Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet vs Air Canada 787 PY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Westjet vs Air Canada 787 PY

Looking to book a flight to London in June and seriously considering WJ over AC.
My opinion of AC's PY is that it is nothing more than Economy Plus, nothing Premium about it at all.
I have have flown NZ's PY a lot and continue to if my upgrades don't clear. NZ's PY is a Premium product.

Looking for opinions from travellers who have first hand knowledge of both WJ & AC's PY product and ideally NZ's as well so they can give a comparison.
At 6'4", leg room and personal space is important, followed by meals.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by taupo
Looking to book a flight to London in June and seriously considering WJ over AC.
My opinion of AC's PY is that it is nothing more than Economy Plus, nothing Premium about it at all.
I have have flown NZ's PY a lot and continue to if my upgrades don't clear. NZ's PY is a Premium product.

Looking for opinions from travellers who have first hand knowledge of both WJ & AC's PY product and ideally NZ's as well so they can give a comparison.
At 6'4", leg room and personal space is important, followed by meals.
At 6’4 I would highly recommend getting bulkhead on WS Dreamliner in Premium. Bulkhead seating also has a footrest in addition to the let rest. You also get two meals plus unlimited snacks and beverages. If you have any special meal requirements you must call westjet directly up to 48 hours before your flight to book that meal. The food is quite tasty and you can enjoy a large selection of tv/movies/games/reading/music on the touch screen tv. A cozy quilt and pillow plus passive noise cancelling headphones are supplied for the flight, and a Rocky Mountain soap company amenity kit is nice souvenir.
Symmetre and jkordyback like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Not sure what AC 789 you flew but AC has a separate cabin for PY on mainline widebody aircraft. The 763 doesn’t have PY but it’s exiting the fleet this year. Definitely not “economy plus” which is economy with some extra pitch. They are comparable; go for price and schedule.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YYCguy
At 6’4 I would highly recommend getting bulkhead on WS Dreamliner in Premium. Bulkhead seating also has a footrest in addition to the let rest. You also get two meals plus unlimited snacks and beverages. If you have any special meal requirements you must call westjet directly up to 48 hours before your flight to book that meal. The food is quite tasty and you can enjoy a large selection of tv/movies/games/reading/music on the touch screen tv. A cozy quilt and pillow plus passive noise cancelling headphones are supplied for the flight, and a Rocky Mountain soap company amenity kit is nice souvenir.
Great advice, thank you.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Not sure what AC 789 you flew but AC has a separate cabin for PY on mainline widebody aircraft. The 763 doesn’t have PY but it’s exiting the fleet this year. Definitely not “economy plus” which is economy with some extra pitch. They are comparable; go for price and schedule.
Flown the AC 789 PY twice across the Atlantic.
It is a cabin separated by a bulkhead with no curtains between Y & PY. Lavs are shared with Y, so Y traffic back and forth through the PY cabin. No real drink service, Y style meal, narrow seats and limited leg room. Hence referring to AC's as Y+ as opposed to Premium. The AC forum has numerous posts on this topic.
Air NZ's PY is separate cabin, wider seats with more leg room, dedicated lavs, great drink service.

Does Westjet's PY compare more to AC's or NZ's?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC 35k
PointsGuy Review
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Thank you for posting that.
Sounds like a Premium product done right.
Looking forward to trying it one day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.