FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Booking timing for November (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/2007300-booking-timing-november.html)

john2003 Feb 2, 2020 10:20 pm

Booking timing for November

I am not very familiar with Westjet having normally used Alaska. I see they sometimes have a sale around Halloween but this really late. Based on experience when might be a good time for an early November departure.

ricktoronto Feb 2, 2020 10:34 pm

Are the prices now fair? If so, then now is a good time. If you want to guess and wait so late they can sell out or raise prices, that’s an option. I’d say hoping for a sale October 31 for a flight a week later is foolhardy.

john2003 Feb 2, 2020 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 32025905)
Are the prices now fair? If so, then now is a good time. If you want to guess and wait so late they can sell out or raise prices, that’s an option. I’d say hoping for a sale October 31 for a flight a week later is foolhardy.

i think the current prices are high. For example there are Feb flights for about half the cost. However this may denote a steady rise in prices. I agree with your comment about Oct 31. That is why I asked the question.

j_y11789 Feb 3, 2020 10:02 am

Honestly, I can't say too much regarding the sales around October/November, best I can say is keep an eye on the prices over the months and if it seems a good deal to you, book your flight. I've seen it be low the closer it gets to departure, I've also seen the prices get really high closer to departure.

ricktoronto Feb 3, 2020 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by john2003 (Post 32026048)
i think the current prices are high. For example there are Feb flights for about half the cost. However this may denote a steady rise in prices. I agree with your comment about Oct 31. That is why I asked the question.

Well, you can't go in February and perhaps others have no desire to as well, hence a lower price. Really it is that simple with real time dynamic pricing. If they could sell now for 2 weeks from now for double, they would and will.

And looking at this month today and assuming OK, it's February now, and fares are lower this month, therefore at the end of October, November prices will be similarly lower, is likely to be a case of waiting 6 1/2 months to be disappointed.

Not mentioning from and to where does not make the crystal ball any clearer. Winnipeg might be a bit unpopular this month and less so in November.

Buy a flex fare and refund it and rebuy it later if you want a proper hedge. Full fare refundable tickets are priced that way because they are a hedge against lost liquidity for cancellations and price changes.