Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why Not Count Upgrade Spend for Qualifying Spend?!?

Old Oct 17, 19, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Am I alone on this one?

I find it extremely frustrating that the amount I spend to upgrade my seat at check in, or even an upgrade offer that is accepted, does not count towards my qualifying spend. My company does not allow for anything but economy tickets to be booked for pretty much all flights. As such, I pay myself to upgrade where and when I can.

If the money is going directly to West Jet as revenue to them, and is not a tax or fee which they are required to remit to another party, then why shouldn't it count towards qualifying spend!?!?
Old Oct 17, 19, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Whr Spur View Post
If the money is going directly to West Jet as revenue to them, and is not a tax or fee which they are required to remit to another party, then why shouldn't it count towards qualifying spend!?!?
Because it is an upgrade. In airlines perspective, allowing to upgrade (i.e. not upfare) is a favour to you, as you would be able to enjoy premium class with a discount.

Airlines prefer you actually buy into discounted premium instead.
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:40 pm

Not gunna lie I have thought the exact same thing.....my other thought is why can't we use WJD to purchase upgrades much like you can do with competitors?
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Because it is an upgrade. In airlines perspective, allowing to upgrade (i.e. not upfare) is a favour to you, as you would be able to enjoy premium class with a discount.

Airlines prefer you actually buy into discounted premium instead.
That could be the real reason. More likely the reason is the IT systems does talk to each other in the correct places to make this happen.
Old Oct 17, 19, 4:50 pm

If I recall correctly, upgrade spend on both United and Delta do count towards your qualifying Q$ spend. I think you also get a class-if-service bump in your earn rate with both, so you earn Q miles (I think) as though you’d purchased J.

And unlike WSD, points in both United’s and Delta’s program can be used for upgrades.

WestJet is fairly unique in how restricted the use of their “points” are in that respect — but they’d (rightfully) counter that the fact that they can be used to buy any flight makes them far more flexible and valuable than most other programs. I’d agree with that. (I’d far rather forgo “points for upgrades” if I can instead continue to use my WS points towards any flight of my choice. Both options, though, would be even nicer!)

The grass might look greener for upgrade redemption, but it’s not for flight redemption.
Old Oct 17, 19, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
If I recall correctly, upgrade spend on both United and Delta do count towards your qualifying Q$ spend.
DL counts. UA does not.

I think you also get a class-if-service bump in your earn rate with both, so you earn Q miles (I think) as though you’d purchased J.
Not sure about DL. But it is definitely not for UA.

(Note - the industry's practice is no for class-of-service bump.)
Old Oct 17, 19, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL counts. UA does not.

Not sure about DL. But it is definitely not for UA.

(Note - the industry's practice is no for class-of-service bump.)
On DL, money paid for upgrades counts for "spend" requirements only if the upgrade is done before the day of departure or before OLCI.

Moreover, on DL, you earn redeemable miles based on fare costs; class of service or fare class doesn't matter. For status miles, most coach classes earn 100%, with 150% for Y and B coach fares (fully refundable and flexible, so very expensive), (genuine longhaul) Premium Economy, and most business and first class fares, with FULL J and FULL F (fully refundable and flexible with last seat availability) fares earning 200%.
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:22 am

DL counts. UA does not.
Huh. With United, I guess that’s the case for J upgrades but not for spend on E+?

I just checked my UA history. I haven’t purchased an upgrade from them (all have been status comps), but I have recently purchased Economy Plus seating.

(My Silver status only gets me free E+ at check in. If the cabin is tight, or if I can’t check in right at T-24, I’ll sometimes buy it in advance.)

My Economy Plus spend did earn me PQD. It shows up as a separate line in my MP history - reported separately from the corresponding flight.

A whopping extra $35 in qualifying dollars for the most recent one!
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:35 am

More on how United’s policy compares to WJ. This is from the FT article on United’s brand new Mileage Plus qualifying rules:

United has also added additional ways to accrue PQP.

Currently, base fare + surcharge, Economy Plus seating subscriptions, and preferred seat purchases all count towards the spending requirement.

However, the new MileagePlus program has added three new qualifying purchases: MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays, paid upgrades, and flights ticketed and operated by Star Alliance partners.
WS, by comparison, only counts the spend on base fare on WS-marketed/ticketed flights as qualifying for status.
Old Oct 18, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Which is only fair. Someone wants to pay $500 for coach and bid $300 for an upgrade to a flight that would cost $1,200 otherwise.

WestJet says, "well, if you want $800 as the fare basis for WS dollars, spend $800 on a fare". What they are really saying is spend the whole $1,200 for the seat to begin with, because the $800 is still less than the full price of the ticket and therefore you are getting a discount, and should not earn a reward for getting a discount.

Airlines that award miles instead of dollars like WestJet does, don't give the higher miles (equal to WS$) based on COS if the passenger did not pay for the COS but was upgraded through their various methods of doing that including paid upgrades, miles or cash+miles.

So if you pay $500 to upgrade JFK-MIA on a coach ticket you earn coach ticket miles, not business class miles. Because you did not buy a business class fare. To be fair then the same rules apply on WS. You did not buy the class of service, you paid more than coach and less than full price and get a % of what the ticket cost.

Last edited by ricktoronto; Oct 18, 19 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh. With United, I guess that’s the case for J upgrades but not for spend on E+?
This is a WS thread. So I don't want to OT so much. But FWIW - in all purposes, E+ is NOT an upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:12 pm
Suspended

DL counts. UA does not.

UA absolutely has done this before, at least for offers during OLCI. Come 2020, they'll be counting even the co-pays you often have to pay with a milage supported upgrade to Polaris J.

-James

Search this Thread