Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problem cancelling flexible fares within the WS app

Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

I've just had to waste a bunch of time on the phone with WS getting a refund on a fully flexible, fully refundable fare processed to my credit card.

I cancelled the flight through the app and, even though it said I would get a refund, it instead sent the amount to my travel bank.

This is the second time this has happened. Both were flexible business fares, but one was international, the other domestic, and one was cancelled several days after booking, the other within the 24-hour window.

I'm starting to think there's a glitch in the app that's causing this.

Anyone else had problems with it?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:28 pm

It's a feature, not a bug.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mxqisit
It's a feature, not a bug.
I'm not sure whether that's a joke or you're saying that the app is somehow designed to put everything to travel bank instead of refund.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:19 pm

WestJet web site says:

Travel Bank credits can only be transferred through our contact centre. Please contact us at 1-888-937-8538. We'll be happy to help.

WestJet stupid refund system sounds like scam:

Service credits and travel credits from flight refunds and/or changes expire 12 months from the date they're issued.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maxjasper
WestJet web site says:

Travel Bank credits can only be transferred through our contact centre. Please contact us at 1-888-937-8538. We'll be happy to help.
That's not at all related to what I'm talking about. A fully refundable fare should generate a refund to the original form of payment, not a travel bank credit. Nothing should ever go to the travel bank on a transaction like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:53 pm

From WS explanation I guess regardless of ticket type, all refunds are directed into Travel Bank and then passenger calls that phone to negotiate what to do next. Perhaps WS this way simplifies complications of cancelled credit cards or bank cards that passenger originally used to pay his fares.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

From WS explanation I guess regardless of ticket type, all refunds are directed into Travel Bank and then passenger calls that phone to negotiate what to do next. Perhaps WS this way simplifies complications of cancelled credit cards or bank cards that passenger originally used to pay his fares.
No, that's not the way it works. I've successfully cancelled refundable fares in the past - maybe even in an older version of the app - and had the refund go straight to my credit card, as it's supposed to.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
This is why it's worth the $40 for a human travel agent who gets you the cashola back in 48 hours or less on fully refundable fares.

It's hard to imagine programming a system to move cash refunds to the travel bank then move that to a real bank as it amounts to over programming and runs the risk of all sorts of confusion of what's in the travel bank at any time, e.g. which is supposedly immediately refundable dosh and what's for future use.

To say nothing of making all FF passengers phone to get the money, nothing like doubling up the workload and peeving the small segment of the audience that flies full fare refundable fares who will attrite to competitors who are too smart to practice such shenanigans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.