Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Trying to Fly to Barcelona on WJ using voucher help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Trying to fly to Barcelona with Westjet using my companion voucher ticket but they only fly to Barcelona from May 2020 to Sept 2020.

So I was thinking of flying somewhere in Europe first and then connecting to Barcelona (use the companion ticket for the 1st leg).

Any ideas of where I could fly to first for a few days?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:38 pm

WS only flies to DUB, GLA, LGW, CDG, BCN and FCO.
I assume a companion voucher can only be used on WS flights?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
WS only flies to DUB, GLA, LGW, CDG, BCN and FCO.
I assume a companion voucher can only be used on WS flights?
Yes. Trying to find at least one leg that WS flies and then book a connecting flight to Barcelona.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xcell
Yes. Trying to find at least one leg that WS flies and then book a connecting flight to Barcelona.
And he's told you which cities they fly to, and by leaving out BCN you can pick one of the others and then buy a separate ticket from there. I doubt I'd overfly Spain all the way to Italy, mind you.

Have you looked at all on WestJet's site for flights to non-Barcelona European cities? The only information you've doled out is you want to go to BCN and it must not be in that May-September zone so you have to do some legwork with things like dates, and budget and so forth.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Trying to fly to Barcelona with Westjet using my companion voucher ticket but they only fly to Barcelona from May 2020 to Sept 2020.

So I was thinking of flying somewhere in Europe first and then connecting to Barcelona (use the companion ticket for the 1st leg).

Any ideas of where I could fly to first for a few days?
Depends on the dates.

LGW is year round.

CDG and FCO runs March - October.

DUB and GLA runs late April - October (there is easy and frequent busses to EDI from Glasgow Buchanan station to fly outta Edinburgh).

Did I miss anything?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for not being too clear...1st time flying overseas... usually I just deal with MIA or FLL.

I'm flying out of Toronto YYZ which only flies to Barcelona May to Sept.

Going for Dec 20th to Jan 1 but looks like the above are not possible.

Last edited by xcell; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Sorry for not being too clear...1st time flying overseas... usually I just deal with MIA or FLL.

I'm flying out of Toronto YYZ which only flies to Barcelona May to Sept.

Going for Dec 20th to Jan 1 but looks like the above are not possible.
Not certain you can do that if WestJet is not operating the flight. They do fly year round to London. However you then need to get from London down to Barcelona.

I just booked a flight to Barcelona (out of Vancouver, connecting in Toronto) and TAP Air Portugal have some good discounts.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
He left and even came back a month ago so it's moot now. Though it was edited yesterday, 40 days after the desired outbound date.

But generally it's a bit obvious if they don't go to Barcelona you find a city they do go to, then go from there. He could have flown to MIA or even SJO, I think, to connect to BCN non stop so the options are many. Somewhere in London looked like the only definite choice.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
He left and even came back a month ago so it's moot now. Though it was edited yesterday, 40 days after the desired outbound date.
There is also a Dec 20th to Jan 1st in 2020/2021...

Which considering this thread was started on Jan 4th 2020 is the more likely answer than time travel, even with FT editing.

For the OP...

You go to the Wikipedia page for your departure airport. You see which cities are served by Westjet. You pick the ones in Europe and you see what the prices look like for your travel dates. Then you use Google Flights or whatever to see what a separate ticket would cost to get to Barcelona.

I suspect that London would indeed be the simple and cheapest option, although fares should decrease. (nobody books paid fares this far in advance, unless they have very firm plans --> airlines start with higher fares before lowering them)

Just make sure to leave lots of time between your arrival and subsequent departure. Neither Westjet or your subsequent airline will protect you for delays causing you to miss the connection.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Just make sure to leave lots of time between your arrival and subsequent departure. Neither Westjet or your subsequent airline will protect you for delays causing you to miss the connection.
There is one option where you can have a protected connection, if you buy Gatwick Connects with Easyjet and WestJet: https://www.gatwickairport.com/faqs/flight-connections/
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input -- I have "google flights" watch all possibilities.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:28 pm

In Autumn 2019 I flew Kelowna-Calgary to Paris on WestJet then Paris to Barcelona on EasyJet. The Paris-Barcelona flight was around 40 Euros PP and is a quick flight. I had 3 hours between arrival to and departure from CDG, and it took pretty much the whole time to navigate that god forsaken labyrinthine excuse for an airport. Still happy I did it as I paid $600 from YLW to CDG and YLW to Barcelona is typically around $1200. Good luck with your plans—Barcelona is absolutely amazing!
PS I use Skyscanner to find cheap flights within Europe
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

thanks, I will look that up, considering I have all the time in the world right now.

My hopes are that the cruise I booked won't be cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.