FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Flight Cancelled Info (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1992362-flight-cancelled-info.html)

Troubler Oct 22, 19 10:00 am

Flight Cancelled Info

Hey everyone, how do I find the reason why my flight was cancelled today? Was supposed to be on WestJet WS3306 for a just after 10am departure from YXX to YYC. Got an email at 6:30am this morning saying they have to reschedule me on to WS190 leaving a little after 5pm. Canít imagine itís weather related. Any idea if Im supposed to be compensated? Thanks in advance!

radnub Oct 22, 19 11:57 am

*WESTJET ENCORE
YXX 1020A MA 3
YYC MA A05 1247P
1FX CXL UNSKED MNTC SAFETY *0849*HDQOCA

Looks like unscheduled maintenance.

Troubler Oct 22, 19 12:00 pm

Thanks a lot Radnub! Is there somewhere I can access that info? I tried a couple sites but they didnít really say why it was cancelled.

Troubler Oct 22, 19 12:02 pm

Also, darn! The new regulations arenít in effect yet. Looks like I could have gotten a nice little injection of WestJet dollars for today haha. Ah well.

couldcarryless Oct 22, 19 12:33 pm

I would call WJ and put up a big complaint, especially if it really inconveniences you/messes up your plans. They are usually really good about giving some sort of WJD compensation (I got 100 on my last one)

radnub Oct 22, 19 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Troubler (Post 31655305)
Thanks a lot Radnub! Is there somewhere I can access that info? I tried a couple sites but they didnít really say why it was cancelled.

No problem! I use Expert Flyer for stuff like this.

Ace Cdn Oct 22, 19 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Troubler (Post 31655310)
Also, darn! The new regulations arenít in effect yet. Looks like I could have gotten a nice little injection of WestJet dollars for today haha. Ah well.

I think if the reason is unscheduled safety you would have gotten nothing even in the new regulations.

Troubler Oct 22, 19 2:06 pm

You think? I thought any type of unscheduled maintenance would fall under the compensation rules. If the plane breaks down or fails a safety, thatís on the airline. If Mother Nature decides to dump a bunch of snow, thatís obviously outside their control.

YYCCL3 Oct 22, 19 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Troubler (Post 31655778)
You think? I thought any type of unscheduled maintenance would fall under the compensation rules. If the plane breaks down or fails a safety, thatís on the airline. If Mother Nature decides to dump a bunch of snow, thatís obviously outside their control.

In Europe it would, but not here. That's their out, and I think we should expect to see a lot of safety related maintenance issues.

Airlines will be required to pay passengers compensation for flight delays or cancellations that are in their control and not related to safety.

Troubler Oct 22, 19 6:52 pm

Oh those sneaky 🤬 lol!

FlyerTalker70 Oct 22, 19 7:20 pm

You think? I thought any type of unscheduled maintenance would fall under the compensation rules. If the plane breaks down or fails a safety, thatís on the airline.

It should be but that's not what the laws are right now! It should always be assumed that the airline will have safe aircraft to transport you from point A t point B. Shame on the airline for cutting corners on safety only to find out at time of departure. Unless and until Transport Canada legislates safety into the airlines by forcing them to crew their cockpits with more than 2 pilots to Western Europe and forcing monetary payouts for safety delays, I will avoid flying Canadian airlines whenever possible.

If Mother Nature decides to dump a bunch of snow, thatís obviously outside their control.

Not entirely true! Even in the EU when that happens the airlines still owe you a duty of care and must provide you with hotels+meals, particularly if an overnight is forced.

Even inside Canada, weather is still considered inside the control of the airline when it comes to compensation for some alliances and travellers. For instance, per Star Alliance policies, those travelling on an inter-continental trip with one of their airlines (i.e. AC) who are either Star Alliance Gold members or travelling in J/F who encounter delays due to issues outside the airlines control, the airline must provide meals, hotel, etc.

Safe Travels,

James

robsaw Oct 26, 19 10:28 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31656700)
It should be but that's not what the laws are right now! It should always be assumed that the airline will have safe aircraft to transport you from point A t point B. Shame on the airline for cutting corners on safety only to find out at time of departure. Unless and until Transport Canada legislates safety into the airlines by forcing them to crew their cockpits with more than 2 pilots to Western Europe and forcing monetary payouts for safety delays, I will avoid flying Canadian airlines whenever possible.

James

If they were cutting corners on safety they would just fly without checking or knowing that something was wrong and put the crew and passengers at risk. Things break! No airline can have spare aircraft, nor spare parts of every kind at every airport to immediately resolve every maintenance issue. To do so would simply price fares out-of-reach. Be careful what you wish for.

The issue with the new regulations is not actually safety but that there is an "out" by classifying maintenance issues that cause a flight delay or cancellation as for "safety" reasons and thus avoiding the requirement to pay compensation (at least speculatively). In some ways, this is worse than the old regime on compensation.

I have no idea what the additional pilot rant is on about.