Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ratio of passengers to lavatories in Y cabin?

Old Nov 5, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

I've done a few recent flights on 737-700s on both Delta and United (in Economy), and noticed that they all have two lavs in the back. On WestJet - at least on the 600s and 700s that I've flown - I think there's only a single lav in the back.

As the new WS Premium cabins are being installed (and the "front lav is only for PE" rule becomes enforced), is WestJet adding an additional bathroom at the back of the plane for Economy?

Both Delta and United have fewer pax in their main cabins (thanks to having large UA E+ / DL MCE mid-cabin sections with loads of legroom) than WestJet does ... but they also have double the number of Y class lavatories. If WS does intend to make the front lav exclusive for PE customers, only 1 bathroom for 120+ passengers in Y seems pretty torturous.
Old Nov 5, 19, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
I've done a few recent flights on 737-700s on both Delta and United (in Economy), and noticed that they all have two lavs in the back. On WestJet - at least on the 600s and 700s that I've flown - I think there's only a single lav in the back.

As the new WS Premium cabins are being installed (and the "front lav is only for PE" rule becomes enforced), is WestJet adding an additional bathroom at the back of the plane for Economy?

Both Delta and United have fewer pax in their main cabins (thanks to having large UA E+ / DL MCE mid-cabin sections with loads of legroom) than WestJet does ... but they also have double the number of Y class lavatories. If WS does intend to make the front lav exclusive for PE customers, only 1 bathroom for 120+ passengers in Y seems pretty torturous.

I cannot speak to what they would do if they do in fact retro fit the 600's and 700's with true 2 person seating and segregating rear of plane from the premium lav.... I doubt they would bother though because the cost vs benefit on those older machines....once the Max8 gets figured out they will be eventually replacing with max as the years go on I would be assuming....both the 800 and the Max8 have 2 rear lavs
Old Nov 5, 19, 4:41 pm

I do believe that the plan is to add a second lavatory at the rear when the 2x2 W seats are installed.
Old Nov 5, 19, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by couldcarryless View Post
I cannot speak to what they would do if they do in fact retro fit the 600's and 700's with true 2 person seating and segregating rear of plane from the premium lav.... I doubt they would bother though because the cost vs benefit on those older machines....once the Max8 gets figured out they will be eventually replacing with max as the years go on I would be assuming....both the 800 and the Max8 have 2 rear lavs
There is already one 600 with the new seats. I think the have already purchased all the seats to do retrofits (less aircraft leaving the fleet).

As for the lavs, I would expect they follow the practice at Alaska. Typical instructions given at Alaska are if you are in economy and need to use the lav at the front of the aircraft, you have to wait at the divider between economy and first. When the lav becomes free you can go up and use it.

The have been told that the US has some law that you must use the lav in your cabin when on an international flight. Your legally permitted to use a lav in a different cabin when flying domestic (I never looked it up or don't even know where to look it up). If this law existing, it would be disappointing if anyone though it was an effective use of resources to enforce it.
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:56 am
Original Poster

I always thought WestJet’s plan was to restrict the front lav to PE, once an aircraft is reconfigured to have it as a separate cabin (ie with a flimsy curtain separating front and back).

I’m fine with that, provided that there are sufficient bathrooms (with an s!) in the back for the 120-ish people there. (My flying is sometimes in front of the flimsy curtain and sometimes behind.)

As for the “it’s a law” thing, I call bs on U.S. carriers who occasionally claim that. I think they’ve stretched the truth to preserve the sanctity of the J class bathroom. It’s a company policy that most carriers want to reserve the front loo for J, and FAs have to enforce that. It’s a law that you have to obey cabin crew instructions. Ergo it’s a “law” that you can’t pee in the front unless you have a seat in the front cabin.

(A few years ago, we were flying as a family in the front row of Y on a United 737. Our 5-year old announced that he desperately needed a bathroom - and fast. My wife grabbed him and took him directly into the J lav. When she came out, the J cabin attendant berated my wife, claimed she was a “threat to aviation security”, and told her she was lucky that she didn’t tell the captain because she would face serious consequences. A total power trip. My wife remained remarkably and uncharacteristically cool — and just kept repeating: “he’s only 5, and he really needed to pee badly”.)
Fiordland likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:14 am
Original Member

As an employee I can confirm:

As each 600/700 gets the cabin reconfiguration the following will occur:
- Install of ovens for Premium and Economy
- Install of third lav, in aft. The group of 2 seats are being removed, so no more 21DE on 600, 24DE on 700 in favour of a third lav aboard
- Install of 2x2 J-style seats in Premium
- Install of cabin dividers and curtain between Premium and Economy
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, WestJet Silver
Having been lucky enough to fly on 601 a few times, I can confirm that it has 2 lavs at the back.

It also has misaligned exit rows, where row 9 has 2 seats either side of the aisle (9B & 9C and 9D & 9E) and then row 10 is the actual exit row, with 3 seats. As such, 10A and 10F are double legroom seats, with no seat in front.

All in all, a very comfortable configuration that I miss when I end up on the 700s that frequent my routes, with less lavs for more pax.

Also, does anyone know what the exit rows on the retrofitted 700s will look like?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: