Search

Halifax to Manchester Launches S20

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam
Halifax to Manchester Launches S20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2020/

WestJet Launches Halifax - Manchester (England)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2020/

WestJet Launches Halifax - Manchester (England)
Why?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Considering many Nova Scotian’s have ties to the UK , coupled as Halifax is a strong hub for gathering traffic from all of the maritime provinces to the UK, also coupled with Halifax experiencing a boom in population growth , https://globalnews.ca/news/5400235/halifax-economy/ Why not?

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Jan 16, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Why?
Coronation Street tours.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Coronation Street tours.
There actually used to be a real street to tour if I’m not mistaken, but not anymore. Is there a tour at the studios now?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by YYCguy
There actually used to be a real street to tour if I’m not mistaken, but not anymore. Is there a tour at the studios now?
The street tour did exist when I was a student in Manchester.....Back When Bett Lynch was a gal.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:43 pm

Why?
It allows people east of YYZ (yes they do exist) to get to a major European city that isn't London.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Jan 16, 2020 at 5:50 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
It allows people east of YYZ (yes they do exist) to get to a major European city that isn't London.
Basically my question in general is if there is actually a draw for Manchester? Is it a destination? Does it provide any connection opportunities? I can understand London obviously or Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen but when I talk to people that travel to the UK no one ever talks about going to Manchester (unless they are going for football.)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Basically my question in general is if there is actually a draw for Manchester? Is it a destination? Does it provide any connection opportunities? I can understand London obviously or Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen but when I talk to people that travel to the UK no one ever talks about going to Manchester (unless they are going for football.)
FWIW, when I flew El Al to Israel in September, the cover article in the in-flight magazine was all about Manchester. The city seems to be generating a lot of buzz for some reason.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It's a peak seasonal 4x weekly 737-700, 536 seats each way a week, don't need that much demand to fill that up.
Norcanair likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
FWIW, when I flew El Al to Israel in September, the cover article in the in-flight magazine was all about Manchester. The city seems to be generating a lot of buzz for some reason.
I lived there for 4 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's something like the 10th largest airport in Europe. The city has lots of culture, tons of Universities as well as a thriving music and arts centre - all round a very interesting place. It vies with Birmingham for UKs second city, although B'ham isn't a patch on Manchester.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Absolutely there is connection opportunites, in particular with Virgin Atlantic and Virgins regional ,Connect service. WestJet has also signed a codeshare agreement with Virgin Atlantic https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...nadas-westjet/
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Also worth considering is the draw Halifax (and the ROC by connection) has for Greater Manchester: 3 million people, the third busiest airport in the UK, and correct me if I'm wrong but only two direct Canadian destinations - YYZ (AC and TS) and YVR seasonally (TS).

Plus you don't need a widebody or MAX to do a MAN - YHZ run. Could be a smart move for WS.
Frequentlander and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:09 am

When I read the title of the OP I couldn't understand why fly from Halifax to Manchester.
I was born and bred in MAN UK so I pictured this Manchester - Halifax about 35 miles

Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:30 am

Flying would mean not having to drive through Rochdale so there is probably demand.....
Crampedin13A and M60_to_LGA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.