Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why is St. Lucia listed as "Vieux Fort" on WestJet's website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I had to take a long look to find UVF as it's not listed intuitively IMHO.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
I had to take a long look to find UVF as it's not listed intuitively IMHO.
I can't answer your question, but I note that there are two commercial airports on the island of St. Lucia: UVF (Vieux Fort); and SLU (formerly Vigie Field, and now known as Charles Airport).

I always thought of UVF as the Un-Vigie-Field airport.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I can't answer your question, but I note that there are two commercial airports on the island of St. Lucia: UVF (Vieux Fort); and SLU (formerly Vigie Field, and now known as Charles Airport).

I always thought of UVF as the Un-Vigie-Field airport.
One is the international airport and the other is the commuter airport, at opposites ends of the island if I recall correctly. I remember what a harrowing drive it was to get from one airport to the other, on windy, narrow roads beside cliffs! I’m surprised I didn’t get carsick!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by YYCguy
One is the international airport and the other is the commuter airport, at opposites ends of the island if I recall correctly. I remember what a harrowing drive it was to get from one airport to the other, on windy, narrow roads beside cliffs! I’m surprised I didn’t get carsick!
Actually, Charles (SLU) and Hewanorra (UVF) are both international airports: there are no domestic flights on St. Lucia. But SLU's flights are currently limited to intra-Caribbean flights, while UVF has a mix of intra-Caribbean flights and longer-haul international flights.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:54 pm

Ah thank you for the clarification. We had to transit from UVF to SLU to catch a commuter flight to Barbados.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Actually, Charles (SLU) and Hewanorra (UVF) are both international airports: there are no domestic flights on St. Lucia. But SLU's flights are currently limited to intra-Caribbean flights, while UVF has a mix of intra-Caribbean flights and longer-haul international flights.
Not entirely true about no domestic flights. There is helicopter service from Castries to the other end of the island where the larger airport UVF is located, because the road is that bad. (50+km, generally well over an hour by road)
https://www.stluciahelicopters.com/i...ort%20Shuttles

There are two airports on St Lucia...
CLU/George Charles Airport located in Castries - older, smaller, flights to other Caribbean Islands
UVF/Hewanorra Airport located in Vieux Fort - larger, long-haul flights

The confusion is generally that Castries is the larger city.

So calling it "Vieux Fort, St Lucia" is technically correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.