem less than excited to be part of SkyTeam these days, although I doubt theyll leave.

AA/AS is interesting, as their team-up gives a new, appealing option for cross-border business travel out of YVR and YYC.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Doubtful.

WestJet execs have said a big, flat no to alliance membership at conferences and industry events (although have never really confirmed that with their own customers).

Further, theyve been in no rush to give alliance-style benefits to their frequent flyer customers. In spite of years of code-sharing with Delta (and 20+ months of pursuing a JV) they havent shown much concern about providing customer benefits. It remains a something, someday, if the JV ever gets approved low priority.

And even their main partner Delta is now seemingly souring on alliance membership and instead are focusing on growing through JVs and acquisitions. They seem less than excited to be part of SkyTeam these days, although I doubt theyll leave.

AA/AS is interesting, as their team-up gives a new, appealing option for cross-border business travel out of YVR and YYC.
Its amazing how things change over night. management is always changing over time, i think WJ will one day join an alliance.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Its amazing how things change over night. management is always changing over time, i think WJ will one day join an alliance.
Well WJ at one time had closer relationships with American and BA. It is has moved away from them and built stronger relationships with Skyteam + Quantas. I think it is clear which alliance they would join if they were to join an alliance. Hopefully with the head of Air France/KLM being a Canadian we will see a stronger WS relationship on that front and the Delta JV approved. The rest of Skyteam is likely less relevant.

That leaves the Oneworld airlines to pick either WS or AC to partner with domestic Canadian connections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.