Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Lounges in US? (Miami?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
WestJet Lounges in US? (Miami?)

Got expiring lounge passes from silver status and the only WS flights we are taking are from Miami next month. Any voucher-applicable lounges there?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They list the sparse list on the website so have a look. Prepare for disappointment.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
They list the sparse list on the website so have a look. Prepare for disappointment.
Here is the sparse list. Weird not a single lounge in the US.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...irport-lounges
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland

Not quite the same frequency out of US vacation spots, hence not a single lounge where the volume could never justify one, but they could arrange with PP etc., for access, but with mostly tourists, why bother? They have a few in the UK but to there they now offer proper business class (I think on the 787) there so it would be hard to have nothing.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond

No lounges in the US perhaps because WJ was hoping a JV with Delta will (hopefully) offer reciprocal access to their lounges. Makes sense to do it this way, but it certainly sucks that we are still waiting patiently for this JV to finally materialize! Would make arriving early at some of these US airports a bit more palatable.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
No lounges in the US perhaps because WJ was hoping a JV with Delta will (hopefully) offer reciprocal access to their lounges. Makes sense to do it this way, but it certainly sucks that we are still waiting patiently for this JV to finally materialize! Would make arriving early at some of these US airports a bit more palatable.
Why would DL enter in a reciprocal lounge-use agreement with WS, when WS have no lounges of their own?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Why would DL enter in a reciprocal lounge-use agreement with WS, when WS have no lounges of their own?
My understanding is that alliance-style lounge use agreements aren’t all that different from what WS does now with their current contract lounges: the airline pays the lounge owner (whether it’s an airline or a private operator) a per-person fee for each use. That would be the same if it was a DL-owned lounge or a PP lounge.

I’m intrigued to see what happens with lounges when (if) the Delta reciprocal benefits ever materialize. Delta’s lounges in the U.S. are great — but they’re all overflowing. At Delta’s hubs, they’re already jam-packed. There’s a chance that lounge benefits might not be fully-reciprocal...

WS always could have contracted with private/contract lounges in the U.S. if they’d wanted to ... but they’ve chosen not to. It made sense when they were primarily a leisure carrier.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Lounges are the sore spot for frequent travellers on WS. The private lounges are hit and miss. For example, YYC US/INT Aspire lounges are good. The YYZ lounges are pretty grungy. Also, I’ve been turned away from WestJet contracted Plaza lounges because other airlines take priority, even when there is space available.

I fly to the US a lot so I feel your pain when it comes to lounges south of the border.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by jkordyback
Lounges are the sore spot for frequent travellers on WS. The private lounges are hit and miss. For example, YYC US/INT Aspire lounges are good. The YYZ lounges are pretty grungy. Also, I’ve been turned away from WestJet contracted Plaza lounges because other airlines take priority, even when there is space available.

I fly to the US a lot so I feel your pain when it comes to lounges south of the border.
Get an Amex platinum and use the Amex / PP / Delta lounges. For the most part they're fine, some times they're quite nice. The card has enough other benefits to justify its cost even without the unlimited lounge benefit.
jkordyback, Fiordland and FlyerJ like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Get an Amex platinum and use the Amex / PP / Delta lounges. For the most part they're fine, some times they're quite nice. The card has enough other benefits to justify its cost even without the unlimited lounge benefit.
What Symmetre said. Just listen to him kids.
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:18 pm

I have the card. It is great. However it has its problems.....

Seattle is my annoyance. The AMEX operated lounge is frequently full. The other PP lounge is in the far reaches of the airport. So far that you need pack snacks for a break mid journey on your hike to far reaches of SEA. If only the Alaska lounges were not turning away PP.

Montreal is the other problem airport. A very civilized airport with it is lacking any reasonable lounge option for those not traveling AC. Saskatoon and Regina are also the same way.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Not quite the same frequency out of US vacation spots, hence not a single lounge where the volume could never justify one, but they could arrange with PP etc., for access, but with mostly tourists, why bother? They have a few in the UK but to there they now offer proper business class (I think on the 787) there so it would be hard to have nothing.
Perhaps you can make that argument about Miami. However New York (Laguardia) without a lounge is sad. The same SFO and LAX.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I have the card. It is great. However it has its problems.....

Seattle is my annoyance. The AMEX operated lounge is frequently full. The other PP lounge is in the far reaches of the airport. So far that you need pack snacks for a break mid journey on your hike to far reaches of SEA. If only the Alaska lounges were not turning away PP.

Montreal is the other problem airport. A very civilized airport with it is lacking any reasonable lounge option for those not traveling AC. Saskatoon and Regina are also the same way.
The DL lounge in the A concourse at SEA-TAC is pretty nice, provided it's reasonably close to your gates. I've got in there with the Amex while awaiting WS flights to YYC.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:27 am

The DL lounge in the A concourse at SEA-TAC is pretty nice, provided it's reasonably close to your gates. I've got in there with the Amex while awaiting WS flights to YYC.
The DL lounge in the satellite area is even nicer. You can only get in when flying Delta and not Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.